Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2015, 06:51 AM   #3326
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
Wow. That's awesome Dennis. Fantastic!

Sorry if you have posted it, but what's you lighting schedule? Specifically how long you run the MH.

Cheers

The whole thing goes from 9:30am to 10:30pm.
MH are on from 1:30 to 8pm

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 08:56 AM   #3327
tlc
Registered Member

I have been on the fence about getting the bml super actinic strip. thanks for posting those lights. looks fantastic..

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 11:06 AM   #3328
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
I have been on the fence about getting the bml super actinic strip. thanks for posting those lights. looks fantastic..
No problem!
I was originally looking at reefbrite strips, then a buddy was recommending a DIY kit from rapid led. Almost went that route but it seemed like too much hassle. Decided on the Build My LED because they use 92 top shelf LEDs which is nearly twice as many as reefbrite. And they are practically next door to me in Austin, TX.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 08/08/2015, 03:08 PM   #3329
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post

The whole thing goes from 9:30am to 10:30pm.

MH are on from 1:30 to 8pm

Cool. Thanks Dennis

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2015, 06:08 PM   #3330
d2mini
Registered Member

Just published a new blog post on my current lighting setup and reef lighting in general.
http://www.everydayreef.com/blog/201...e-t5-led-oh-my
Mostly a review of what you've seen here, but if you like what you see feel free to share in your Facebook groups!

Unread 08/17/2015, 09:24 AM   #3331
vitodog
Registered Member

Nicely done. Great simplified explanation of the plus and minuses of all three lighting options. I'm not quite ready to go back to MH's but I have experienced the down side of LED's. I'm not knocking LED's, I still expect to be using LED's for all of the reasons you state in your blog. I will be using an ATI T-5 Sunpower (8 bulb 54 wt) fixture but will be supplementing this with two BML Super Actinic (LED) fixtures. After reading your blog, I feel less tense about going this route with my lighting. Thanks for doing the blog. I found it to be informative and insightful. Great post Dennis.

Unread 08/17/2015, 09:54 AM   #3332
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Just published a new blog post on my current lighting setup and reef lighting in general.
Mostly a review of what you've seen here, but if you like what you see feel free to share in your Facebook groups!
Very nice

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 04:18 PM   #3333
Reefer PT
Registered Member

Dennis, As someone who obviously has played around with lighting, what do you think about this set up:
120gal 4x2x2 tank with 2 54w T5's (bulb rec please) and 2 Reefbreeder 16" photons and 2 150 watt DE MH. I was planning on running the photons perpendicular to the tank and alternate placement with the DE MH's. The T5's would run 1 on either side of the center LED/MH lights.
I was planning on using the luxcore ballast so if I need to go up to 250 watts it would be a simple upgrade path.
These will all be in a hood with fan cooling. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I only have the LED's and T5 retro purchased. Which after reading this thread I wish I didn't buy that type of LED fixture.
Thanks
Dave

Reefer PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 06:03 AM   #3334
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer PT View Post
Dennis, As someone who obviously has played around with lighting, what do you think about this set up:
120gal 4x2x2 tank with 2 54w T5's (bulb rec please) and 2 Reefbreeder 16" photons and 2 150 watt DE MH. I was planning on running the photons perpendicular to the tank and alternate placement with the DE MH's. The T5's would run 1 on either side of the center LED/MH lights.
I was planning on using the luxcore ballast so if I need to go up to 250 watts it would be a simple upgrade path.
These will all be in a hood with fan cooling. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I only have the LED's and T5 retro purchased. Which after reading this thread I wish I didn't buy that type of LED fixture.
Thanks
Dave
For the T5 try the KZ Super Blue for more crisp blue and more PAR. And a Giesemann Super Actinic.

For the MH and LED, i'd want to try the MH in the center where they would normally be if running only MH. Then take the LEDs and hang them lengthwise front to back, one on each end of the tank angled in 45 degrees towards the center of the tank.
So it would look like... LED MH MH LED
The two MH should be enough for a 4' tank on their own so the LED are more supplemental.

Unread 08/25/2015, 11:09 AM   #3335
Reefer PT
Registered Member

Quote:
Then take the LEDs and hang them lengthwise front to back, one on each end of the tank angled in 45 degrees towards the center of the tank.
Never thought of hanging them on a 45, great idea!

