Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2012, 10:08 PM   #3976
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

The Hanna Phosphorous Checker came today. Here's the results...

As suspected, the Pukani rock is testing above the range of the meter. The meter will blink 200 ppb when the result is above it's upper range. So, I added 10ml of SeaKlear to the curing container to start. The water turned slightly cloudy after adding the solution.

What's the suggested frequency and amount of SeaKlear to dose in this situation??

The display is testing out quite well. The result was 2 ppb on the meter. After converting, the PO4 is 0.006 ppm.

So that brings me to this pic. If my NO3 is <5 and PO4 is 0.006, then why does my sand constantly look like this?? I'm guessing it's diatoms which is a silicate issue... The TDS of my RO/DI water is 000 so I'm not really sure how to address this. If I siphon the sand it just comes back within a couple days. Hmmm

And finally, the Emerald Crabs have literally decimated the bubble algae in the tank. The little guys occasionally come out and beg, and since I have a soft spot for crustaceans...

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:27 PM.
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 08:42 AM   #3977
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Holy CRAP 10ml.

I would have loved to be there to see that. That is so much. In the future for reference, you probably wasted a good portion of that binding itself to things other than phosphate.

If I was you to get the best results and to leach as much as possible as quickly as possible, I would set up a dripper of diluted solution. Get a gallon jug and put 5-10ml in it and drip it throughout the entire day. This should give the lathanum time to bind the phosphate rather than eating up your alkalinity.

I believe for a future warning as well. Lathunum can put a haze/craze (whatever you want to call it).... almost like scratching the glass if overdosed or dosed extremely fast.

I would dose daily.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 09:21 AM   #3978
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Holy CRAP 10ml.

I would have loved to be there to see that. That is so much. In the future for reference, you probably wasted a good portion of that binding itself to things other than phosphate.

If I was you to get the best results and to leach as much as possible as quickly as possible, I would set up a dripper of diluted solution. Get a gallon jug and put 5-10ml in it and drip it throughout the entire day. This should give the lathanum time to bind the phosphate rather than eating up your alkalinity.

I believe for a future warning as well. Lathunum can put a haze/craze (whatever you want to call it).... almost like scratching the glass if overdosed or dosed extremely fast.

I would dose daily.
Oh haha, whoops! I added this to the Pukani rock in the Rubbermaid container, not my display - just for clarification. I was referencing tkeracer619's thread on how to dose SeaKlear when curing rock in a separate container (link below). He was dosing upwards of 12-18ml of SeaKlear at a time! But seemed to get good results either way. I suppose it's best to dose slow like you suggest Josh, to get the maximum contact time.

But you are suggesting 5ml dripped slowly every day? How many days do you think it would take using this method to see a significant reduction in PO4? I don't want to burn through my Checker reagents is all.

Here's tkeracer's thread if you haven't seen it already...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=pukani

Unread 08/15/2012, 10:24 AM   #3979
psteeleb
Registered Member

Looking good Brett

As for the diatoms or cyno (not sure from that picture) I still get them in my system but they seem to be confined to the refugium and sump area where I have lower Kelvin lighting and slower flows (or good news not in the display)

IMO, despite some popular belief that they can be avoided, the more primitive forms of algae, cynobacteria and bacteria' are going to get in your system regardless of efforts. Certainly leaching or other sources of Po4 and No3 feed and accelerate their growth until other life forms (usually macro algae’s, micro fauna, pods etc) take root in the system and can compete for even the slightest amounts of nutrients. I sincerely believe once you get your refugium up and populated you will find that the battle against these nuisance life forms will become much easier.

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 12:39 PM   #3980
cromedogg33
Registered Member

I meant liters not gallons sorry Brett. I would do any version of 1l per 1ml of lathanum. Wether than be 1-5l of solution a day. At that rate since you aren't adding any phosphates other than what is leaching I would test maybe once a week. You aren't in a hurry...I don't think (since it's cycling) so I would just drip everyday for a week then see what it's reading at.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
Unread 08/15/2012, 12:45 PM   #3981
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
Looking good Brett

As for the diatoms or cyno (not sure from that picture) I still get them in my system but they seem to be confined to the refugium and sump area where I have lower Kelvin lighting and slower flows (or good news not in the display)

IMO, despite some popular belief that they can be avoided, the more primitive forms of algae, cynobacteria and bacteria' are going to get in your system regardless of efforts. Certainly leaching or other sources of Po4 and No3 feed and accelerate their growth until other life forms (usually macro algae’s, micro fauna, pods etc) take root in the system and can compete for even the slightest amounts of nutrients. I sincerely believe once you get your refugium up and populated you will find that the battle against these nuisance life forms will become much easier.
That's good to know. I'm excited to put it online for sure. I plan on adding some macros etc as well with the rock to help with the nutrient export that it seems my system is lacking.

