Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 11:59 PM   #1
Polyp Addict
Registered Member

Frogspawn killing torch

My frogspawn killed at least 4 heads of my torch, they're semi close to one another but i thought euphillyas can be kept close to on another.

Polyp Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 03:59 AM   #2
jrill
Registered Member

Normally it's the torch that Is the problem. Torches need to be kept away from frogs and hammers so the torch dose not damage them.

jrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Reef Bass
colors and textures

As jrill pointed out, usually torches are the aggressor. Mine wants to whoop anything near by, including other Euphyllia.

For contrast, my hammers and frogspawn cozy up to each other without issue.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

In my experience issues can aries with any of them. some torches don't like to be placed by other torches, some frogspawn and hammers don't get along, and others comingle without issues. I've found the best bet is to place them near eachother so when their fully open the tentacles will just touch and watch for one to pull back from the contact. I've also seen better results to coral just brushing another and then slowly growing closer than starting almost on top of eachother.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 10:09 PM   #5
Polyp Addict
Registered Member

Ok I’ll spread apart, I just thought since they’re in the same family they could be put together

Polyp Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 01:14 AM   #6
manateemark
Registered Member

This is definitely interesting. I never realized that they needed to be separated. I’ve never had issues with my frogspawn and hammer, but I also don’t have any torches.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Dsekula
Registered Member

It is interesting but it's not so much they need to be placed apart as that some do. I have a decent assortment of euphyellia and had some fun experience experimenting with what can and cannot touch. I'm currently up grading my dt and have all my pieces stored in the sump temporarily which means closer quarters than normal so I had to figure out what could touch and what cant. The best I can say is that the closer related the pieces are the more likely they won't have issues. For example I have an Aussie torch (the kind with large full tips) that has no issues with other torches that also have big full tips. It's also fine with beeing comingled with an Aussie wall hammer. But the same torch will sting my branching type hammers and most torches that have the smaller more pointed tips except one I have that's very similar in color. Most hammers and frogspawn are safe placed very close but it's really trial and error, sometimes close is fine but closer isn't as well. Another note is that I have found all my pieces are fine with some contact with rock flower and minimaxi anemones.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote