Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Joshua1023
Registered Member

Ozonizer questions

I got the AquaZone Plus 100 made by RedSea yesterday. I've had it producing 30 mg hr for the last 20 hrs or so, pumped right into my CSS220. I don't want to turn it up too high too quickly for fear of shocking my tank. Has anyone used the probe on these before? Can I count on the readings its giving me? I have had a reading of zero since I plugged the unit in. Does the probe require a break in period? If so how long? Lastly, how quickly can I raise the ozone level in my tank safely? Thanks in advance.

Happy Reefing

Josh

Current Tank Info: 90 gl tank,Coralife 14K MH lights,2 Current dual daylight/actinic 40 watt fixtures, tidepool sump,Coralife SS 220 protein skimmer,six inch sand bed w/ plenum, Current Prime Tower 1/3 hp Chiller,RedSea ozonizer w/ orp
Joshua1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2007, 10:04 AM   #2
fishman_CT
Registered Member

Josh,
The Plus model you purchased does NOT come with a probe. Only the Deluxe model comes with everything you need to run and monitor your unit. Stop adding Ozone now!! You are getting a zero reading because there is no probe in the water.

AquaZone Plus 100—100 mg/hr Ozonizer + Controller with 250cc Air Drier

AquaZone PLUS combines this high-tech ozonizer with a top quality redox controller featuring a range of 0-1999 mV, a ±1 mV accuracy, and a backlit LCD display. The easy-to-set dial allows you to determine an ORP setpoint for your tank anywhere from 0-500 mV. (an ORP probe is not included and is sold separately)

Automatically controls the flow of ozone according to a pre-set ORP
Easy to read backlit digital display
Easy adjustment of ozone output and desired ORP
Continuous display of current ORP
Safe and easy to use.
Includes 250cc Air Drier

Current Tank Info: 180g AGA w/ dual overflows, 46g ecosystems sump, Reefoctopus extreme skimmer, 1hp Current chiller, (2) BRS Reactors for carbon/gfo, Red Sea 200 Wavemaker Pro, Mag 18 returns, Tetra 1900 for chiller/reactors, 200lbs LR, 150lbs ls, and a lot of corals!
fishman_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Joshua1023
Registered Member

Hey fishman. Thank you for your concern. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but mine is a deluxe model w/ the probe included. There are two knobs on the controller and the probe that plugs into the front. The box it came in is the same for the standard, plus, and deluxe. I was just looking at the wrong words when I typed my posts.

At least I have to assume the probe that came w/ it is the orp probe. I know my receipt says deluxe. Does anyone else have this model to conferm what I'm looking at?

Current Tank Info: 90 gl tank,Coralife 14K MH lights,2 Current dual daylight/actinic 40 watt fixtures, tidepool sump,Coralife SS 220 protein skimmer,six inch sand bed w/ plenum, Current Prime Tower 1/3 hp Chiller,RedSea ozonizer w/ orp
Unread 01/24/2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Joshua1023
Registered Member

This is the one I have. The probe is the one pictured.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...GroupKey=11289

Unread 01/24/2007, 11:12 AM   #5
fishman_CT
Registered Member

Did you pay the price listed here, or the price you supplied in the PM you sent to me. The link you supplied does include the probe for $324. Do you have the probe shown in the link on your system? It would connect to the back of the unit with a BNC connection.

I can't believe that you still do not have a measurable amount of Orp in your system yet. Some people turn it on only a few hours a day because of how much Orp it can emit. You mentioned that you are using an air pump. What did you connect that to? Do you have a pic?

Current Tank Info: 180g AGA w/ dual overflows, 46g ecosystems sump, Reefoctopus extreme skimmer, 1hp Current chiller, (2) BRS Reactors for carbon/gfo, Red Sea 200 Wavemaker Pro, Mag 18 returns, Tetra 1900 for chiller/reactors, 200lbs LR, 150lbs ls, and a lot of corals!
Unread 01/24/2007, 11:13 AM   #6
fishman_CT
Registered Member

Sorry, connect to the front like you said. Sure sounds like you have it already.