Unread 08/15/2012, 12:53 PM   #3982
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
I meant liters not gallons sorry Brett. I would do any version of 1l per 1ml of lathanum. Wether than be 1-5l of solution a day. At that rate since you aren't adding any phosphates other than what is leaching I would test maybe once a week. You aren't in a hurry...I don't think (since it's cycling) so I would just drip everyday for a week then see what it's reading at.
Sounds like a solid plan. I'll do 5ml of SeaKlear daily, diluted in RO/DI dripped over a few hours. Then re-test in a week and see where it's at.

As far as the display reading 0.006 ppm, do you see any reason to drip SeaKlear in the display? I suppose there could be a constant low-leaching Phosphate issue from the rocks and sand bed still that I could potentially promote the leaching/precipitation a bit faster by dosing? Any thoughts on that??

My Tri-Color Acros are still browned out which leads me to believe there's an underlying PO4 issue still - thus the reason for my question above.

Unread 08/15/2012, 12:55 PM   #3983
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Another thought after reading his thread.....

Like he said, it doesn't matter how much you dose since it's in a vat and won't affect anything but if you do the math....

From seakler---
Effective - 1 quart removes at least 3,000ppb of orthophosphates in 10,000 gallons of water

1 quart = 946.353ml

He was dosing 8/12/16/20 ml at a time!!!!

20ml=~2% of a quart dose
2% of 3000ppb = 50 ppb

Take into consideration this is 50ppb in 10,000 gallons of water. You guys are running 35-60g.

In other words that is so much LC that at some point it does nothing for you. The rock is leaching over days, it's not just taking the phosphates off the rock themselves (I think), it's taking it out of the water, and then the rock leaches more.

Unread 08/15/2012, 12:57 PM   #3984
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Sounds like a solid plan. I'll do 5ml of SeaKlear daily, diluted in RO/DI dripped over a few hours. Then re-test in a week and see where it's at.

As far as the display reading 0.006 ppm, do you see any reason to drip SeaKlear in the display? I suppose there could be a constant low-leaching Phosphate issue from the rocks and sand bed still that I could potentially promote the leaching/precipitation a bit faster by dosing? Any thoughts on that??

My Tri-Color Acros are still browned out which leads me to believe there's an underlying PO4 issue still - thus the reason for my question above.
No I wouldn't dose it to the display at .006. From what I can tell and from others experience LC has a hard time getting phosphates below .03

It won't hurt anything if you do just to stay on top phosphates you could.

Unread 08/15/2012, 01:37 PM   #3985
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Another thought after reading his thread.....

Like he said, it doesn't matter how much you dose since it's in a vat and won't affect anything but if you do the math....

From seakler---
Effective - 1 quart removes at least 3,000ppb of orthophosphates in 10,000 gallons of water

1 quart = 946.353ml

He was dosing 8/12/16/20 ml at a time!!!!

20ml=~2% of a quart dose
2% of 3000ppb = 50 ppb

Take into consideration this is 50ppb in 10,000 gallons of water. You guys are running 35-60g.

In other words that is so much LC that at some point it does nothing for you. The rock is leaching over days, it's not just taking the phosphates off the rock themselves (I think), it's taking it out of the water, and then the rock leaches more.
Quote:
No I wouldn't dose it to the display at .006. From what I can tell and from others experience LC has a hard time getting phosphates below .03

It won't hurt anything if you do just to stay on top phosphates you could.
OK, sounds good. Yeah I figured at some point the SeaKlear would precipitate all the available PO4 then render the rest useless until more leaching takes place. Hopefully then as Pete said, once I get the fuge online I'll see a significant difference in nuisance algaes in the display, since most will be proliferating under the lower kelvin bulbs in the fuge... at least that's what I hope to have happen.

Unread 08/16/2012, 01:38 AM   #3986
Reefahholic
Moved On

Brett, you got a 2 in the DT and 200 in the vat? That dang pukani rock is so dirty!!

2 is nearly nothing for ur DT.....that's great!

I bet that sand is driving you nuts...lol....I know how clean you are...

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 10:35 AM   #3987
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
Brett, you got a 2 in the DT and 200 in the vat? That dang pukani rock is so dirty!!

