Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2017, 12:43 PM   #1
JTL
Registered Member

Who buys their saltwater?

How much do you pay?

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:02 PM   #2
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

I used to pay 12-13 bucks for 5 gallons of premixed saltwater. I bought a RO a few months back and its much much easier! Mix my own now. Saves the trip to the store, is cheaper, and I get clear RO water for ATO. No more buying distilled at the store! Trust me, just in ATO water, it pays for itself quick!

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Fiver
Registered Member

Most places in the Twin Cities, Minnesota area charge 50 cents per gallon for RODI freshwater, and $1 per gallon for RODI saltwater.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:26 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I'm way to lazy to lug buckets of water from the LFS to home. I don't even haul them to the tank. That's what my Mag18 is for!

Couple that with the need to test any "ready-made" water to make sure it is what they say it is and it just does not make any sense whatsoever to buy it elsewhere.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:37 PM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

12 bucks for 5 gallons ($2.40 / gallon) seems way too high.

$1 per gallons is more like it. Seems like I've seen 1-1.25 per gallon, not that I ever bought it.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 02:45 PM   #6
smatter
Registered Member

I saw a store employee throw salt in someone's bucket and swish it around with his hand once. It was a long time ago in a different state but it left an impression. You never know what you are getting.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 03:12 PM   #7
JTL
Registered Member

I do have an RO system but I was curious. For what ever reason I go through more resin than I should but even so my cost per gallon of finished saltwater is under $.30 and I go through about 50 gallons per month, my cost for plain RO is under a dime. I suppose if a person has a nano it may not be worth the upfront cost of an RO system.

Unread 11/06/2017, 03:24 PM   #8
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
12 bucks for 5 gallons ($2.40 / gallon) seems way too high.

$1 per gallons is more like it. Seems like I've seen 1-1.25 per gallon, not that I ever bought it.
lol your telling me! Thats petco for ya. Only LFS in my area. Combine the 12 bucks for saltwater and dollar per distilled water from the store, I think my RO unit paid for itself in 2-3 months.

Unread 11/06/2017, 03:27 PM   #9
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
lol your telling me! Thats petco for ya. Only LFS in my area. Combine the 12 bucks for saltwater and dollar per distilled water from the store, I think my RO unit paid for itself in 2-3 months.
I hate Petco, their prices are outrageous and they do not match their own online prices. I bought so sand a while back and it was on sale online, in store it was x2.

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
I hate Petco, their prices are outrageous and they do not match their own online prices. I bought so sand a while back and it was on sale online, in store it was x2.

Not true. They have matched everything that I have asked. Usually heaters and small stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 04:10 PM   #11
JTL
Registered Member

Well, it has happened to me twice in 3 months. You shop Petco and I will go to a real lfs.

Unread 11/06/2017, 04:17 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

JTL do you have a post about your DI usage/problem?
We can address/fix that...

Unread 11/06/2017, 06:20 PM   #13
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
Not true. They have matched everything that I have asked. Usually heaters and small stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it depends on the store and even the manager that's working. I've had someone price match for me, then another person in the same store not price match. Just hit or miss I guess. Likely doesn't help that my Petco is the only saltwater LFS for about an hour plus. No competition means higher prices. However, their fish and corals (what very few corals) are still cheaper then ordering online. Just takes awhile before I actually see something I like. But i guess that keeps me from going to fast, forces me to be patient!

Unread 11/06/2017, 06:26 PM   #14
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
JTL do you have a post about your DI usage/problem?
We can address/fix that...
Thanks, I have tried a few things. One of the problems, I think, is my pressure is about 50psi. I have kinda accepted the issue since I really don't use that much water anyway. I may get a pump and see if that helps.

Unread 11/07/2017, 03:49 AM   #15
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

John, you should see my system. I have a Cirqua RO that I got used from a friend. He got it from a coffee house that was going out of business, a steal of a deal. It has 2 RO membranes that are each 2' long (in the stainless steel sleeves in the middle of the unit) along with pre and post filters. It has a huge pump that makes 120psi and it makes about 30gph. I added a 'normal' DI canister and have to refill it every 4 to 6 months. I use about 100 to 150 gallons per month (mostly freshwater for evaporation from 4 tanks). I have a 45g RO/DI storage tank and a 120g reject water storage tank (an old cistern) and we use the reject water to do laundry.

Unread 11/07/2017, 05:29 AM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, I have tried a few things. One of the problems, I think, is my pressure is about 50psi. I have kinda accepted the issue since I really don't use that much water anyway. I may get a pump and see if that helps.
Nah... 50PSI ain't that bad.. I ran for years like that in my old house and had no problems with DI lifespan..

Unread 11/07/2017, 06:54 AM   #17
JTL
Registered Member

Ron, you could start a bottled water business as a second career.

Unread 11/07/2017, 06:57 AM   #18
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Nah... 50PSI ain't that bad.. I ran for years like that in my old house and had no problems with DI lifespan..
I will have to check it today. It may even be less than 50psi. I have been meaning to take off the saddle valve and drill out the hole.

Unread 11/07/2017, 07:03 AM   #19
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
I will have to check it today. It may even be less than 50psi. I have been meaning to take off the saddle valve and drill out the hole.

More then likely your issue. Those saddle valves just plain suck, and do not let enough water through for decent pressure.

If I were in your shoes, a pipe cutter(assuming you have copper), and a couple sharkbite fittings with T so you can get your full pressure at the RO/DI system.

If your into DIY and can sweat copper pipes, best way, and the only way you know 100% it won't leak(I've had those sharkbite fittings leak over time) is to just sweat a T on your line. But not everyone knows how to, or can sweat copper properly.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 08:07 AM   #20
JTL
Registered Member

I can sweat fittings but don't need to since my house is all cpvc. I will check this out.

Unread 11/07/2017, 08:19 AM   #21
nereefpat
Registered Member

I agree that 50psi isn't that bad. I wish I had 50 psi. Something else is going on there. Adding a tee is a good place to start.

P.S....And I'm jealous of Ron's system.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 08:26 AM   #22
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
I can sweat fittings but don't need to since my house is all cpvc. I will check this out.

CPVC even easier. Cut and glue.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 05:48 AM   #23
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
If your into DIY and can sweat copper pipes, best way, and the only way you know 100% it won't leak(I've had those sharkbite fittings leak over time) is to just sweat a T on your line.
Sharkbites done right do not leak. That isn't to say you may have a damaged sharkbite, or used one improperly and had it fail. They have been approved to be used inside closed walls for many years now. I have 4 under fairly serious side stress do to a confined space and a serious curve that were installed close to 10 years ago and they have not leaked. I used them all the time, but not on saltwater for an aquarium (just like copper).

Unread 11/08/2017, 05:53 AM   #24
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
I agree that 50psi isn't that bad. I wish I had 50 psi. Something else is going on there. Adding a tee is a good place to start.

P.S....And I'm jealous of Ron's system.
How about the fact that my friend sold it to me with 3 month old RO membranes and a spare motor and pump head for $150 and some help selling off his other equipment and livestock as he had to get out of the hobby. That was 8 years ago and I just replaced the RO membranes. I still have my old RO/DI system hanging on the wall above the Cirque system, but it never gets used!

Unread 11/08/2017, 07:23 AM   #25
JTL
Registered Member

I drilled out the pinhole made by the saddle valve to 1/4" since the rest of the tubing is
1/4". It did not change the water pressure, still at a little over 40 psi.