Reefer PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 01:16 PM   #3336
d2mini
Registered Member

New blog post is up!
This one is on choosing a camera so you too can take purdy pictures.

http://www.everydayreef.com

Unread 08/27/2015, 02:44 AM   #3337
sh8g8delik
Registered Member

Awesome writeup on cameras and lights Dennis! love your tank, sump, water change, camera ( I have the same with the tamron) house, car, pretty much everything you have including your baby girl!

Current Tank Info: 125g Peninsula Tank 48Lx30Wx20H, 24" Ati Hybrid powermodule 8 bulb, SWC 230 skimmer, Maxspect gyre 150, 36" Ruby Elite Trigger Sump, MP40W, 1" Sea Swirl, BRS Dual Reactor, Bubble Magus Dosing Pump.
sh8g8delik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 05:26 AM   #3338
platypusklr
Registered Member

Your setup is incredible man!!! How do you like the lifereef setup? I am on the build schedule for a setup, and am looking at getting a Cal reacter as well.

My tank saved my life. It was truly the best cure for the daily thoughts, and nightly dreams of a troubled Soldier.

Current Tank Info: Tankless for the next couple years until my Army Career comes to a close! (20 years going strong)
platypusklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 08:04 AM   #3339
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh8g8delik View Post
Awesome writeup on cameras and lights Dennis! love your tank, sump, water change, camera ( I have the same with the tamron) house, car, pretty much everything you have including your baby girl!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypusklr View Post
Your setup is incredible man!!! How do you like the lifereef setup? I am on the build schedule for a setup, and am looking at getting a Cal reacter as well.
The lifereef setup is great.
I've had the skimmer for quite some time and wouldn't use anything else.
The sump is working out really well. It's not as sexy as a Royal Exclusiv Dream Box but it functions beautifully which is what matters. Love not having filter socks. The filter pads are much easier to deal with. And then the chaeto ball in the attached refugium is pulling out all my excess organics. Still have nitrates too low, and P04 is still ultra low too.
The calcium reactor is fine. It works well. My only complaint is the location of the pH probe. I know Jeff put it there so it wasn't sticking out the top where it adds to the overall height and could possibly be broken, but where he has it requires a complete drain of the reactor if you need to remove the probe to recalibrate. Pain in the butt. The GEO is basically the same reactor but with pH probe located up top and the flow is reversed, which I hear can be better. So if I had to do it again, I'd probably go GEO with the reactor.

Unread 08/27/2015, 12:17 PM   #3340
broadwave
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks!

The lifereef setup is great.
I've had the skimmer for quite some time and wouldn't use anything else.
The sump is working out really well. It's not as sexy as a Royal Exclusiv Dream Box but it functions beautifully which is what matters. Love not having filter socks. The filter pads are much easier to deal with. And then the chaeto ball in the attached refugium is pulling out all my excess organics. Still have nitrates too low, and P04 is still ultra low too.
The calcium reactor is fine. It works well. My only complaint is the location of the pH probe. I know Jeff put it there so it wasn't sticking out the top where it adds to the overall height and could possibly be broken, but where he has it requires a complete drain of the reactor if you need to remove the probe to recalibrate. Pain in the butt. The GEO is basically the same reactor but with pH probe located up top and the flow is reversed, which I hear can be better. So if I had to do it again, I'd probably go GEO with the reactor.

Dennis, I too had the LifeReef LCR2 Reactor and agree with your statement about the pH Probe as well as the flow. I actually switched to the Geo 618 Reactor and I am very happy. I really think the reverse flow inside the reactor seems to be a more efficient use of the C02. Don't get me wrong, the LCR2 is a fine reactor, I just prefer the GEO 618.

http://www.broadwavesreef.com/
broadwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 08:22 AM   #3341
d2mini
Registered Member

Took a couple random updated pics of the fish room/science lab.

Here's the business side of it...

The fragging and testing station...

And the mangroves. I had trimmed them, they sprouted new branches and I'm going to have to trim them again. Looking for bushiness over height. They are already pretty tall.

www.everydayreef.com

Unread 08/28/2015, 01:54 PM   #3342
rlpardue
Registered Member

Since when does teh d2mini use teh over-teh-back overflow?!

5x2x2 Build In Progress (near completion!)

Current Tank Info: 5-foot 150g
rlpardue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 03:58 PM   #3343
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpardue View Post
Since when does teh d2mini use teh over-teh-back overflow?!