2 is nearly nothing for ur DT.....that's great!

I bet that sand is driving you nuts...lol....I know how clean you are...

It is filthy! Hahaha. Actually, visually it looks really clean but yeah there an abundance of PO4 in this stuff. I feel fairly confident the Lanthanum Chloride will kick it's booty though.

I was actually shocked to see the DT was only 2 ppb. I might re-test in a few days to make sure my test was accurate.

And yes, the sand is driving me crazy!! Hoping as Pete said, once I get the fuge up and running, it will direct most of the nuisance algaes over to it instead.

Unread 08/16/2012, 11:03 AM   #3988
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Here's the doser I set up last night to dose the Lanthanum Chloride. Pretty high tech huh? The balers twine and good ol' duct tape helps keep the container from blowing a gasket.

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:27 PM.
Unread 08/16/2012, 12:39 PM   #3989
cromedogg33
Registered Member

So he is human?

Unread 08/16/2012, 03:26 PM   #3990
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
So he is human?

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 04:51 PM   #3991
javimarino
Registered Member

Hi Bret,
I just went through the whole thread and I think your build is truly inspiring. It took me two day to browse through all pages, updates, pic descriptions, tutorial and topics that interested me the must at the moment. the index on page 100 was genius, cause I’m planning to build a 120g and now I can look back now for ideas without going page by page. Soon it will be time for another index, I hope...

Your attention to detail and documentations of the build is second to none. Keep up the good work and the thread going.

Current Tank Info: 75g long drilled tank mixed coral reef/30 gal refuge with chaetomorpha/ Tek Ligth 8- t5HO bulb + Reefbrite led bar / tunze ATO
javimarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2012, 08:13 PM   #3992
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
So he is human?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Hahaha, you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimarino View Post
Hi Bret,
I just went through the whole thread and I think your build is truly inspiring. It took me two day to browse through all pages, updates, pic descriptions, tutorial and topics that interested me the must at the moment. the index on page 100 was genius, cause I’m planning to build a 120g and now I can look back now for ideas without going page by page. Soon it will be time for another index, I hope...

Your attention to detail and documentations of the build is second to none. Keep up the good work and the thread going.
Thank you so much for taking the time Javier. I really appreciate the feedback. Hats off to you if your profile pic is your tank. It's beautiful.

Last edited by drummereef; 08/19/2012 at 08:22 PM.
Unread 08/19/2012, 08:22 PM   #3993
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

OK guys, making progress here. I've dosed 5ml for the last 5 days now. We've gone from an initial reading of over 200ppb to 20ppb! That is roughly 0.06ppm PO4 currently. I have a little ways to go but I'm thinking another week and hopefully the rock will have stabilized. Here's the proof.

And a long overdue FTS.

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 08/19/2012, 09:39 PM   #3994
javimarino
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time Javier. I really appreciate the feedback. Hats off to you if your profile pic is your tank. It's beautiful.
Yes it is my tank. THANK YOU, really appreciated! I know that refugium will serve you well, I a firm believer of cheatomorpha. Don’t clean it to much, just fight the urge, and add it in there. I have the chaeto under ligth 24hrs. I'm hoping to see the refugium up and running soon!

Current Tank Info: 75g long drilled tank mixed coral reef/30 gal refuge with chaetomorpha/ Tek Ligth 8- t5HO bulb + Reefbrite led bar / tunze ATO
javimarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2012, 11:24 AM   #3995
tj1627
I Dated a Robot

Brett,

First off, wow. Amazing build. I've spent the past 3 days reading through your build and following along from post 1. I was silently cheering when you added water to the system to test. And that was over 3 years ago! Its been a wild ride so far (I couldn't take it anymore so after page ~109 I skipped to the end and got caught up to present day. Still reading 109 - 160, so don't spoil anything for me!).

I just wanted to thank you for this amazingly detailed build thread. As a newbie who just finished cycling his 55 gallon and has his first fish in QT, I have to say that its been an inspiring read that I'll continue to reference for years to come.

I hope that once my wife and I buy a house in the next year I can do an in wall build and sump room that is even 1/10th of the quality you've shown here.

Any chance of a recap post? Sort of a look back - see if there are things you'd do differently, improve upon, leave out, etc if you were to do it all again? It would be interesting to hear your take on the choices you've made in the past few years and if you'd do it the same way again. If I missed something like this in the past 50 pages or so, go easy on me. Had to skip ahead!

-Tim

They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Marineland Tank, 40B AGA Sump: Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer + Vectra Cleaner, 2x Radion XR30W G2, 2x Jebao WP-10, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP10w, Waveline DC-4000 Return Pump, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
tj1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2012, 01:25 PM   #3996
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimarino View Post
Yes it is my tank. THANK YOU, really appreciated! I know that refugium will serve you well, I a firm believer of cheatomorpha. Don’t clean it to much, just fight the urge, and add it in there. I have the chaeto under ligth 24hrs. I'm hoping to see the refugium up and running soon!
Indeed, looking forward to getting some macro growing in too. I plan on lighting is 24/7 as well. Speaking of Puerto Rico, I've been through 3 times on cruises. The last time I was there I went on a kayak excursion through the Vieques Bioluminescent Bay. I have to say that was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life. I wish I could get my tank to light up at night like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1627 View Post
Brett,

First off, wow. Amazing build. I've spent the past 3 days reading through your build and following along from post 1. I was silently cheering when you added water to the system to test. And that was over 3 years ago! Its been a wild ride so far (I couldn't take it anymore so after page ~109 I skipped to the end and got caught up to present day. Still reading 109 - 160, so don't spoil anything for me!).

I just wanted to thank you for this amazingly detailed build thread. As a newbie who just finished cycling his 55 gallon and has his first fish in QT, I have to say that its been an inspiring read that I'll continue to reference for years to come.

I hope that once my wife and I buy a house in the next year I can do an in wall build and sump room that is even 1/10th of the quality you've shown here.

Any chance of a recap post? Sort of a look back - see if there are things you'd do differently, improve upon, leave out, etc if you were to do it all again? It would be interesting to hear your take on the choices you've made in the past few years and if you'd do it the same way again. If I missed something like this in the past 50 pages or so, go easy on me. Had to skip ahead!

-Tim
Thank you Tim, appreciate the kind words. One thing I would have definitely done different is to prepare the Marco Rock in my display more appropriately. With that said, Lanthanum Chloride dosing wasn't commonplace a couple years ago so I was going by the typical protocol on cycling a new tank. It has turned out OK but definitely took a long time to leach the remaining phosphates out of the rock. I think I could have avoided a few months of major algae outbreaks if that would have been a common practice in home aquaria back then. Maybe it was, I just didn't know about it... Hindsight is always 20/20 though. Other than that things have gone rather smoothly, but obviously as you've read, it's been a slow but constant journey. I think taking the hobby as it's handed to you is probably the best advice I could offer. As issues arise, address them with the knowledge the hobby has to offer today. Don't rush it, respect the process, and always have fun with it.

Unread 08/20/2012, 02:12 PM   #3997
tj1627
I Dated a Robot

One question for you though (from a few pages ago). Regarding your 70g stock tank for the refugium, I see youe 2 upturned elbows for your drain lines, the locline return right between them, but what is the 1.5" bulkhead for that you drilled in the bottom?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...tockTank-7.jpg

They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Marineland Tank, 40B AGA Sump: Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer + Vectra Cleaner, 2x Radion XR30W G2, 2x Jebao WP-10, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP10w, Waveline DC-4000 Return Pump, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
tj1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2012, 08:26 PM   #3998
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1627 View Post
One question for you though (from a few pages ago). Regarding your 70g stock tank for the refugium, I see youe 2 upturned elbows for your drain lines, the locline return right between them, but what is the 1.5" bulkhead for that you drilled in the bottom?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...tockTank-7.jpg
All the Rubbermaid Stock Tanks have a drain built into the bottom of the container. They come with a stock bulkhead but are prone to leakage so it's advisable to swap them for a bulkhead suited for aquariums. Unfortunately Rubbermaid doesn't make it easy for us... The pre-fab hole size is too small for a 1.5" bulkhead, so I had to enlarge the hole to accommodate. I've basically plugged the installed bulkhead for now but the option is there to plumb it as a drain in the future if the need arises. Hope this helps.

Unread 08/20/2012, 09:33 PM   #3999
psteeleb
Registered Member

wow - glad to see an updated FTS, your tank is looking awesome. Great colors and nice growth !!!

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2012, 09:42 PM   #4000
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Did some more testing tonight... Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, but to my shock Nitrate is off the chart! I didn't even have to wait 5 minutes for the test to develop, the color was instant. I expected high NO3 but this was shocking to say the least.

I will obviously be filling the fuge with fresh saltwater and transferring ONLY the rock to it when ready. Do you think any of that excess NO3 will transfer to the fuge when I add the rock or will it just stay in the cycling water?

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:29 PM.