Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/02/2008, 11:33 AM   #326
sammy113
Registered Member

Love this thread. I'd just like to post a few pics of some kinda "modern" tanks
This is Ninjafish's again

This is Duncan's

Unread 03/02/2008, 11:40 AM   #327
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marlon17

I like this one. how do you think it would look with a wood skin and a lacquer door? Or frosted glass doors?

Unread 03/02/2008, 11:42 AM   #328
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy113
_star/Pecera/1gcopy5de.jpg[/IMG]

This is Duncan's

]
These are sweet

Unread 03/02/2008, 02:33 PM   #329
melev
Moved On

I like #3 and #5, Marlon.

Unread 03/02/2008, 03:10 PM   #330
WZHANG
Registered Member

I like #3 the most. #5 is a little common (looks like that one Elos stand)

#3 strikes me as unique and a little unexpected (which is nice)

#4 is interesting as well and unique. But, a little too uniform in divisions. I might explore making them wider, vary heights or combine some elements from #3 into it...

Unread 03/02/2008, 03:18 PM   #331
WZHANG
Registered Member

My fiance took a look (shes was an interior designer and currently going to school for industrial design)...

Well, she loves #4. I named it the "zebra one." Anyways, her input was that it is very unique as is. She also liked #5

Unread 03/02/2008, 03:26 PM   #332
WZHANG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalied20
I have my 90 gallon full of rock and corals (mostly Soft and LPS's and some clams). I like the look of the tanks here with the open areas. I have a lot of tonga that I can move to my 50 gallon. Left over would be a large triangle shelf pieces and some large figi that I would almost call show pieces.

I am pondering on how to get the shelf rock mounted in the corner about half way up the glass. Then have a DSB with two small islands of rock in the middle. Leaving the rest completely open. I have a manufactured Stand and Canopy that I have been thinking of ditching and building something nice in my dining area for the 90 and the 50 gallon together.

Things are just going around and around in my head. I got to put some in CAD and see what it might look like.
Maybe think about using acrylic/fiberglass rods and epoxy to stilt the rock up. Another ideas is to epoxy a magnet to it or sacrafice a magnetic scraper for the purpose. I think Tunze or aquamedic has a product like this? It could take a few strong magnets depending on the rock. I wonder if anyone has ever tried suspending rockwork with fishing line?

Keep us updated.

Unread 03/02/2008, 06:40 PM   #333
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WZHANG
I like #1 (all white)

My idea is to combine #1 and #3. Have a short canopy (maybe 2-3inches) with the exposed suspended light. The point is to hide the black trim while still having an open top look. Best of both worlds for tanks that are not trimless.

But I see you are being lured by the ELOS.. lol. That would look nice as well. I'm not a big fan of their light fixtures though.
I like your idea. But yes I have been lured by the ELOS...I actually really liked how my set up was going until I saw this thread...lol. I wish I had seen this before setting this tank up, as I would have done many things differently. Its harder for me now to go ahead and spend thousands on a new ELOS set up when I have only had this one going for less than half a year. But I will most likely do it anyways...

Actually I would have built something very similar to the ELOS set up many pages back with the black and white stand which looks like it basically consists of 2 separate cubes (one white and one back) with different dimensions (depth). I love the look of that set up. I think it was a freshwater tank if I remember correctly. Anyways, might be my favorite in the thread. I guess between that one and the one in the same post with the red and white stand, again a few different piece with a big gap in between them.

This thread really has been such an inspiration and been so fun to follow.

Unread 03/02/2008, 11:52 PM   #334
Kalied20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WZHANG
Maybe think about using acrylic/fiberglass rods and epoxy to stilt the rock up. Another ideas is to epoxy a magnet to it or sacrafice a magnetic scraper for the purpose. I think Tunze or aquamedic has a product like this? It could take a few strong magnets depending on the rock. I wonder if anyone has ever tried suspending rockwork with fishing line?

Keep us updated.
Funny you mention the "rods" I have already bought them and have debated on which rocks to try and drill holes in to stack them on the rod. Then epoxy them together. I was thinking of using a large acrylic sheet under the sand to attach the rods too. Dang it man...this thread is going to get me in trouble with the wife. I am going to have to send her on vacation and rearrange while she is gone. evil smile

Unread 03/03/2008, 01:30 AM   #335
WZHANG
Registered Member

Have you guys checked the poll out?

Looks like we got thread of the month! Congrats Cam, you rock!

Unread 03/03/2008, 01:49 AM   #336
NewFish3
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefhead165
My 165...

Man...that room & tank are sick.........Iam in the chicagoland also. I would love to see that room.

Iam building a new home & have a pool table / bar area room...The room will be about 24 ft x 40 ft. Iam planning on a new tank in there..............Did you build it yourself of have a company do it........Please let me know

Current Tank Info: 7 years saltwater.. Setting up a 120 gal reef. Office BioCube 14...1 perc clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 six line wrasse, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, green stripe, brown shrooms, coco worm, purple leather, Misc CUC
Unread 03/03/2008, 02:15 AM   #337
marlon17
Registered Member

Congratulations CamBarr!

Thanks guys..I like #5 too...inspired from Elos and Amano Stand. I like #4 also it's unique, but i don't think it will blend in my house.
I will put my new tank near the stairs, where that low table sits right now. I need your suggestions on how to hide the wires behind, incase i will use hanging lights. I have a very high ceiling, i really want a clean set up no wires to be seen from the lights.

