Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2009, 07:31 PM   #1
jbrown11352
Moved On

OT: BBQ Smokers

Does anyone know of a site that reviews smokers or can anyone tell me your experiences with particular brands, models, etc?

Thanks in advance

jbrown11352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 08:10 PM   #2
THE GIMP
Premium Member

Bradley Smoker all the way.

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokerreview...apr042505d.htm

I tried tending a fire ALL day.......... not happening again, nor do I have the diligence to learn how to either.
I set the Bradley up, and check on it from time to time, usually to give it a misting of apple juice.
Some complain about the cost of the wood chips, I don't think it is that bad. I can cook and get things done around the house at the same time. Nothing makes paperwork go quick than knowing something tasty is in the smoker.

We're gonna need a bigger boat...
If its not tied up or in a cage, I'll need a stick!
Who is John Galt?

Current Tank Info: 180 BB, ATB med ext, 2 Vortechs, Life Reef CARX, RKE, T5
THE GIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 08:19 PM   #3
goodtimes2
Registered Member

I would check out the cabelas' website under smokers, they have a good selection to choose at pretty good prices.

goodtimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 08:20 PM   #4
dodgerblew
Registered Member

I agree that the Bradley smoker is very good. The one I bought though was from Costco. Stainless steel, 3 shelves and runs on propane. Awesome unit for the cost and it can cook so much food. They usually have them in the warehouse in the spring/summer but you can probably find it online. Its called the Grand Cafe.

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 08:43 PM   #5
jbrown11352
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE GIMP View Post
Bradley Smoker all the way.

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokerreview...apr042505d.htm

I tried tending a fire ALL day.......... not happening again, nor do I have the diligence to learn how to either.
I set the Bradley up, and check on it from time to time, usually to give it a misting of apple juice.
Some complain about the cost of the wood chips, I don't think it is that bad. I can cook and get things done around the house at the same time. Nothing makes paperwork go quick than knowing something tasty is in the smoker.
There is 1 review and it is bad, states it only slow smokes (overnight, doesn't reach 320 as advertised) and you have to use bradley fuel which is about $10 per session. Is this what you have experienced?

Unread 11/14/2009, 08:49 PM   #6
jbrown11352
Moved On

I read the one review under compare pricing. The others are mostly negative as well, any thoughts on this?

Unread 11/14/2009, 09:02 PM   #7
golfish
Team RC Member

I've used one of these for years...

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 09:13 PM   #8
gcarroll
Registered Member

The Bradley smoker is a great idea. It either has great reviews or horrible reviews. Nothing in between. I looked into one but the negative reviews made me decide not to.

Positives: Set it and forget it. Perfect cooking every time.
Negatives: you have to use their own smoke wafers and they can be very costly in the long run. Auto-feeder for smoke wafers has a reputation of jamming/breaking.

I have the Grand Cafe and it is the best slow cooker I have ever owned. Problem is that I was looking to buy a smoker not a slow cooker. It just does not smoke. there is obviously a design flaw with the smoke tray.

If you want to see a large selection of smokers, I would suggest a trip to Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga. They have everything from home consumer to large professional/commercial smokers in stock. They also have a good selection of the smaller smokers on their website. I have found it's hard to judge a smoker without seeing it's build quality in person.

I will soon replace my Gran Cafe with the SmokinTex Pro Series Electric Smoker - Model 1400

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 09:20 PM   #9
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
The Bradley smoker is a great idea. It either has great reviews or horrible reviews. Nothing in between. I looked into one but the negative reviews made me decide not to.

Positives: Set it and forget it. Perfect cooking every time.
Negatives: you have to use their own smoke wafers and they can be very costly in the long run. Auto-feeder for smoke wafers has a reputation of jamming/breaking.

I have the Grand Cafe and it is the best slow cooker I have ever owned. Problem is that I was looking to buy a smoker not a slow cooker. It just does not smoke. there is obviously a design flaw with the smoke tray.

If you want to see a large selection of smokers, I would suggest a trip to Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga. They have everything from home consumer to large professional/commercial smokers in stock. They also have a good selection of the smaller smokers on their website. I have found it's hard to judge a smoker without seeing it's build quality in person.

I will soon replace my Gran Cafe with the SmokinTex Pro Series Electric Smoker - Model 1400
you don't think the grand cafe imparts a good smoke flavor Greg?

