Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2008, 06:36 PM   #351
i2ik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green Thumb
What lights are you having over your cheato? If the algea in your main tank has better lighting than your fuge, it makes the competition eazier for the algea in your tank. In the past Ive used clear acrylic hang on baskets to grow macroalgeas in my main tank. This way my cheato had great lighting and grew VERY rapidly.

When you say you only have it 1/3 full do you mean theres more space for your cheato to grow in your fuge? If so let it grow bigger as to occupy most of the space (providing there is intense light over it) This will help it outcompete other algeas. When it gets to the point where its too big and is stuffing your fuge, harvest about 1/3 of it, leaving it fairly large still, keeping it AHEAD of the game in nutrient absorbtion. Hope that helps and your not too tired of reading about all the "fine tuning" sugestions.
Thanks! I will try you trick putting an acrylic box with cheato in the main tank to make it growth. My T5 under the fuge are not enough, i will add another light next time i go to Lowes.

I have been getting some urchin from a friend of mine and they are eating it, but quite slowly even if they are huge! Also add a foxface that is eating them from time to time and a naso that is also doing the same thing. The naso will probably be the only "big" fish i will be adding in this tank.

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 06:39 PM   #352
i2ik
Registered Member

Some new additions to the tank over a few weeks:

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:03 PM   #353
Jar*Head
Premium Member

Very impressive set up Richard. Love the open aquascape....

Current Tank Info: 480g peninsula
Jar*Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:43 PM   #354
JCTewks
Moved On

what is that tang in th third from last picture?

JCTewks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:54 PM   #355
oxbeard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
Looks like it might be a white cheek tang. Just ordered one myself. Very beautiful tang.

Current Tank Info: not enough, planning for 500g expansion
oxbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:55 PM   #356
adammreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks

its an achilles tang

adammreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:55 PM   #357
kidney514
Premium Member

Acanthurus achilles aka Achilles Tang

kidney514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 07:57 PM   #358
oxbeard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adammreef
its an achilles tang
Cool. Hadn't paid attention to the difference with the orange coloration.

Current Tank Info: not enough, planning for 500g expansion
oxbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 08:49 PM   #359
tbone28
Registered Member

very nice fish list, Richard. I just posted my wish list on my thread, and we want pretty much the same fish. lol They were also just talking about that anthias, too! I think it's pretty cool, but pricey!

Is your copperband eating prepared food?

tbone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 09:10 PM   #360
i2ik
Registered Member

Thank you everyone

jarhead: I also love the open look for the aquascape. I have been pulling some grape algea caulerpa in my tank and accidentaly knock one island. I will change it a bit and try with 1/2" PVC pipe to see if it could be more stable, something like Fudge did with his tank.

the 3 picture from last is an achilles tang. I never realised that they had a bump on their head once "adult"

Terry: Indeed we are having some similar taste! Up to now, the powder brown tang did nothing to the achilles. I seperated the tank in 2 with eggcrate but he manage to go on the other side. He is actually afraid of the !

The anthias is pricey, but with the deal i got, it was a really good price! Nice pattern which is quite different from other fishes, and lots of altitude. The anthias tried to bully him with no success! Eating already and always in the open.

The copperband is not eating prepared food yet, he is nipping on the rocks, its been 3 weeks that i have him, never saw him eat, but he is also always out in the open scavenging for food on the rocks. I still hope he will get some interest in prepared food

Unread 03/23/2008, 09:28 PM   #361
cbui2
Premium Member

sweet score Richard, the pair angels are pretty. do they adapt very well, also are they taking food and what type? i always wanted to get a pair but some say it hard getting them to eat in the beginning. all those fishes are cool looking, especially the anthias.

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 09:43 PM   #362
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Bart! The bellus angel was eating on the first day. I saw him many times and always asked the LFS to feed him. My LFS let me know about the bellus that they just got, so i came and asked him to feed the angel and i was really surprised to see him eat right away about 15 mysis shrimps in less than a minute!

The wanatabei angel is more shy. He is hiding in the rocks and come out from time to time at feeding time. He is looking at the food but havent seen him taking a bite yet.

I feed them brine shrimp and 2 kind of mysis shrimps with guarlic and entice from seachem. There are also some pellets that i throw in but most of my fishes dont eat it.

The anthias was half the price of what is shown on the net, so i would be stupid not to take it and he is a great fish so far! Does not swim much, staying pretty much at the same place, in a area of about 6x6 lol!

I am more concern about the achilles tang to take prepared food. I really hope he will get to eat soon!

Unread 03/23/2008, 10:27 PM   #363
cbui2
Premium Member

now i know the achilles is very hard to keep, finding one that eat is rare. i would try the achilles again maybe in about 8-12 months down the line. great deals on the anthias as i would have done the same thing.

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2008, 10:46 PM   #364
i2ik
Registered Member

The achilles is a very hard fish to keep IMO. I had one before and it took him 2 weeks before starting to eat. Its a hard fish to find here in montreal, i hope i will be able to keep it! The anthias is expensive, but he is quite hardy, compare to the ventralis anthias which is very beautiful, also very expensive but harder to get to eat. Between both, i think the one i have is safer to get.

Unread 04/13/2008, 08:39 AM   #365
kidney514
Premium Member

Richard, where did you get the Achille tangs, he is on my shopping list?

BTW was nice meeting you yesterday!

kidney514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 07:16 PM   #366
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Richard, look like your tank is coming along nicely...can't wait to get water in mine...

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2008, 08:02 PM   #367
i2ik
Registered Member

Hey Lorin, it was nice meeting you too! I am looking foward to go to your place to see your tank!

Ed, Thanks! I cant wait to see your tank fill up with water also! I should not wait too long at the speed you are building

Unread 04/14/2008, 01:09 AM   #368
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by i2ik

Ed, Thanks! I cant wait to see your tank fill up with water also! I should not wait too long at the speed you are building
Slowing down a little as now is the plumbing part, which I hate the most...

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 08:44 AM   #369
i2ik
Registered Member

I wonder how you define "slowing down" considering your speed on everything else

Unread 04/14/2008, 11:09 AM   #370
Green Thumb
Registered Member

Those are an amazing selection of fish!! Would love to see this tank of yours in person one day.

Green Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 11:58 AM   #371
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Green Thumb, if you are in Montreal area, you can drop by once i am done my finals

Unread 04/14/2008, 12:02 PM   #372
Ginzo
Registered Member

Hey Richard,

I really like the last fish in your pictures. Where did you get it ?

I saw an identical one at Octopus..but didn't ask him if he was selling it. What kind of fish is it ?

Ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 12:03 PM   #373
i2ik
Registered Member

I am trying since yesterday a "new" approch to kill this tough grape caulerpa algea by turning the lights off and only keeping 2x3' 39W T5 Artnic + over the tank to give my corals minimum light in the purpose of killing all that algea! I have been told that within 3 days, it should start dying. I also fill up my FR509 reactor full of rowaphos. After 3 days, if the algea is till there, i am planning on keeping the middle light on for 4 hours.

I hope it will get to an end with this algea!
I am also hoping not to loose any corals in this process..

Unread 04/14/2008, 12:04 PM   #374
i2ik
Registered Member

Hi Chris, its called an blotchy anthias, really expensive! Its selling on the net for about 325-350$
I got it from WF as a special order.

Unread 04/14/2008, 12:09 PM   #375
Ginzo
Registered Member

It's really nice ! Octopus had the same one and I found it amazingly cool. But didn't dare ask him about a price.

Ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote