Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2006, 11:03 PM   #1
jdhanover
Registered Member

Fuge Lighting and Cyano in New Tank

My tank has been up for a few months (details below). In it now is: 2 juvenile CB Onyx Clowns (who seem to be doing well), about 200 pounds of rock (half was live, the rest base), a small cleanup crew (skunk cleaner, 2 peppermints, 10 red leg crabs, some blue legged, 1 turbo snail and a dozen or so smaller snails).

The peppermints appear to be keeping the aiptasia under control.

Just got some cheato and some Mangroves for my 30g fuge foma friend (the mangroves were hurting but figured I'd try to save them) - question is do I have the right light. I am using two 40W 2700K Plant/aquarium bulbs. Read elsewhere that 6700k was recommended. I can change out the bulbs if need be (though it'll tick me off since I was told to get the plant bulbs but maybe I got the wrong type).

Still having cyano issues but dont want to use the chemicals if I can avoid it. Have been told to be patient and simply get out what I can. But a lot of it is on the sand - how do I get it off there without disturbing the DSB? Do I simply net a very thin layer of the top of the sand?

Appreciate help on both questions!

Current Tank Info: JBJ Nano 28g for sale along with other stuff
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Mangroves require a lot of light. Many use halides for them. You also need quite a few to really be effective in regard to nutrient export. Mangrove plants may be useful to aquariums but in terms of nutrient uptake they are far inferior to macroalgae growth.

Your best bet is to keep the cheato happy. Almost any twisty/screw type PC lamp will do. The most durable are the ones that look like a flood light and have the twist bulb inside. I use these to grow massive amounts of chaetomorpha in all my fuges at work. You can find them at wally world, home depot and many other lighting and hardware stores. They come in many different wattages and almost all are in the 5600K to 6700K range. I use the ones rated for 150 watts which I believe actually consume about 65 watts.

Lights of America, GE, Sylvania are all good brands.

As for the cyno adding more flow across the sand helps. You have a young tank and cyno is a common phase. It is possible to syphon it off with airline tubing and not effect your DSB. The best way is to gently stir it up with-out going more than a 1/4" into your DSB then syphon the bits as they rise into the water.

Last edited by Aquabucket; 10/01/2006 at 11:47 PM.
Aquabucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2006, 01:08 AM   #3
outy
Moved On

exactly what he said

my new dsb had cyano for 5 weeks i just ran my fingers through it twice a week to get rid of the large strings

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2006, 07:41 AM   #4
jdhanover
Registered Member

thanks guys!

Unread 10/02/2006, 09:27 AM   #5
rodd1rj
Registered Member

careful running your fingers through sand bed with out gloves. You will find out why, bristleworm stings....

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon reef, SPS, LPS, and Softies
rodd1rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2006, 02:17 PM   #6
jdhanover
Registered Member

was going to use the edge of the net...but thanks for the heads up!