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 09:33 PM   #10
badbones
Premium Member

I just bought this one for like 170 at lowes. It works fine but u do have to watch the smoke/chips to make sure when time to refill. I like the refrig style door on it. Also to add chips, yoou dont have to open the door. They just drop in the side.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...106&lpage=none

badbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 09:42 PM   #11
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
you don't think the grand cafe imparts a good smoke flavor Greg?
personally no, I like more than a hint of smoke. Just my preference.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 11/14/2009, 10:26 PM   #12
jbrown11352
Moved On

What are the pros and cons of the simpler smokers like the one pictured in the link above that is attached to the charcoal BBQ?

Unread 11/14/2009, 10:44 PM   #13
jabel
Registered Member

Hey Greg, I have the same grand cafe smoker and I removed the sliding tray and put the wet wood chips directly on the tray support. I use a bbq cleaning wand to push the chips back. This gets them hot enough to smoke. The tray is just too big and the heat gets drawn out by all of the connecting steel. Once I figured this out, I've been happy. Defenitely the best smoker I've had.

Jeff

jabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2009, 10:52 PM   #14
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown11352 View Post
What are the pros and cons of the simpler smokers like the one pictured in the link above that is attached to the charcoal BBQ?
Looks to have a history of heating element troubles.

Overall Rating: 1 out of 5
Died After About 10 Smokes, October 19, 2009
By OzarkKid (read all my reviews)
Disadvantages: Durability, Quality, 90 day warranty
"I've had mine for about 18 months. I used it about 10 times. I would have rated it 5 stars before it died this weekend. You will be upset when you have your ribs all ready to go and this smoker quits on you."

Pile of junk, October 14, 2009
By Tarpondawg from Venice, Fl (read all my reviews)
Disadvantages: Durability, Quality
"Bought smoker in Nov. 08. Used twice element went out. Only has 90 day warranty and manufacturer wants $89.99 to replace. Has history of element problems...read other reviews. Bass Pro should pull this item from their stores. Manufacturer will not stand behind thier product full knowing the element is an issue!!!!! Buy anything but this smoker!!!"

Disposable Unit, October 7, 2009
By tbare from Tampa, FL (read all my reviews)
Advantages: Functional/Useful
Disadvantages: Durability, Quality, no replacement burner
"Masterbuilt will not sell you a burner unit. If the burner unit fails your only option is to buy a new body for $89.99 plus shipping as they will not sell you parts for "Liability Reasons" Most of the other manufactures will happily sell you parts. At this time, replacement bodies are on backorder for at least 70 days.
Buyer-Beware,
t_bare"

low quality, September 27, 2009
By Anonymous
Advantages: Functional/Useful
Disadvantages: Quality
"Smokes meats well, easy to use. I've returned one for a gasket that wouldn't stay on right out of the box. The paint peeled of the door after one use (not from heat or direct exposure to elements). Nine months and about 10 uses and the heating element is bad. Glad I paid doorbuster price and not full price."

There were the most recent reviews from here:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...esults#reviews

Unread 11/14/2009, 10:54 PM   #15
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabel View Post
Hey Greg, I have the same grand cafe smoker and I removed the sliding tray and put the wet wood chips directly on the tray support. I use a bbq cleaning wand to push the chips back. This gets them hot enough to smoke. The tray is just too big and the heat gets drawn out by all of the connecting steel. Once I figured this out, I've been happy. Defenitely the best smoker I've had.

Jeff
I'll try that because the cook quality on the smoker is awesome.

Unread 11/14/2009, 11:52 PM   #16
badbones
Premium Member

Damn Greg Thanks I have used mine 3 times now with no probs....now im bummed lol

badbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2009, 01:04 AM   #17
THE GIMP
Premium Member

My experience is limited to only a simple electric one from HD, which seemed to be more of a steamer. Used it a few times and started modifying it. I get irritated if I have to upgrade a thing I paid for, and especially irritated if I have to come up with a mod myself just to get it to do what I thought I was paying for.... cough /skimmers/ cough. I had better results with a pie tin full of wood chips covered in foil that I tossed on the grill.
If you just want to add smoke flavor to grilled food, then I would do just that. If you want to smoke food -and to me that means s l o w, an auto feeder is it.

I buy my chips/pucks online. I got the combo pack to try everything out and it lasted me 4 times. Worked out to about $8.00 each time. Even at ten bux it would still be worth it because to slow cook you have to be really good at managing your heat and smoke to keep it on target for HOURS. I have better things to do than poke a smoldering pile of wood with a stick. And I wasn't that good at it, honestly. I'd get distracted and forget about it.