LOL, because when building out the fish room, I decided there was no need to be bothered with getting tanks drilled and overflow boxes made. The lifereef HOB's work great!

Unread 09/07/2015, 02:15 AM   #3344
CJBuckeyes
Registered Member

Just ordered a cebu, and was wondering why you decided to add the LEDs? Were you having trouble getting the color you liked?

CJBuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 06:04 AM   #3345
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBuckeyes View Post
Just ordered a cebu, and was wondering why you decided to add the LEDs? Were you having trouble getting the color you liked?
I kinda go over it here...

But no, i wasn't having color troubles.
Basically there are positive qualities of each lighting system so I figured why not utilize all three?
The LED strip gives me an extra stage of dusk/dawn and that extra color pop during that time.
During midday it's allowed me to remove one of my actinic T5's and replace it with a KZ Super Blue for more PAR. The led adds a nice amount of UV and actinic for the coral.

Unread 10/04/2015, 08:04 PM   #3346
rdjromy
Registered Member

Life Reef Venturi

just wondering if you could teach me on how to assemble the valve that you have near the venturi

Attached Images
File Type: jpg life reef venturi.jpg (17.2 KB, 232 views)
rdjromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2015, 06:04 AM   #3347
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjromy View Post
just wondering if you could teach me on how to assemble the valve that you have near the venturi
Easy... you buy the skimmer from Jeff. No assembly required.

Seriously though... not sure what you are asking???
What valve?

Unread 10/20/2015, 09:43 AM   #3348
d2mini
Registered Member

It is with a mix of emotions that I present to you the LAST pic of my reef!

Life changes and you have to roll with it.
We decided as a family that it would be better for us overall to move back into Houston proper to be closer to work, city activities, etc so our home is up for sale! The long daily commute has taken it's toll on the wife and I and it's not fair to the kids either. Family takes priority! Hobbies are hobbies.

At this time I'm not sure what the future holds as far as the reef hobby is concerned. Anyone who knows me knows that I am very passionate about the hobby and there WILL be another tank in my future, I just don't know what that is at this time. I do know that the new (to us) house will be half the size, so I doubt there will be a separate fish room this time, or a tank of this size. That's ok though. This build was a fun adventure over the past 4 years and even if the next tank is smaller in scale, I have still learned a lot and hope to use that knowledge to create an amazing new tank no matter the size. And if you know me, you know I don't just slap a tank in the corner of a room and call it a day. There will be lots of contemplation and planning before a new build is begun.

You may be wondering what my plans are for the current tank. Obviously the easiest thing would be to sell it with the house, especially being so built in. But we all know chances are slim that the new buyer would be interested. At any rate, I figure most people don't care much about coral so I have already started selling off colonies. In the end, I would bet that the tank will be torn down and sold off. I will keep some equipment that could be used on the next tank like controller, reactors, etc. Some equipment will get sold. It's even possible the cabinetry will get removed just to make the room look bigger and put it back to "stock" spec so to speak.

Some coral I would like to keep, especially the higher end pieces. At least frags of it. So will be replacing my 10g fusion at my office with an IM Lagoon 25. This way I can hold on to my favorite stuff and then eventually transfer or frag it to the next tank at home. I will start a build on that soon, as soon as the tank and stand arrive at my LFS. What a downgrade/transition that will be!

So for now, I'll be selling coral, keeping the house tidy, and trying to get it sold in a slowwwww market. Will keep ya'll updated if we find a new place.
Keep an eye out in the nano forum if you are interested in the Lagoon build. I'll come back and put a link in here.

And thanks for all the support, help, encouragement, etc over the past 4 years!
It means a lot that ya'll care enough to read my dribble, look at my photos, ask questions... and I love reading when people actually benefit from it.
That's the best part.

Last edited by d2mini; 10/20/2015 at 09:57 AM.
Unread 10/20/2015, 09:46 AM   #3349
tommyboynj
Registered Member

Man. Say it so! Your thread has been inspirational. I'm going through a major home addition myself right now and will be building a fish room etc. You provided so much detail on this build that it has shortened the learning curve for many of us contemplating similar builds.

tommyboynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2015, 09:47 AM   #3350
SPotter
Registered Member

no way Dennis!!!!!! As sad as I am to read this, I am happy for you and your family that this change will hopefully make life better and easier for you all!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote