Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 11:53 PM   #5776
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
I wish you nothing but luck, but there is a reason the vast majority of successes in this thread have been with smalls. The one I have in my QT is eating everything, and it’s probably 2.75”. I’ve seen multiple large ones at LFS that simply don’t eat prepared food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a small one however looks like there is some problems with them from LA at the Cali facility.

I did read where some had success with larger ones from Maldives and this is the first time I’ve seen them available. Apparently the harvesting and transportation of the Maldives Regals is better suited for larger ones and puts less stress on them. Is that not the case?

They take well to Canadian mysis right, I thought I read that too? I feed exclusively PE mysis. Also have live black worms and picky eaters seem to take to them sometimes.

So if these things are true then I’m will to give it a try. I much prefer a larger one, I just don’t think a small one would do well in my system with the tangs even if all goes well through QT. However larger fish they don’t seem to bother. I do agree of the advice on the smaller Angel, in fact I had one doing very well a while back that was lost near the end of QT due to heater failure. I think I actually posted about that sometime ago right in this thread.

I always appreciate the help and advice and I pray my decision doesn’t appear that I’m discounting all the valuable advice in this amazing thread.

This thread is a credit to the hobby and its members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:38 AM   #5777
alton
Registered Member

Bif keep us updated, although unless you choose Saturday shipping we will have to wait till next week? FYI I received a Maldives Blue Face Angel yesterday, 30 min. acclimation, 2 hour rest, 18 min FW dip, the only reason I didn't stop at 12 was because it did not affect him at all, 1.5 hours prazi pro dip, and then a couple hours in regular tank water with until I took him home acclimated him to the QT water. An hour later I went to feed the juvenile Blue face in the same 100g rubber maid tank and the large BF ate like a champ. My hat goes off to the Maldives collection station.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:19 AM   #5778
OrionN
Moved on

alton,
You need to post pictures of the two angels you got from LA

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 08:51 AM   #5779
alton
Registered Member

Here is a picture of one and sorry about the HA, but I can beat it in time versus the Bubble in my old tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg REGAL 2-21-18.jpg (104.4 KB, 63 views)
Unread 02/23/2018, 01:56 PM   #5780
alton
Registered Member

Maldives yellow belly regal on divers den today

Unread 02/23/2018, 02:58 PM   #5781
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Maldives yellow belly regal on divers den today
Too bad they’ll want $300 for it.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:59 PM   #5782
alton
Registered Member

This ones not a juvey, probably a little more

Unread 02/23/2018, 04:02 PM   #5783
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

They have orange belly available on the website for $229/small

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:09 PM   #5784
alton
Registered Member

Well it was a large that went for $50 less than la

Unread 02/23/2018, 11:11 PM   #5785
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
They have orange belly available on the website for $229/small
I ordered one of those Monday for wed arrival. Never shipped, supposedly due to fish being sick. LA can’t communicate with the wholesaler it drop ships from either. Separate facility in CA run independently. LA customer service said they actually have to fax orders to them! Order was cancelled. I noticed today the fish still appears on the site though

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:32 AM   #5786
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
I ordered one of those Monday for wed arrival. Never shipped, supposedly due to fish being sick. LA can’t communicate with the wholesaler it drop ships from either. Separate facility in CA run independently. LA customer service said they actually have to fax orders to them! Order was cancelled. I noticed today the fish still appears on the site though
All the fish that aren’t from DD, come from Quality Marine and yes there is a communication break down that happens between LA and QM more often than not.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 02/24/2018, 11:34 AM   #5787
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Might be worth trying again. Worst that can happen is they cancel the order again.

Unread 02/24/2018, 01:50 PM   #5788
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Might be worth trying again. Worst that can happen is they cancel the order again.
Perhaps. My suspicion is the fish is in stock (and multiple juvi Maldives) because it remained in stock after my purchase. They may be not eating, too weak to ship, and likely not ideal specimens. Didn't realize the CA facility is Quality Marine drop ship. Helpful info.

Apparently LA will keep the order open for up to 2 weeks before cancelling due to this type of reason in case the fish recovers and ships. I voluntarily cancelled it after it never shipped. I noticed my credit card was still billed and not yet refunded though.

I also ordered it Monday during a 20% off promo which is no longer. Not the biggest deal though. I would just like to get a healthy eating juvi that is acclimated to captive life.

I still havent found a good online source for hard to find fish. I've use NY Aquatic, Blue Zoo, LA. (but not DD) . All very mixed results. I've purchased yellow belly regals from Blue Zoo and NY Aquatic years ago, neither of which made it past a few weeks. The NY Aquatic fish was practically DOA but I got it eating flakes. Died a week later. The Blue Zoo one didnt eat a thing, including many types of live and prepared foods. This was years ago and perhaps collection methods are better now. I've been following this chain for years and notice people are having better luck with juvis lately.

Thanks everyone.