I got my Bradley from Cabellas during a sale.
There are a tone of sites dedicated to the Bradley, surf around.
Mine did jam, but I made some minor adjustments and lubricated it with some vegetable oil / Pam. No problems since. The Racks are a bit flimsy.
Perfect and consistent smoking. I've cooked ribs, a brisket, more ribs, and ribs again. Low and slow. 220 is the hottest I like to go with ribs, pig, and cow. Chicken needs to be cooked to a higher temp though. I usually smoke ribs for 4 hours and then finish off in the oven or FTC the sucker (Foil, Towel, Cooler). I have set it up with five hours worth of pucks and let it run out of chips and just let it cook in the smoker. The unit burns 3 pucks an hour.

Waiting for somebody to catch a bunch of Bonita so I can try it on fish.
Good luck!

We're gonna need a bigger boat...
If its not tied up or in a cage, I'll need a stick!
Who is John Galt?

Current Tank Info: 180 BB, ATB med ext, 2 Vortechs, Life Reef CARX, RKE, T5
THE GIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2009, 10:52 AM   #18
golfish
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown11352 View Post
If your asking about the one I linked..

The pros are you can use it as a grill and smoker. Its more what I would call a true BBQ rather then a smoker or grill.

The con is that it takes a lot of wood (I use both) and charcoal to cook with. If I'm doing ribs, chicken and or Tri Tip I can get by with about 10 pounds of charcoal and wood. If I'm doing a big pork roast or Turkey that takes maybe 6-8 hours it might take a whole bag of charcoal plus the wood.

If you want a smoker I'd go with the smaller upright models. The few that I've used work much better for just smoking.

FWIW, I have the one I linked above (mine is an old Char Coal model) plus a standard Weber, a Smoky Joe Webber and a propane grill. There all in the backyard and I use em all.

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2009, 12:38 PM   #19
jbrown11352
Moved On

I currently have the drum type BBQ and a propane grill as well. Im really looking for something to add to the collection strictly for smoking but they all seem to have mostly negative reviews!!

Unread 11/15/2009, 05:12 PM   #20
Jamie1210
Registered Member

for his b/day, I got my boyfriend the Weber Silver Bullet based on the reviews from amazon and various other sources. He tried it out a couple weeks ago--pulled pork--it was THAT good

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2009, 05:39 PM   #21
flyhigh123
funky member

i smoke a few times a month... i have a Masterbuilt electric smoker... it works very well and is fully digital, so its almost a set it and forget it, except i need to put in a few chips every hour...

i like the electric because its less involvement and maintains the temp which is key...

the masterbuilt is made well and no complaints...

i use these two forums as they are really good:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
http://www.thesmokering.com

if you like brisket, the best place to buy is smart and final.. other meats are readily available everywhere...

let me know if u have any questions...

also barbeques galore will match online pricing...

flyhigh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2009, 11:17 PM   #22
pga7602
Registered Member

A few months ago, I was asking the same question. Here are some links to help you:

http://bbq.about.com/od/smokers/tp/aatp081004a.htm

Decide on Electric or Charcoal/Wood

If you decide the latter, then it's a no brainer. Here's an entire site/forum of people who uses the Weber Smokey Mount (WSM).
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

pga7602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2009, 08:34 AM   #23
discotu
Registered Member

the only one you need is "The Big Green Egg"...it does it all. I've done a 24hr smokes (10lb boston butt) with out touching it. keep in mind that was with lump charcoal only! only limitation is grill space. i have medium, but recommend getting a large. Great thing abou this grill is you can smoke overnight and comfortably go to sleep knowing it'll hold temp.

With my barrel smoker w/offset fire box, im constantly tending to the fire...but that's not entirely bad since i usually only use this when im smoking lots and lots of ribs and i baste evey 30mins - 1hr so im out there anyway...drinking beer

Current Tank Info: on a break
discotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2009, 12:15 PM   #24
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotu View Post
the only one you need is "The Big Green Egg"...it does it all. I've done a 24hr smokes (10lb boston butt) with out touching it. keep in mind that was with lump charcoal only! only limitation is grill space. i have medium, but recommend getting a large. Great thing abou this grill is you can smoke overnight and comfortably go to sleep knowing it'll hold temp.

With my barrel smoker w/offset fire box, im constantly tending to the fire...but that's not entirely bad since i usually only use this when im smoking lots and lots of ribs and i baste evey 30mins - 1hr so im out there anyway...drinking beer
Agreed! The Big Green Egg is possibly the best all in one BBQ/Smoker on the market. If I was getting a charcoal powered smoker, This might be the one I would get.

Unread 11/16/2009, 12:27 PM   #25
kaskiles
Registered Member

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/index.html
click the 'The BBQ FAQ Online Version 2.0' link
scroll down, click the 'Go to the Table of Contents' link
scroll down to section 5. Hardware.

kaskiles is offline   Reply With Quote