Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > NY Reef Club
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/05/2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Staaan
The Maaan

Thumbs up Aqua Controller - Apex Jr.

Hmm... this looks pretty good.... especially with internet functionality... I like it!

"We were able to get more information on the upcoming Neptune Systems Apex Jr controller we touched on yesterday. While we incorrectly dubbed the unit AquaController Jr initially, the additional details from Neptune Systems on the Apex Jr showcase where this new entry-level aquarium controller will make its stand. As we noted yesterday, the Apex Jr definitely borrows from the EnergyBar 4 on the outside but has many of the features from the robust Apex aquarium controller on the inside. Neptune incorporated many useful features in one box to get the aquarium controller newbie up and running quickly, while having the ability to add on and upgrade as needed. More details after the jump.

The Neptune Apex Jr is scheduled to be available next month with these key features:

Starting at $149.95 includes Apex Jr module and temperature probe
Built-in Ethernet port — Has all the same monitoring, control and configuration features of the Apex and Apex Lite
iPhone application
Email or text message alarms
Resettable circuit breaker for over current protection
True data logging on all monitor probes and outlets
Four independently controllable 120V outlets — 8 Amps each and total current must be less than 15 Amps
All AquaBus accessories work with the Apex Jr
Plug and Play AquaBus expansion
Two-port AquaBus hub for expansion – Expandable up to five AquaBus accessories
Simple firmware updates over Ethernet
Four Mounting Holes for easy installation
Compact custom aluminum enclosure (7.5 x 3.75 x 1.8 in.)
"

And definitely more in my price range.

Camera: Canon Rebel T1i

Lenses: Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron SP Macro 90mm f/2.8

Current Tank Info: 75g Rimless w/ 40g Sump | DIY LEDs | (2) MP10ES | BM NAC-9 Protein Skimmer
Staaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2011, 10:14 AM   #2
TomRoach
Registered Member

Can it handle 4 channels of 0-10v ?
Can it accept an optionally-bought pH probe?

Thanks!

TomRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2011, 10:59 AM   #3
wonderballz
Registered Member

That looks very promising. I wonder how much the fully loaded version would be. I have an RKL now, but would like to upgrade to a more robust controller when I upgrade.

wonderballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2011, 11:03 PM   #4
DrHarryLopez
One Happy Reefer

Sounds real good Stan!

Current Tank Info: 180g reef, 55g Frag, 40g refuge, 75g sump, 2 Ati 250 Bubble masters, Wavebox, stream2, MP40's, blueline HD 100 main pump
DrHarryLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 12:58 PM   #5
afernandez
Never Quit!!

This sounds nice

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Staaan
The Maaan

Yeah. Going to start saving my pennies now.

My only issue is that my tank is in the basement and my router is on the 2nd floor. So I'm gunna need prob a 100ft Ethernet cable.

But the other problem is bringing down the cable neatly to the basement without having mommy and daddy kill me. :-/

Wish they would just make this wireless...

Wonder if there is a way I could...

Lenses: Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron SP Macro 90mm f/2.8

Current Tank Info: 75g Rimless w/ 40g Sump | DIY LEDs | (2) MP10ES | BM NAC-9 Protein Skimmer
Old 04/10/2011, 02:31 PM   #7
phasezero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staaan View Post
Yeah. Going to start saving my pennies now.

My only issue is that my tank is in the basement and my router is on the 2nd floor. So I'm gunna need prob a 100ft Ethernet cable.

But the other problem is bringing down the cable neatly to the basement without having mommy and daddy kill me. :-/

Wish they would just make this wireless...

Wonder if there is a way I could...
A long time ago when i had a Linksys WRT-54G V4, i flashed it with DD-WRT and used it as a wireless ethernet bridge. So basically I had my main wireless router connected to the cable modem. Then across the house i had a room with 3 computers in it that were all connected to the Linksys router with ethernet. Then the two routers just communicate wirelessly.

Heres the exact thread i used 5 years ago. It looks like people are still doing it using recent linksys routers. I'm sure theres dedicated devices that accomplish this same feature, but they will probably cost a bit more. Wireless Ethernet Bridge is the term used to describe this feature.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1115

phasezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Tcook
Premium Member

Phasezero- could you do that with a WAP54G access point?

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2011, 06:27 PM   #9
jarrett shark
Registered Member

I want one for my frag tank, when do you think it will be out

jarrett shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Ninja1
Registered Member

You can run a switch or aka Hub on the lower level to avoid running 100ft. If you go with a switch, avoid the wireless ones, as they can drop for a few seconds bc of interferences. If you go with the 100ft cable- get a hard one and run it through a window from the outside. Typically there are holes by the window already if you have cable or dish. Just ideas, a quality cable will make all the difference.

Now for the stupid question. I guess it's worth waiting for this but can you connect a Tunze Osmolator ATO to this unit. I'm guess this controller will also do thermom? How does it compare to reefkeepers?

Thx

“In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.”

Visit NiNJA's Build Thread on Ninja1's Homepage
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 05:23 AM   #11
Staaan
The Maaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett shark View Post
I want one for my frag tank, when do you think it will be out
Should be out at end the of May...

Old 04/23/2011, 05:25 AM   #12
Staaan
The Maaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1 View Post
You can run a switch or aka Hub on the lower level to avoid running 100ft. If you go with a switch, avoid the wireless ones, as they can drop for a few seconds bc of interferences. If you go with the 100ft cable- get a hard one and run it through a window from the outside. Typically there are holes by the window already if you have cable or dish. Just ideas, a quality cable will make all the difference.

Now for the stupid question. I guess it's worth waiting for this but can you connect a Tunze Osmolator ATO to this unit. I'm guess this controller will also do thermom? How does it compare to reefkeepers?

Thx
Not sure about the ATO...

But I'm pretty sure it can do majority of what the regular Apex can do except maybe control LEDs.. I'm not very knowledgable on controllers as I don't have one (yet )

Old 05/19/2011, 04:31 PM   #13
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

I will be paying close attention to this as I have always wanted a controller. I am also asking the question about a pH probe, can this be added?

Also, since it will have an ethernet port, it would seem that all you would need is to hook up a wireless game adaptor to your wireless network. Or use a Powerline adapter and internet goes through the electric wireing in your house.

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 09:18 AM   #14
richardhmc
Registered Member

Hey Staaan, did you ever buy this? I'm thinking of getting this and since its so new, there aren't many reviews out there

richardhmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Ninja1
Registered Member

I love mine!

Old 08/30/2011, 12:19 PM   #16
richardhmc
Registered Member

It does everything? Do you use your phone to access it? That's the biggest perk I like. That I can control it on my phone hehe.

Anything you don't like about it?

Old 08/30/2011, 02:34 PM   #17
4ddiction
Registered Member

I have to look into one of these so i can monitor the tank while im away at school.

4ddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Ninja1
Registered Member

What I don't like is that you have to to for expansions. On the upside- if you plan out everything, it can be a lot cheaper then the reg apex. I use my phone for it all the time!

Old 08/30/2011, 08:20 PM   #19
richardhmc
Registered Member

Quote:
What I don't like is that you have to to for expansions. On the upside- if you plan out everything, it can be a lot cheaper then the reg apex. I use my phone for it all the time!
what expansions do you have attached?

I just want it to tell me temperature, and control my lights thats all

Old 08/30/2011, 09:31 PM   #20
Ninja1
Registered Member

That's exactly what I wanted one to do!!! I did diy LEDs so it controls my lights and updates me on the temp. I don't need a display since it comes on my phone so the jr was perfect. I got a deal on the jr but had to buy a VDm module for the LED connection.

Old 08/30/2011, 09:37 PM   #21
richardhmc
Registered Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I wanted one to do!!! I did diy LEDs so it controls my lights and updates me on the temp. I don't need a display since it comes on my phone so the jr was perfect. I got a deal on the jr but had to buy a VDm module for the LED connection.
yeah I'm thinking about getting a vortech and getting that expansion for the vortech pump.

whered you buy yours?

Old 08/31/2011, 12:06 AM   #22
Ninja1
Registered Member

Reef geek- I honestly didn't see a reason to connect the vortices. If anyhow you can just use the jr to turn them off/on

Old 08/31/2011, 12:41 AM   #23
richardhmc
Registered Member

Quote:
Reef geek- I honestly didn't see a reason to connect the vortices. If anyhow you can just use the jr to turn them off/on
oh nice reefgeek includes a temp probe in there. thanks