Unread 01/24/2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Joshua1023
Registered Member

Yeah fishman, I guess I should clarify. I got the one listed at $324. I live within 1/2 hr of That Fish Place. Yesterday was terrific tuesday. They send out a mailer every so often w/ a coupon for 30% off one aquatic item in between certain dates. My drug of choice yesterday was the ozinizer. 30% off of $334 is $234. Thanks again for your concern. Now what was my original question?............Oh, yeah...........

Unread 01/24/2007, 12:11 PM   #8
fishman_CT
Registered Member

That is a great deal!! Tagging along to see why you still do not have a reading. What did you connect the air pump to? Maybe something is not connected. Do you see any difference in your tank or skimmate?

Kevin

Unread 01/24/2007, 12:31 PM   #9
Joshua1023
Registered Member

No difference yet. The ports in the rear are pretty much dummy proof. One says in and the other out. I noticed that the probe has a rubber cap on the end. The directions don't mention it, so I left it on. I don't know if a larger air pump will make a difference seeing how the bubble production in my skimmer is the same either way. I seem to remember an old thread where someone else had the same concerns about their ozonizer. I was still new to reef tanks so it was all greek to me at the time.

Unread 01/24/2007, 12:58 PM   #10
gbsteve
Registered Member

Take the rubber off the probe, it's on there for shipping.

gbsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Joshua1023
Registered Member

O.K. I took the rubber off and am still getting a zero reading. I placed it in the bubble diffuser from my skimmer thinking this is where I would get the highest readings. I would like to know how long it takes for the probe to register changes.

Unread 01/24/2007, 01:17 PM   #12
fishman_CT
Registered Member

I also heard that you need to run the water that comes out of the skimmer through carbon. Are you doing that also? I don't think it would cause a reading of "0", but you never know.

Kevin

Unread 01/24/2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Joshua1023
Registered Member

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that on my CSS. I didn't do the gate valve mod on mine and am still using the stock return. The way I read it in the directions the main concern is having an ozone smell in the air around your tank and in your home. If that is the case than my feeling that the most likely place for the ozone to escape into the room is the vent on the collection cup. I could diy something for that pretty easily. If I don't get any solid advise on that subject here I will ask on the Chemistry forum.

Unread 01/24/2007, 02:17 PM   #14
RichConley
Registered Member

If its readign 0, theres something wrong with it. It should read somewhere between -200 and -500 (sometimes they leave off the - sign)

The probe should be in your tank/sump, not in the skimmer.

Unread 01/24/2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Joshua1023
Registered Member

Any ideas on what a tank w/ no ozonizer would read? I'm just trying to get this thing figured out.

Unread 01/24/2007, 03:34 PM   #16
RichConley
Registered Member

depending on husbandry,pH, etc, somewhere from 200-300 most likely.

Unread 01/24/2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Joshua1023
Registered Member

10-4. I understand. So if the thing ever reads zero there is a problem w/ either the probe itself or the controler. I'll mess w/ it for a bit and if I still get no reading I guess I'll be running back to the store for a replacent. Thanks alot Rich!

Unread 01/25/2007, 05:56 PM   #18
Joshua1023
Registered Member

O.K. I got the equipment taken care of. Turns out the probe was bad. Just a word to the wise. If you possibly can get them to test the probe before you leave the store. We had to actually go through 5 or 6 probes before we found one that worked. I'm not talking junk on RedSea. It was most likely a bad batch or something. When you first plug it in it should read at least 140 or so and slowly rise to the correct reading over 10 minutes or so.

Unread 01/25/2007, 06:30 PM   #19
Mishap
Premium Member

Keep us posted on if it works its way up past 151.

Mishap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 07:40 PM   #20
fishman_CT
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. I hope mine is ok when I receive it in a few days.

Kevin

Unread 01/26/2007, 05:47 AM   #21
Joshua1023
Registered Member

I woke up this morning w/ a reading in my sump of 254. It is still slowly rising. I will turn the unit on and start pumping ozone once it stablizes.

Unread 01/26/2007, 06:22 AM   #22
fishman_CT
Registered Member

What is the Orp level we should be maintaining? Does it depend on inhabitants in the tank? Glad to hear that you are getting a reading now.

Kevin

Unread 01/26/2007, 06:33 AM   #23
Joshua1023
Registered Member

ORP should be between 300 and 350 according to the directions. Jonathan posted this earlier it answered almost all my questions.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php