Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

Bluegirdled (Majextic) Angel

Any experiences in SPS only reef tanks? Please share. Tank is a 120G inwall design. Coral growth is agressive. Ligthly stocked with fish. Fairly open reef structure.

Thanks!

Crazy4salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

anyone?

Unread 02/03/2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Dakota Reef
Registered Member

I've had a Majestic Angel in my mixed reef for a little over two years and he's done very well. Mine was quite small when I got him. Probably just in his adult colors. He was quite shy at first, preferring to peer out at the world from caves in the rocks. He was very skittish about movement outside the tank. My wife says I had him a month before she saw him (she still doesn't know the right way to walk into the aquarium room). Even though he's grown to be the second biggest fish in the tank, he's the first to dart for cover if he's startled.

He eats pretty much anything offered from Nori to any of the Ocean Nutrition frozen foods to NS pellets to fresh seafood. He initially decided my Long Nose Butterflyfish knew how to get food and would follow him around like a puppy.

My Purple Tang spent about ten minutes trying to harass him and gave up. Since then no issues of aggression either to or from the other fish.

As for "reef safe", he will always check out what's knew in the tank. If I move a rock even just a few inches he's soon over looking to see what's up. On several occasions, when I've added a new SPS frag he's inspected and tasted it. But it always been just once and never bothered them again. The polyps seem to be no worse for wear.

No clams or LPS in the tank so no experience there.

He does regularly sample one piece of red zoanthids that I have to the point that if it was a small frag it probably wouldn't survive. However, as it was several inches long it has grown, in fact he's fragged it a couple of times so its been able to thrive in general.

Giving him caves and overhangs in your tank to retreat to will definitely make him feel more comfortable.

Good luck if you decide to do it.....they're a beautiful fish!!

Dakota Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2008, 01:15 PM   #4
MGB
Registered Member

Majestic

There's plenty of people had Majestics in thier reef tanks for years now. Overall they seam quite low risk, as far as sps's are concerned. I've had one for around 5 months and I've never even seen that fish go any where near a coral, lps or sps. It might be a different story when it comes to clams, I feed clams a lot, so I'm fairly sure my fish would definately eat a clam.

I tried a slightly different approach with my angels, I established the fish in the tank first and then started adding corals, by this time the fish had become almost totally acclimated into eating food I offered and the daily routine of being fed. I think this cuts down on them wandering around the tank sampling everything including your corals. I see very little feeding activity from the two larger angels I have in the tank, Majestic & juv Emporer, but the two dwarfs, Flame & Cherub, are constantly searching and picking at the live rock. In my opinion, the dwarfs are the risky ones, they just seam far more likely to sample corals.

MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2008, 09:47 PM   #5
ReefingIt
Registered Member

How is the Majestic with Acans, softies, dendros, sun corals in general. LFS has one Majestic about 3 inches with adult colors that is eating really well and I am comtemplating giving it a try but kind of hesitant. Anyone has any experiencxe with these guys in a lps, softie tank?

ReefingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

Dakota and MGB, thank you both for the thorough advice. Beautiful fish you have there. Based on your observations do you think 120G is too small for this fish?

Unread 02/04/2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Dakota Reef
Registered Member

I think you'd be okay with a 120 especially if you get a smaller individual. If I remember right, Scott Michaels recommended around 100 gallons as the minimum size.

I started mine out in a 125 and then moved him into the 270 about six months later.

Dakota Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2008, 10:02 PM   #8
scoutmaniak
Registered Member

I had one for about 6 months. Loved it. Great color, and hearty eater. He sampled random zoa's, but never took out the whole colony. He would eat tiny corals, sponge, algea..u know the normal stuff angels eat. But he never tuched my open brain, or the other "tasty" corals. I would say ummmm 3 months before he got really brave. If nobody was in the room, he was out and about, but if u came in, he would go to his cave and watch u for a min before he came back out. I really cant say he got as brave as say an emperor. But he did get better. They grow slowwww, so if u dont wanna wait years for a mature fish buy a larger one.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon FW, 100 gallon Reef and 15 gallon nano
scoutmaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2008, 11:05 PM   #9
lesleybird
Registered Member

Re: Bluegirdled (Majextic) Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy4salth2o
Any experiences in SPS only reef tanks? Please share. Tank is a 120G inwall design. Coral growth is agressive. Ligthly stocked with fish. Fairly open reef structure.

Thanks!
They have two nice ones in the Divers Den at liveaquaria.com. They always have nice fish and I trust them. Got my majestic there and he is a nice one that eats well. If you don't want them eating your corals feed them well three times a day even if it means giving them a daytime feeder for one of their meals with flakes and they will be less likely to eat your corals. A full fish is less likely to eat corals. Lesley

lesleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

I agree about the feeder. I currently use a daytime feeder with great results. Bioload stays constant and fish stay happy.

How large has your angel grown?

Unread 02/05/2008, 09:09 PM   #11
JazzZero
Registered Member

Idk in my personal experience i have had 2 Majestics first one died b/c it was impossible to feed. The second onre is still living. Anyway i have had them in a reef tan and they do eat coral. But this is just my two cents and its all on the Majestics behaviour or personality. But, if you are thinking of getting an angel i recommend Regal Angelfish

JazzZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2008, 09:09 PM   #12
JazzZero
Registered Member

Idk in my personal experience i have had 2 Majestics first one died b/c it was impossible to feed. The second onre is still living. Anyway i have had them in a reef tan and they do eat coral. But this is just my two cents and its all on the Majestics behaviour or personality. But, if you are thinking of getting an angel i recommend Regal Angelfish.

JazzZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2008, 01:13 AM   #13
IPowderBlueTang
Registered Member

I have an Majestic Angel for 6 months and it was 2 inches in size. I have a mix reef and it doesn't touch anything at all. I am very please with my Majestic. I feed only once in the evening. I would highly recommend this fish for a reef, it is a beautiful fish in coloration. But this is just my experience, you might get one and it is a menace. Just the luck of the draw. But you won't know unless you try!

IPowderBlueTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2008, 06:01 PM   #14
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

What about the tank size? 120G too small?

Unread 02/06/2008, 06:14 PM   #15
reef_doug
Premium Member

I would say 120g is the minimum, I would try it if you find a small one. I have one for 4 months now and he hasn't touched any SPS or clams. Occasionally picked at a Frogspawn but didn't really eat it. The are one of the safer large angels, but still hit or miss.

Majestic Angels can be very difficult to get to eat at first. My first one died from not eating. My second one eats like a pig. Try to find one that is eating pellets in the LFS or definitely buy from a retailer with a live guarrantee. Majestic Angels need lots of Algae (Nori) also.

Current Tank Info: 180r SoCal Creations, 75g SCC1M Sump, WM EcoBAK, NextReef SMR1, TropicMarin Salt, ACIII, 3x250w HQI Phoenix 14k, 2x140w Super Actinics, ATi BM250, Eheim 1262, Tunze 2x6100+7095, Tunze Osmolator, 6 stage RODI w/ Spectrapure MaxCap
reef_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2008, 10:26 AM   #16
Crazy4salth2o
Registered Member

great to know. thanks for the recommendation.

Unread 02/11/2008, 06:28 AM   #17
CAreefer
Premium Member

I've had a <3" juvenile just into adult colors in my 265 for a bit over a month. He will pick occasionally at random SPS and has made a pretty good hole in a large encrusting monti. Not looking real promising at this point. I feed several times a day. With any luck he'll outgrow it. Wishful thinking?

CAReefer

Current Tank Info: 265 Gallon A.G.E. Starphire SPS in the build stage. 3 400 watt Helios 20k on PFO HQI/Ice Cap ballasts. Bubble King 300 skimmer.
CAreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 01:15 PM   #18
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

MGB,

Just logged on to post a question about mixing dwarfs when your post caught my eye.

You have both a cherub and a flameback in the same tank. Any problems? I have a pair of cherubs and would love to add other dwarfs, but had read they were intolerant of other species.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed up reef started April 2005. 4 small tanks on same sump.
iamwhatiam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 02:14 PM   #19
jnc914
Registered Member

MGB- That is a beautiful Majestic, his colors are amazing.

iamwhatiam52- I have a potter and a coral beauty in my tank, in addition to an Emperor and Juvi goldflake. The dwarfs fought initially and now they are pretty close, with an occassional territory dispute. I plan on adding a fischers, multicolor and a venustus. I think the key is to switch around your rock, even if it is temporary, just to confuse the fish and break up existing territories. Also my tank size helps to curve disputes. In a 180, you may see more of an issue with the aggression, depending on what you want to add.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 09:00 PM   #20
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Good to hear that different dwarfs can sort things out. My guess would be that the less similar they are, the more likely they will tolerate eachother.

I want to add a Flame and a Golden. The Flame should be big enough to fend off the established cherubs, but I've read the Goldens are VERY tmid. Should I try it? If they don't work out, the only other places I have to move them to is a few 20 gal tanks fed from the same sump, but a 20 is probably too small.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed up reef started April 2005. 4 small tanks on same sump.
iamwhatiam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 12:32 PM   #21
danorth
Moved On

Have to share a pic of one I had:

danorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 02:16 PM   #22
discotu
Registered Member

beautiful! I just added one too but my powder blue tang is kicking the snot out of it...hopfully the tang will get over it and the majestic will pull through.

Current Tank Info: on a break
discotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 02:36 PM   #23
danorth
Moved On

Put a mirror on the tank, tang will be distracted.

danorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Mine is tearing up my sps polyps. ESP millies.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 06:12 PM   #25
sean48183
Registered Member

beautiful majestics everyone and I am thinking about getting one. Has anyone ever kept them with zoo's? I 've heard they are some real zoo munchers.

By the way I have a yellow dwarf and a rusty dwarf in my 150g and except for an occasional squabble they don't even pay attention to each other. I would only probably try this in at least a 6' tank though.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote