Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2010, 10:32 AM   #1
desx2501
Registered Member

Powerheads and Heaters : Are they too strong?

Hi,
I want to buy a powerhead for my 55g fish only aquarium, and I want to add an extra heater in my 10g sump (I know, 10g is not much).

Pump part of the question :
I already own a Maxi-jet 1200 pump(my sump return pump), rated 295GPH, that I tried out in my tank to see what kind of power I should use for a powerhead, and it was too much. I taught I should go for something around 125-160GPH. However, when I look at the GPH ratings on powerheads like Koralias, they seem so huge (for example, I saw a 750 GPH they say is good for 30-50g). Sure they can't be compared with each other since they are not the same shape at all, but is there a conversion factor or something? What kind of GPH should I look for for my 55g tank? (I also want a mini powerhead for my sump to keep my Chaeto rolling, but that's a bonus question since I think I know what I'll be using)

Heater part of the question :
I see 200watts heaters rated for 80-105g tanks, I see 300watts heaters rated for 160-260g, etc. Will I cook my fish if I get the 300watts and set it to a lower settings? (I'm talking about a "Jager Heaters 300 Watt")

desx2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2010, 01:09 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The maxijet produces a small stream of water so 200gph seems like a lot. When you get the propeller pumps the flow is much wider so it doesn't effect things the same way.

Two maxijet 900s are a good choice for powerheads in your tank.

As far as heaters go that is not safe what you propose. The heater would do just fine when operating normally but if it fails (when it fails) it will cook your tank.

Go with the appropriate size heater and if you can afford it get a controller like a ranco to shut down the heater should it fail and get stuck in the on position.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2010, 02:32 PM   #3
aleonn
Registered Member

I would recommend Koralia pumps for your 55g. Their flow is wider than the Maxi-Jets, and when you have one pump on each side of the tank, they generate nice random and turbolent flow. The livestock in my 37g mix-reef seem comfortable in 20-30x turnover.

For heaters, 3-5 watts per gallon is a pretty good rule-of-thumb. So 150-200W would be more appropriate for your tank, unless you ambient temperature is always cold.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2010, 07:24 AM   #4
RocketSurgeon
Registered Member

It is recommended to have more than one smaller heater. This helps alleviate cooking your tank in case the heater sticks on.

I'm going to throw numbers out. If a 300 watt heater heats your tank 2 degrees in one hour, and sticks on as soon as you leave for work at 8am, by the time you get home your tank will be 16 degrees hotter or more. If you have three 100 watt heaters and one of them sticks on , your tank would be 16 degrees divided by 3 = 5+ degrees hotter by the time you get home. This smaller increase allows you a chance to correct and/or remedy the problem.

As previously mentioned, a controller works well for added security as well.

An article that may be of interest below:

http://www.beananimal.com/articles/a...-to-know!.aspx

RocketSurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2010, 07:28 AM   #5
RocketSurgeon
Registered Member

I have previously read you can have up to 50 times the volume for flow.

I'm running four K3's in my 75.

RocketSurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2010, 12:05 AM   #6
desx2501
Registered Member

@RocketSurgeon
After reeding what you said, and the page you linked, I went for a 150watts. I'll have that one and my "old one" near their minimum settings and it will work great. At some point, when I'll have less stuff to buy already, I'll get myself a controler :-D

Thanks all!

desx2501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heaters, powerhead, powerheads