Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2018, 09:39 AM   #1
jreefer87
Registered Member

Tank stand ideas

So I currently have a 55 gallon tank on a regular stand with all of my stuff hob. I am trying to move my tank to a stand that will allow me to have a sump but cant seem to find anything with cabinets etc. To those who have systems with sumps, where on earth did you find your stands? I thought about building one; but with my minimal carpentry skill...the tank would probably come crashing down.

jreefer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Tank stand ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreefer87 View Post
So I currently have a 55 gallon tank on a regular stand with all of my stuff hob. I am trying to move my tank to a stand that will allow me to have a sump but cant seem to find anything with cabinets etc. To those who have systems with sumps, where on earth did you find your stands? I thought about building one; but with my minimal carpentry skill...the tank would probably come crashing down.

I’d say it’s a combination of people either building them themselves, or the stand came with the tank. I can’t think of any manufactures that don’t sell stands. Matter of fact some of the bigger and less expensive brands insist you use one of their in house stands or the warranty is voided.

When I started with a 55 gallon it was a marineland tank with the matching MDF stand. I had a sump.

My current 90 gallon is an aqueon with matching plywood stand and canopy

75 gallon acrylic tank I built the stand for

150 gallon glass rimless the stand is also home made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 02:10 PM   #3
mattgumaer
Registered Member

It shouldn't be hard to find a 55 gallon stand at all. The usual big box pet stores sell them as well as any local stores that sell 55 gallon tanks in my experience.

There isn't too much room in a 55 gallon stand front to back, given the tank's dimensions. If you're in upgrade mode, maybe you should give some thought to a 75 gallon, 90 gallon or 120 gallon tank. They're all 4 footers and easier to work with in terms of in tank and under tank space.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Akram
Registered Member

Maybe it’s tome for you to learn some carpentry. It’s very helpful to know a skill, just watch some videos and go with the simplest. Lots of members here will be happy to help

Akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Nickfishman
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMn0xXjZF4

check out this video, he does a lot diy (stands, tanks, overflows, etc.)
great source of info for diy topics.

Nickfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 09:05 PM   #6
Misled
RC Mod

I built mine.