Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2010, 07:59 PM   #1
jacksonpt
Registered Member

to those who are running Eheim 1262 externally

How do you have the inlet to the pump plumbed? I took the fitting to lowes with me and it seemed like the 1" spa flex gave a pretty snug fit. I've got a hose clamp on it but I'm still getting leaks - the tapered fitting on the pump seems to want to back out of the spa flex.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 08:57 PM   #2
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Jackson - while I'm not sure of the size for your pump, but all the eheim pumps' slip fitting unscrew. The female threadded hole left should accept a standard sized NPT connection. Just find the right size adapter and it's a great way to hook up a PVC - or flex PVC - pipe.

All that said, you could not pay me to use an eheim externally again. I had one leak once. I replace the pump, and had the replacement do the same thing. Granted this used as drain pump on a closed loop system. And the loop was pressurized at between 5 and 8 psi, and used as something like a return you won't be subjecting yours to pressure inthe inlet side.

I guess the point is... They can leak when used externally. I don't trust 'em.

Unread 04/03/2010, 09:36 AM   #3
mfinn
Registered Member

I used a pvc threaded nipple to a standard hose barb to a flexable hose on my suction side. All 1".
I've been using this pump to feed my chiller for about a year.

Unread 04/03/2010, 12:17 PM   #4
hillscp
Soylent Green is People!!

Spa flex is not made to be used with hose clamps. It is meant to be used just like PVC (glued)
Like Scolley says, find a PVC adapter with the right thread on one end and slip for the spa flex on the other then glue it together (or use a union).

Current Tank Info: Salt water since 1995

Last edited by hillscp; 04/03/2010 at 12:49 PM.
hillscp is offline   Reply With Quote