Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:28 PM   #10451
Woonkie
Registered Member

New here and to the Hobby

Sorry everyone. I have lots of questions!

Woonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 02:27 AM   #10452
neckij
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrico96 View Post
Pretty cool video. How long did the process take for your end result?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Hello, the video was shot 6 months

neckij is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 03:53 PM   #10453
livelifelow
Registered Member

Hello, my name is Lori. I am picking up my 75 gallon tank, rock, and some equipment tomorrow. I previously helped a woman set up, plumb, and create a reef tank years ago and am incredibly excited to be beginning the process for myself.

livelifelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 12:16 PM   #10454
Mksurfer
Registered Member

Hello

Hi everyone,

My name is Matthew Kent. My son and I started a nano reef setup two month ago. Right now we have an ocellaris clown that is in love with the riterri anemone in the tank. We also have a royal gramma, a peppermint shrimp, and a few hermits and snails for clean up. So far so good and i'm hoping that it continues!

Good luck to everyone,

Matt

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36558225554_d0b68926a6_z.jpg (53.6 KB, 19 views)
Mksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 12:33 PM   #10455
Mksurfer
Registered Member

Tank video

https://www.flickr.com/gp/123197757@N06/41dbo1

There's the little tank!

Matt

Mksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 08:59 AM   #10456
LawrenceP
Registered Member

Hey everyone,
My name is Lawrence. I've been keeping freshwater fish for 4 years and decided to give saltwater a try. I have a 20 gallon with a pair of ocellaris clownfish and a royal gramma. Still have lots to learn so that's why I'm here.

LawrenceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 12:57 PM   #10457
reeferkvn
Registered Member

New reefer

Hows it going everybody? I Just started my first tank in mid August, a 20 gallon Nuvo fusion nano. I'm in Santa Cruz as a full time student and trying to get my tank stocked up slowly but surely. Love staring at my tank and there is barely anything in it Hope to get to know you guys and learn as much as possible from the community.

reeferkvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 07:25 PM   #10458
hfa3501
Registered Member

New to ReefCentral

Hello Everyone, I just signed up today with RC. I am new to reefing, although I have had FOWLR tanks for many years. I am finding that a reef set up is a whole different animal than a fish only tank.

I have a 60g cube that has been converted to reef for about 5mos now. I have zoas, xenia, mushrooms, acan and a small colony of GSP's. They all seem to be doing well, but I have lots of questions about lighting, placements, and feeding.

I've been told I am in the right place to get all the help I need!!

hfa3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:42 AM   #10459
raybes
Registered Member

Hi Everyone, probably this community is not right for me as I own freshwater tank for many years. Having said that I'm planning to go marine in few months time and I'm starting to research around a good system. I have decided that I'm going to buy a red sea e max 260 with sump upgrade but I can't find any information if I can convert this sump to a refugium and use the included skimmer at the rear of the tank. Is this possible and would this give me peace of mind with regards to keeping the bad bacteria/chemicals at bay. Thanks

raybes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 08:09 AM   #10460
dorry54
Registered Member

Hello everyone. 500 gal mixed reef tank 20 years plus in the hobby

dorry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 08:07 PM   #10461
lucaslembke
Registered Member

Hello

Hi RC I'm lucas. Looking to get into the hobby and am thinking about either getting the Red Sea reefer 250 or max e 260. Planning on a reef tank and am very excited!

lucaslembke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 01:18 PM   #10462
Vpgdragon
Registered Member

New reefer from Northern Virginia (D.C)

Hey guys! My name is Jonathan, I am new a reefer and currently looking for a aquarium tank to get things started. Anybody from northern Virginia (D.C) that have a tank for sale. Hit me up. Thanks

Vpgdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 08:03 PM   #10463
Phisheads
Registered Member

Smile New to the hobby and to RC

Hello folks, I'm Dan. I had freshwater quite a while back, mostly america cichlids. 3 months ago I got back into it with a BC29! At the moment I have 2 clowns and a scooter blenny, tomorrow I'm picking up my cherub angelfish from lfs. I'll eventually get a ywg to pair with my tiger pistol, after that I might get one last fish, not sure yet. I have 3 blue leg hermits, 3 scarlet hermits, 3 trochus, 2 nassarius, an emerald crab and a cleaner shrimp. Frogspawn, candycane and palythoas, waiting on a torch and a kenya tree to appear at lfs. Hitchhikers I know about are 2-3 bristleworms, amphipods and those little white starfish, though I haven't seen them as of late. looking forward to sharing my success' and failures (not to many of those please !)

Phisheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 06:50 AM   #10464
rusty idaho
Registered Member

greetings everyone. I am new to the saltwater habitat. i have had freshwater planted tanks since i was 12. I have always wanted saltwater reef tank. last week was kind of a good and bad week. first my 175 main tank popped a seal in the middle of the night, flood central. then i was approached by a co-worker who needs to get rid of a tank he and his wife no longer want. So by chance and luck i am the new owner of a Red Sea max s400!!! all of the flood damage and hassles are almost worth it now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rusty idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 11:52 AM   #10465
urban_s
Registered Member

Hello!!! I started my first salt water tank in a 29 gallon AGA in 2010. It crashed the next year. I just bought a setup off craigslist(150 gallon tank) that was severely neglected. Just getting her up and running! Cant wait to get some more coral in it.

urban_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 07:31 PM   #10466
PortWolf
Registered Member

Hi

Jeremy Young
West Tennessee

20+ years freshwater Aquariums, aquaculture, aquaponics & koi

Interested in phytoplankton, copepod & Amphipod culturing.
And macro algae, vascular plant (seagrasses etc.) and coral propagation.

Currently I'm looking for a good straight forward list of beginner corals not just a top 10 of sps, LPS, softies and such.

I get a lot of garbage content it seems.

PortWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 08:37 PM   #10467
drysea
Registered Member

New to the board but not the madness

I have been continuously keeping a reef system of some kind or another since 2001 with the exception of three years when employment training made it impossible. I am new to RC. I guess I did sign up a few years ago but kind of forgot about it. I have been more or less a lone wolf I don't know that there are lots of reefers in my neck of the woods. Currently I have a 300 gallon plus system with plans to make it grow considerably larger. I love the biology of the hobby and the more biologically sound the system the more I like it. I am a DIY by nature but decided I might be reinventing the wheel so I am going to spend some time on the board and see if I have anything to offer while getting some ideas along the way. I love it all but I guess the stony corals get my motor running the best.

drysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 02:02 AM   #10468
crazy_Dave
Registered Member

Hello people from Reef Central my name is David I'm 25 and I I'm kind of new to this hobby my firs tank was a 10 gallon nano tank second tank was a 35 gallon bio cube but I have upgraded to a 150 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sum the tank is empty right now but will have it running slowly just have to start but the parts I will need well hope to hear for some of ya'll and thanks for taking the time to read this post

crazy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:03 AM   #10469
Plouf...
Registered Member

Hi everybody!

I've 3 tanks (freshwater) and I do like DIY: yours DIY section is great!

English is not my native language, please don't mind my mistakes
yours

Plouf... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 08:59 PM   #10470
KAdair
Registered Member

Hi, I'm Karen. I am sort of new to the hobby, having had a fowler tank several years ago and a reef tank three years ago then I moved and never got the tank back up and running. That 16 gallon biocube went to my granddaughter a few weeks ago. She has a couple plates in it. I spent the last year getting a 40 breeder together to put together. It is now up and running with live rock and a clean up crew of ten assorted snails and ten blue legged hermits. Phh is 8.2, nitrate is zero, nitrite is zero, ammonia is zero---just waiting for it to be safe for my new fish and beginner corals to go in. It has been up for about a month now.

KAdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 10:55 AM   #10471
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Hi I'm tony I just got a 40 gallon breeder tank. Setting it up.for mostly coral. Sand in and rock on the way. Doing half dry live and other half regular live rock. Just have to wait till next week to get the light. Hopefully it cycles pretty quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 07:36 PM   #10472
Mmoreno1368
Registered Member

Hey guys/gals! My name is Michael and I'm new to the forum but not that new to the hobby...been reefing for roughly 4 years now...just recently embarked on a new nano reef! (35 gallon bowfront)! Glad to be able to bounce ideas off many much more experienced reefers! What I love about the hobby is that there is always more to learn!

Mmoreno1368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 08:42 AM   #10473
working_man
Registered Member

Hello,

My name is Chris. I've been in and out of aquariums as a hobby for 30 years all fresh water. I recently was gifted a 135 gallon Oceanic reef setup from my Father-in-law who no longer has the time or interest. I have yet to move it from his house to mine and am researching the best methods. He hasn't really kept it up to well and of course all of the equipment, while functioning, is pretty old. I am looking for as much info as I can to get this thing back up and looking sweet. Any tips on where to start are very much appreciate.

Warm regards to all,
Chris

working_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 12:33 PM   #10474
AndyNatMick
Registered Member

Evening everyone and thanks for creating such a great forum. New to the hobby, just completed a fish-less cycle on my 60G Red Sea Reef tank - my first fish, 2 clowns and a Dotty, are in their QT and I am looking forward to getting stuck in.

AndyNatMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 04:58 AM   #10475
dilkROM
Registered Member

300l and loads of questions! :)

Hey all, Dylan here (aka dilkROM). I've got a 300l tank up and running for some months now and slowly getting in more coral and more fish. Currently running into a few tricky things with flow (it's a delta tank) and also some brown film (algae) on various coral. Will post in the appropriate forum but just a short intro!

Thanks for building such a great forum, I've been lurking and reading for a while and figured it was time to start speaking up.

dilkROM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral