Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Collinrb
Registered Member

Looking for a small algae eating fish...

I'm plumbing in a custom 7gal frag tank next to my 90g display. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on a fish to stick into this guy that'll do a good job on the algae eating, but will also stay small. Any options out there?

Unread 08/11/2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Vince272992
Registered Member

the only fish i could think of is a lawn mower blenny, they are great with alge but get pretty big, they should be kept in a tank of at least 20gal but if you get a small one now and once it out grows ur 7gal, throw it in your 90... there supper cool fish, so i would go with a alge blenny....

Vince272992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2012, 02:58 PM   #3
phish guy
Registered Member

In a tank that small, i would just go with some snails or a fuzzy chiton or two.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Collinrb
Registered Member

I would get a lawnmower, but I've already got a starry blenny going in the 90. Don't think they'd appreciate each other's company

Phish_guy That's probably going to be my best bet. Any certain snails? Or will the Banded Trochus be okay?

Unread 08/12/2012, 08:35 PM   #5
phish guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinrb View Post
I would get a lawnmower, but I've already got a starry blenny going in the 90. Don't think they'd appreciate each other's company

Phish_guy That's probably going to be my best bet. Any certain snails? Or will the Banded Trochus be okay?

i bought about 100 dwarf ceriths from reefcleaners for my 150 gallon and to be honest, they do a hell of a job. they are ALWAYS grazing on algae on the glass and rock. the reason i thought about going with dwarfs for your 7 gallon, you wont have any problems with larger snails toppling over any frags

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2012, 10:20 PM   #6
mussel and hate
Registered Member

Rainsford's Goby?

mussel and hate is offline   Reply With Quote