Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2017, 04:56 PM   #1
afish70
Registered Member

Help. What wrong with my Royal Gramma

What is wrong with her?? She usually chills in the rock but is out in open now. She just doesn't look right. I know the pics aren't the best but can someone tell me if she has something. I do not want to lose anything in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 05:27 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

That is a VERY sick fish. Probably Ich, but could also be Brooklynella or Marine Velvet. In any case - ALL fish in your DT MUST be removed and treated in a proper Hospital Tank. There are exactly ZERO reef safe medications that will actually work. Any that claim they are reef safe are snake oil.

jm.o2

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 07:57 PM   #3
ilyiza
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
That is a VERY sick fish. Probably Ich, but could also be Brooklynella or Marine Velvet. In any case - ALL fish in your DT MUST be removed and treated in a proper Hospital Tank. There are exactly ZERO reef safe medications that will actually work. Any that claim they are reef safe are snake oil.

jm.o2
Totally agree.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

ilyiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:31 AM   #4
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post

jm.o2
+1000 Definitely get them out and a treatment started right away. Your tank will have to stay fishless for 72 days.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:37 AM   #5
afish70
Registered Member

I caught her last night and she is no longer with us. The rest of the fish look fine. Do I still need to remove them all?

Unread 09/21/2017, 12:25 PM   #6
jd371
Registered Member

Yes. Even if they don't show any signs, if one of your fish was sick, pretty much they all are. Treat them in a separate tank while the main tank goes fishless.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 02:39 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
Yes. Even if they don't show any signs, if one of your fish was sick, pretty much they all are. Treat them in a separate tank while the main tank goes fishless.

If one is, they all are. Think a classroom full of kindergartners passing whatever bug around.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:57 PM   #8
Khammer
Registered Member

Agreed... set-up another tank and run main tank fishless for awhile until they get over the bug

Khammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 02:34 PM   #9
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Well except the kids with really good immune systems don't get sick, can the same be said for fish?

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin

Last edited by ReeferNoob4ever; 09/22/2017 at 02:45 PM.
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Kremis
Registered Member

i personally dont QT - no space. tank does have ich and has had it for 4 years. every once in a while small "outbreaks' happen due to adding a new fish or another stressful event occuring, but generally the fish are ok. I havent seen any signs of ich in over a year. point is, it is possible to run the tank with ich present. is it the best option? probably not, but it is certainly possible. just my thoughts, being that I have done it for over 4 years.

no need to bash me for thinking that, i understand your guys points of view too

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 05:13 PM   #11
AnnaCassandra
Registered Member

I don't run a QT because of Ich, I QT because I had brooklynella wipe out $600 worth of fish in 3 days. It was heartbreaking, not just because of the cost but to watch my fish rapidly deteriorate and not be able to save them was terrible. I got them all into a QT soon after the first one died but it wasn't soon enough and I lost all but 2. I had waited because the LFS advised a "wait and see" approach and I wish I hadn't listened, I get why they suggested it they didn't want me to do something drastic if it was just an ordinary fish death but I had a feeling and I should have listened to it.

Ich is not the worst thing that can happen to your tank, it's just the most common. It's totally your call if you want to risk the loss, and I can see how in smaller systems the hassle of operating a qt is likely worth accepting the risk. So I'm not bashing you for your choices. I just would be careful suggesting others do the same as you.

As for the OP, how long have you had this fish? Any other recent additions? From what I've read regarding ich is that fish death is usually due to subsequent outbreaks that build up and eventually overwhelm the fish- a quick death like this leads me to believe that this is likely velvet not ich. I would get the rest of the fish out and into treatment ASAP. Even if none of them are showing any symptoms, velvet is a quick killer and often by the time symptoms are noticeable you have little chance of saving your fish.

AnnaCassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 03:13 PM   #12
monkeysee1
Registered Member

Quote:
That is a VERY sick fish. Probably Ich, but could also be Brooklynella or Marine Velvet.
Or flukes. If you see it putting out stringy poop, then my house is on it.
If that is the case, get some Prazi Pro, follow directions and start treating.
Yes, you CAN use it in your DT.

Quote:
If one is, they all are. Think a classroom full of kindergartners passing whatever bug around.
+10000
Assume ALL of the fish are infected.
If it IS ich, put in a quarantine tank and start HYPO.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 04:42 PM   #13
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post

+1 to this.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 04:44 PM   #14
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremis View Post
i personally dont QT - no space. tank does have ich and has had it for 4 years. every once in a while small "outbreaks' happen due to adding a new fish or another stressful event occuring, but generally the fish are ok. I havent seen any signs of ich in over a year. point is, it is possible to run the tank with ich present. is it the best option? probably not, but it is certainly possible. just my thoughts, being that I have done it for over 4 years.

no need to bash me for thinking that, i understand your guys points of view too

I mean it's not bashing you, but personally just because you can run a tank where all the fish have ice, doesn't mean it's in the best interest of the fish or your system. Just my .02 cents.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 12:20 PM   #15
reef cuber
Registered Member

I got it once in my main tank, removed all my fish, let the main tank sit over 3 months before putting any more fish in it. I now QT my fish for 2 months before putting in the main tank. It's just so much better to have the patience to let things rest then to battle that crap and risk the fishes lives.

reef cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 02:38 PM   #16
afish70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef cuber View Post
I got it once in my main tank, removed all my fish, let the main tank sit over 3 months before putting any more fish in it. I now QT my fish for 2 months before putting in the main tank. It's just so much better to have the patience to let things rest then to battle that crap and risk the fishes lives.

Do you medicate during your (2) month QT?