Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2012, 07:01 AM   #301
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
stunning. thank you.

to mr wilson, i understand your explanation of matching skimmer and sump pump flow rates, however, if this is considered the best way to skim, why do recirculating skimmers exist? and are they more or less efficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
Great video, BRAVO!
Thank you very much ......

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 10:25 AM   #302
Padrino
Registered Member

Peter and Shawn,
fantastic job on the first video. Great work! Any idea when a fellow mast member could come visit you guys? Or is there a future mast event coming up there any time soon.

Cheers
Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 12:01 PM   #303
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Peter, I have following along for quite a while and I am truly inspired by what you and Shawn have created. Not only have you given us something incredible to look at, the information/education you have provided has been very helpful for not only myself but the rest of us who have followed along.

Well done!

P.S. I watched the video in HD and it played flawlessly.

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 12:52 PM   #304
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Peter and Shawn,
fantastic job on the first video. Great work! Any idea when a fellow mast member could come visit you guys? Or is there a future mast event coming up there any time soon.

Cheers
Rob
Rob, thank you very much. Best tour for you might be to see Mr. Wilsons new store and then drop back to my place with him. We are about 15 mins apart. Check with Shawn first.......

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 12:55 PM   #305
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccadoc View Post
Peter, I have following along for quite a while and I am truly inspired by what you and Shawn have created. Not only have you given us something incredible to look at, the information/education you have provided has been very helpful for not only myself but the rest of us who have followed along.

Well done!

P.S. I watched the video in HD and it played flawlessly.
You probably count in the first generation of community on this thread. This almost qualifies you as alumni I think. Thank you very much for your generous praise. Thanks also for the HD feedback. By the sounds of it we will maintain this process for future episodes.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 01:01 PM   #306
Tanu
Registered Member

I've just watched the video, very nice! I especially liked the way the red starfish was pictured at the end.

I am already looking forward to watching the next episode.

Tanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 01:02 PM   #307
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

Remarkable tank and absolutely brilliant video Peter. Your basement reminds me of my mom and dad’s house, amazing just amazing....

Tahir

Current Tank Info: 56cm x 56cm x 56cm
tahiriqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 06:12 PM   #308
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu View Post
I've just watched the video, very nice! I especially liked the way the red starfish was pictured at the end.

I am already looking forward to watching the next episode.
Thanks, I thought that was neat as well. We are meeting Wed night to plan the next episodes. With the overview out of the way we can begin to dig down a wee bit.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 06:22 PM   #309
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiriqbal View Post
Remarkable tank and absolutely brilliant video Peter. Your basement reminds me of my mom and dad’s house, amazing just amazing....

Tahir
Thank you very much Tahir.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 06:57 PM   #310
brockboi
Registered Member

My goodness...I am honestly speechless. I'm a scuba diver and have never and probably will never see anything as beautiful as your tank Peter. Congrats Peter and Shawn, you have created a masterpiece!

brockboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 07:21 PM   #311
lastlight
Premium Member

I thoroughly enjoyed that! I was a little sad to discover it wasn't feature-film length =) You guys are going to have to do some major pruning to keep that 3 foot raceway open for the fishes! Incredible!

Unread 04/23/2012, 07:40 PM   #312
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

I first stumbled upon your build about a year ago. What you have done in a year's time is phenomenal. In the top 3 tanks here on RC. I loved the video and hope to see many more of those. Even the photography has gotten more impressive in that time. I was curious as to how you and Mr. Wilson first got hooked up and when that happened. Judging from the video, when you were redoing the basement you didn't even know you were going to have a reef tank. Incredible job Peter.

Unread 04/23/2012, 08:04 PM   #313
Jessie Gray
Registered Member

Amazing vidio peter and the tank as always looks awsom. great Job team 9 ball

Current Tank Info: putting together a 240g reaf tank with large sump and fuge, 4 250w mh 8 t5s, 4 dwylite 4 actanic, 16 moonlite led's
Jessie Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 09:28 PM   #314
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockboi View Post
My goodness...I am honestly speechless. I'm a scuba diver and have never and probably will never see anything as beautiful as your tank Peter. Congrats Peter and Shawn, you have created a masterpiece!
Thanks, hopefully we can continue to use this format to the benefit of this whole thread community. I appreciate to encouragement.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 10:02 PM   #315
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed that! I was a little sad to discover it wasn't feature-film length =) You guys are going to have to do some major pruning to keep that 3 foot raceway open for the fishes! Incredible!
Thanks Brett. We discussed length when we were filming. We actually have 8 hours of stock to use so far and we will do even more. I think however, we will continue to use 6 minute episodes so thats its manageable for most viewers. I think we are going to need a director.

