Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2009, 06:23 PM   #1
150mech
Registered Member

home made skimmers

Has anyone ever made one of snailmans skimmers I was wondering how well they worked

150mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2009, 06:31 PM   #2
xJake
Registered Member

I would go with one of these over snailman's design.

http://www.randystacye.com/diy_needle_wheel_skimmer.htm
http://www.randystacye.com/diy_needl...l_skimmer4.htm

xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2009, 11:14 PM   #3
jubjub
Registered Member

if your only doing a 46gal tank heck, i picked up a asm-G1x with a sedra pump for 100bux you can probably pick up a high end used skimmer for bout 100bux or so....be cheaper it seems then building your own

Unread 03/02/2009, 12:52 AM   #4
One Dumm Hikk
Moved On

An 8" body 6' tall counter current skimmer is going to work. But its a wee bit of overkill on a 46 gallon tank.

One Dumm Hikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Soundwave
Registered Member

The RandyStacye design works very well. I built one but used an underrated pump. I should have gone with a genX 2500 but used a 1500 instead. It still worked well but I sold it to a friend for what I had into it and he is still using it successfully on his 29 gallon system.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 09:34 AM   #6
GlaringToast
Registered Member

Hey this is probably a retarded question but where do you buy Uniseals?

GlaringToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 11:36 AM   #7
150mech
Registered Member

does anyone have ideas for a sump i have a 20 gallon long that i want to use, with a skimmer that i will build

Unread 03/02/2009, 12:18 PM   #8
DaveinKY
Registered Member

Look at Reef Central sponsors. Premium Aquatics comes to mind as well as others.

Quote:
s=&postid=14516181#post14516181 target=_blank>Originally posted by GlaringToast
Hey this is probably a retarded question but where do you buy Uniseals?

DaveinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 12:18 PM   #9
One Dumm Hikk
Moved On

GlaringToast, Google Uniseals and you can find them online. Some LFS'es carry them as well.

mech, what all are you wanting to put in the sump? What you plan on putting in it will tell you where/how the baffles should go in. Have you given the sump section on Melevs Reef a read?

One Dumm Hikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 12:40 PM   #10
runningstix
Registered Member

Here is Spleify and my diy skimmers we each have the same exact one. This was prior to installing the gate valve where the ball valve is in the photo. Works like magic! $65 total build each.

Current Tank Info: tankless
runningstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

What are the dimensions of the skimmer, what size tube's? And what kind of pump was used? Looks good.

I am just looking for a pump for my skimmer which is almost finished. The body is 6" dia x 14", DIY cone,

Wanted to go w/Eheim 1260 and get one of those "Pinwheel's" but don't know where to get it.

Current Tank Info: 225gal diy 60"x36"x24"
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 07:22 PM   #12
150mech
Registered Member

I am not sure what to put in the sump I am new to the hobby, all that I know is I have a 46 gallon tank in my family room and I wanted to put a 20 gallon sump with a skimmer in my basement bellow the tank. I am here looking for Ideas. I wanted the living room to be quiet and peaceful, and all the business to be in the basement.

Unread 03/02/2009, 08:34 PM   #13
R2E2
Registered Member

Why the preference for gate valves over ball valves? I process water for a living and I was always told that gate valves should be operated open or closed, not throttled; and ball valves are capable of throttled operation. Just curious about this.

R2E2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 08:43 PM   #14
xJake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by R2E2
Why the preference for gate valves over ball valves? I process water for a living and I was always told that gate valves should be operated open or closed, not throttled; and ball valves are capable of throttled operation. Just curious about this.
I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. Gate valves allow for precision control of flow rate whereas ball valves are pretty clumsy when used for throttling.

Here's a quote:

"Ball valves are best used for on/off applications. A gate valve works best if you need to adjust the flow between on and off."

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/jg/index.php

xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 11:52 AM   #15
rguyler
Registered Member

R2E2 had it right on the *intended* operation for each valve - gate valves should be opened or closed fully. If you look at the internals of a gate valve it has a flat plate that slides down by means of a screw. This will greatly interfere with linear flow lines and create a lot of turbulence in a high capacity application. Ball valves are much more streamlined internally and will not impact the flow dynamics as much. However talking about the effluent of a skimmer, we don't care so much about that as being able to more finely adjust the flow because we can twist a screw in finer increments than turn the handle on the ball.

In this hobby we rarely use anything for it's intended purpose (lol) so we can do what works best for us in a given situation. I too prefer a gate valve for this purpose even though I'm going against the intended design. :-)

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef - AI Hydra 26HD lighting, AquaC Skimmer, Reeflo Blackfin Pump, Gyre XF250 Dual Pumps, Aqua Medic Dosing Alk/Ca/Mg & Vinegar, HydroFill Ti ATO, Basement Sump w/Refugium and Kessil 160 Blue Lights
rguyler is offline   Reply With Quote