Unread 02/24/2018, 03:16 PM   #5789
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Perhaps. My suspicion is the fish is in stock (and multiple juvi Maldives) because it remained in stock after my purchase. They may be not eating, too weak to ship, and likely not ideal specimens. Didn't realize the CA facility is Quality Marine drop ship. Helpful info.

Apparently LA will keep the order open for up to 2 weeks before cancelling due to this type of reason in case the fish recovers and ships. I voluntarily cancelled it after it never shipped. I noticed my credit card was still billed and not yet refunded though.

I also ordered it Monday during a 20% off promo which is no longer. Not the biggest deal though. I would just like to get a healthy eating juvi that is acclimated to captive life.

I still havent found a good online source for hard to find fish. I've use NY Aquatic, Blue Zoo, LA. (but not DD) . All very mixed results. I've purchased yellow belly regals from Blue Zoo and NY Aquatic years ago, neither of which made it past a few weeks. The NY Aquatic fish was practically DOA but I got it eating flakes. Died a week later. The Blue Zoo one didnt eat a thing, including many types of live and prepared foods. This was years ago and perhaps collection methods are better now. I've been following this chain for years and notice people are having better luck with juvis lately.

Thanks everyone.
I can put you in touch with some people that will be able to get you rare, healthy fish.

Unread 02/24/2018, 03:45 PM   #5790
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
I would just like to get a healthy eating juvi that is acclimated to captive life.
LA gives you a 2 week guarantee... But does not guarantee a healthy eating juvi that is acclimated to captive life.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 09:41 PM   #5791
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
LA gives you a 2 week guarantee... But does not guarantee a healthy eating juvi that is acclimated to captive life.
Yea. I would assume most regals that are sold from any wholesaler aren’t eating. Or are even sold before there is much of a chance to even try to get them eating.

Unread 02/26/2018, 12:57 PM   #5792
alton
Registered Member

My two are still doing fine, one is coming out and eating the algae on the overflow. I did see a little aggression this morning between the two but not real bad.

Unread 02/26/2018, 03:33 PM   #5793
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Good point, acclimated is the wrong word. However, would like one that is eating something and functioning in captivity. I've found it's very tough to recover unhealthy fish that don't eat right after hitting the tanks in the US.

I've had a lot of challenges with simply obtaining a healthy regal at a small size. I've become more interested lately from following this chain and seeing folks obtaining healthy yellow/orange belly juvis from common sources like LA, DD, LFS, etc.

I live in Atlanta and I never see healthy juvi regals at LFS. I come across 4"+ ones though. I'm sure most are snagged by hobbyists who don't know what they're getting into in terms of acclimating these fish and placing them in a tank where they wont get dominated. Very shy fish at first.

Unread 02/26/2018, 03:34 PM   #5794
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
I can put you in touch with some people that will be able to get you rare, healthy fish.
Would love that. Would you want to email me directly? Let me know.

Ryan

Unread 02/27/2018, 02:28 PM   #5795
alton
Registered Member

Juvenile coming up at 5, AQSALE20 till tonight

Unread 02/27/2018, 03:59 PM   #5796
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
lol, put me in touch with them too

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 04:28 PM   #5797
humaguy
Premium Member

Hey Kids,

So, this thread was started almost 15 years ago and during that time the collection practices have substantially improved in many areas where regals are collected. My current is 5 and was tiny when she got here, had no trouble eating from the start, and if anything, was a pita because she used to go after a baby goldflake hybrid. I dont understand why this fish seems to be so difficult for some to raise.

Is the problem that they are not eating? disease? hobbyists who dont know what they are doing? getting bad advice on what the fish needs to thrive? or a general overall quality control issue in lfs, whether brick and mortar or online?

The rise of huge corps eating the mom and pop "true" lfs has been a huge loss for the hobby and imho has led to a decline in the health of fish, post collector.

Thoughts?

Anyway, good luck.

TK

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 06:07 AM   #5798
alton
Registered Member

Ted these Maldives Regals have helped a bunch in getting a Regal that does well in our tanks and it doesn't require a pro to get to eat. The four LFS in the San Antonio area that i use will not bring in a Regal to the store to sell even after I tell them how well the Maldives do in my tanks. My two from last year are getting along great and are not that shy especially when it comes to feeding time. The third which came in as a baby I had to trade for corals do to it growing so fast in my office tank. I guess I shouldn't feed the tank 6 times a day sometimes. I know this sounds crazy but I think our fish do better if we spend more time with them versus walk up to the tank feed and walk away. Being in my office 11 hours a day has its advantages.

Unread 02/28/2018, 06:33 AM   #5799
OrionN
Moved on

That is for sure. The fishes in my office get better care than home tank. They certainly grow faster in smaller tank. Not that fishes at home are thin. They also fat but just does nut grow as fast.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 06:58 AM   #5800
alton
Registered Member

So I am guessing no one on here ended up with one of the DD Regals?