You are right, in this hobby we are always short of space. This tank should have been 4 ft deep but the advice I got from Mr. Wilson's predecessor was very poor in that regard. I would love to do a new tank from scratch with Mr. Wilson, it would be world class but ..........this one will keep me busy for quite a bit longer.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 10:08 PM   #316
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandfsoccr04 View Post
I first stumbled upon your build about a year ago. What you have done in a year's time is phenomenal. In the top 3 tanks here on RC. I loved the video and hope to see many more of those. Even the photography has gotten more impressive in that time. I was curious as to how you and Mr. Wilson first got hooked up and when that happened. Judging from the video, when you were redoing the basement you didn't even know you were going to have a reef tank. Incredible job Peter.
I met Mr. wilson on this thread after the original design had been finalized. He had to live with the basic tank design but was able to cope very well. I did have a plan for an aquarium but in all fairness I had no idea it was going to evolve the way it did until after the fact.

Thank you for your generous praise.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 10:17 PM   #317
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Gray View Post
Amazing vidio peter and the tank as always looks awsom. great Job team 9 ball
Thank you Jessie, first the tank and now the fish room girl. ......

Peter

Unread 04/24/2012, 01:11 PM   #318
AzLoki
Registered Member

Peter and team nineball excellent job with the episode. You're continued drive and work ethic have been an inspiration to me. I had pulled the plug on my own build after MACNA2011 for a few reasons one being I couldn't make the commitment I thought was needed for success. But after catching up this week and seeing the enjoyment you have from this hobby; I've been sucked back in.

Here's to your continued success. Thanks for sharing your experience, I look forward to future updates and episodes.

-Eddie

AzLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 03:09 PM   #319
108reefer
Registered Member

Very inspirational to see such an elegant build come together and look so spectacular! Your obvious dedication to the hobby is certainly evident in the display and your research room! I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming videos! I watched in HD and was flawless! great production! please keep them coming! we have linked this thread to our local forum as well!
Matt

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless.... Med school - need I say more...
108reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 03:43 PM   #320
bboudreaux
Registered Member

peter simply stunning, i think you should rename your team. "mother nature" i know you are too modest to admit it but i spend 4 to 5hrs a day on reef forums, and have yet to see a tank better or more successful. maybe chingchai is close, but you are still my favorite.

bboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 05:56 PM   #321
Rybren
Registered Member

Peter,

Ret Talbot spoke here at our fish club meeting last night. As we were chatting before his talk, he mentioned that he had come from an engagement in Toronto. He then went on to say that while he was there, he had the opportunity to visit the most spectacular tank that he had ever seen. When I asked if it was yours, he replied with a resounding and enthusiastic YES! You and your team certainly made a huge impression with him (and the rest of us who have to settle for a far too infrequent video )

Unread 04/24/2012, 07:51 PM   #322
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoki View Post
Peter and team nineball excellent job with the episode. You're continued drive and work ethic have been an inspiration to me. I had pulled the plug on my own build after MACNA2011 for a few reasons one being I couldn't make the commitment I thought was needed for success. But after catching up this week and seeing the enjoyment you have from this hobby; I've been sucked back in.

Here's to your continued success. Thanks for sharing your experience, I look forward to future updates and episodes.

-Eddie
Thank you Eddie for your enthusiastic support. This hobby and its inherent emotional roller coaster is a constant reality we all have to face but it is this community of support that contributes as much to our success as much as maintaining proper water chemistry!!!!

Thanks again,
Peter

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:05 PM   #323
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 108reefer View Post
Very inspirational to see such an elegant build come together and look so spectacular! Your obvious dedication to the hobby is certainly evident in the display and your research room! I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming videos! I watched in HD and was flawless! great production! please keep them coming! we have linked this thread to our local forum as well!
Matt
Thanks for the praise and the feedback on HD. I'm pretty sure we will get better through the next releases. Hi to everyone on your local forum......

Peter

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:12 PM   #324
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboudreaux View Post
peter simply stunning, i think you should rename your team. "mother nature" i know you are too modest to admit it but i spend 4 to 5hrs a day on reef forums, and have yet to see a tank better or more successful. maybe chingchai is close, but you are still my favorite.
Thank you so very much. Chingchai is truly a Grand Master and representative of the best values this hobby can produce. I am sure with all we have in common that neither of us feels competitive in the least. I am sure I can speak for both of us that all we can hope for is to keep learning and benefiting from our experience. I also believe we share the belief that sharing our enthusiasm with this community is the best part of this whole experience.

Thanks again.

Peter

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:24 PM   #325
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Peter,

Ret Talbot spoke here at our fish club meeting last night. As we were chatting before his talk, he mentioned that he had come from an engagement in Toronto. He then went on to say that while he was there, he had the opportunity to visit the most spectacular tank that he had ever seen. When I asked if it was yours, he replied with a resounding and enthusiastic YES! You and your team certainly made a huge impression with him (and the rest of us who have to settle for a far too infrequent video )
I enjoyed meeting Ret for the first time in front of the fish tank. He is a gentleman and I look forward to meet his wife (artist) possibly in Texas. We had an informal conversation about the hobby and supporting industries and I have to admit he is extremely well informed and well balanced in his perspective.

As far as invites go you are always welcome to a tour whenever you slide into Toronto. As noted in the previous post, sharing is the best part of this hobby.
Stay tuned to more videos......

Peter