Tbone....wood skin and laqcuer doors

About frosted glass...nah...you don't want your visitors to look at the silhouette of your sump.

Unread 03/03/2008, 11:42 AM   #338
willtel76
Registered Member

I haven't seen them posted yet but I think the Eheim curved glass tanks and stands are very modern looking. I can't find any info about these being available in the states. I want one!

Unread 03/03/2008, 11:45 AM   #339
JustinReef
Registered Member

Marlon17, Personally, I really can't picture a tank under the stairs there. Seems like it would be a bit out of place but thats just my opinion. I think what you have there now works well with the small space.

How big is that tank?

Unread 03/03/2008, 11:50 AM   #340
i2ik
Registered Member

Marlon17: I really like #3, i think it give a nice futuristic look. Also its more unique than #5 (which i also really like). On #3, i would also mix it up with a stainless stell base of about 1" high. Overall, those design are really nice, but i find that #3 is a great looking stand and really show a modern stand compare to #5

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 03/03/2008, 01:43 PM   #341
flyingphish
Registered Member

go euro

Unread 03/03/2008, 02:38 PM   #342
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marlon17
Congratulations CamBarr!

Thanks guys..I like #5 too...inspired from Elos and Amano Stand. I like #4 also it's unique, but i don't think it will blend in my house.
I will put my new tank near the stairs, where that low table sits right now. I need your suggestions on how to hide the wires behind, incase i will use hanging lights. I have a very high ceiling, i really want a clean set up no wires to be seen from the lights.

Tbone....wood skin and laqcuer doors

About frosted glass...nah...you don't want your visitors to look at the silhouette of your sump.
As some others have said, I also like #3 and #4. I am into various styles of modern design, and I think some aspects of modern design are meant more the "the store" rather than at home. While I think #3 and #4 look great, the more practical side of me wonders how long those will "look nice" at home. At the store, it's easy to swap out furniture when styles change. At home, we are less likely to do that due to cost issues.

For that reason, I went with #5 - modern, but I think that style will "last longer". BTW, I like it with the wood skin more

Unread 03/03/2008, 03:25 PM   #343
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

Tbone, that image visualizes the golden ratio, 1.618.

It could be described as the ratio that allows you to have a curve with a radius shrinking every time, such that 2 curves add up to the full size of the previous curve, and continues on and on like this, filling in the tiny empty space by shrinking each time. The ratio of the radii of any 2 adjacent curves in such a system would be 1.618........................

As a fun way to understand WHAT THE HECK that means, you should learn what the "Fibonacci sequence" is. Basically, its a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the 2 previous numbers. it goes 0,1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 etc....

Now start near the beginning of this sequence and divide any number with the previous number. 8/5= 1.6

Go higher up the sequence.....

21/13=1.615

go WAY higher.......

6765/4181=1.618033.....

So as the numbers increase, you slowly approach the golden ratio!! and this is where it comes from! when you think about the spiral pattern and how its always fitting into itself, it makes perfect sense. the reason it doesn't hold up at the beginning of the sequence I think is that you didn't start with enough resolution. if you start the sequence at 1.618 then it stays true right on through.

I believe that this number reveals itself in nature quite often IIRC. stuff like snail shells and other growth related stuff. I haven't studied this in years but its really cool!

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
Can you explain this diagram?

Unread 03/03/2008, 03:37 PM   #344
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

oh ya and these modern tanks are absolutely awesome!!!

I didnt go modern myself but one day I'd love to!

tbone, and the other with those cool contemporary panels around your tank.... what are the panels made from? looks like some kinda metal finish around each panel?

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
Unread 03/03/2008, 05:44 PM   #345
thefatboy
Registered Member

sounds like someone saw The DaVinci Code too many times

Unread 03/03/2008, 05:46 PM   #346
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

i hated that movie.

actually i feel alot less smart after looking up the wikipedia page on fibonacci sequences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

i dont understand anything on that page. I like my simple explanation better

hey tbone asked so at least 1 person wanted that info hehehe

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic

Last edited by ReefEnabler; 03/03/2008 at 05:52 PM.
Unread 03/03/2008, 06:14 PM   #347
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
i hated that movie.

actually i feel alot less smart after looking up the wikipedia page on fibonacci sequences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

i dont understand anything on that page. I like my simple explanation better

hey tbone asked so at least 1 person wanted that info hehehe
I like your explanation better too! The way you explained it was basically the same as I was taught in school. I remember one of our teachers was huge on the idea and used to be able to point out examples of it in nature all the time. It was pretty cool.

Unread 03/03/2008, 06:17 PM   #348
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
what are the panels made from? looks like some kinda metal finish around each panel?
don't know what the panels are made from Never asked. We just like how they look. My guess is it's some kind of laminate because it seems water-resistant. It works well around the tank. Yup, there's a brushed aluminum border around each panel.

Unread 03/05/2008, 12:54 AM   #349
tbone28
Registered Member

I found this stand from glassbox-design on another thread. I can't wait to see a tank on this stand!

Unread 03/05/2008, 07:07 AM   #350
glassbox-design
Registered Member

tbone-

that's from mooooi, marcel wander's city design. we were going to go with that cabinet and re-inforce it, but changed up the placement of our tank.

when we move we are considering this design, with all plumbing and equipment completely hidden.

LEDs are a 50,000 hr investment. Choose wisely.

Current Tank Info: ...a new glassbox is coming
Closed Thread