Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2013, 09:24 AM   #1
xpertintraining
Registered Member

Penicillus Capitus in Refugium

I need a macro that can grow in a 2" sand bed, preferably host copepods for clams/filter feeders and possibly mandarins, be fairly easy to maintain without sexual incidents. I am considering Penicillus Capitus, but don't find a lot of information on it, so I'm not sure if it would be suitable. Please don't offer Chaeto/Gracillarias as I do not want a tumble or break-off to enter the tank (tried Chaeto before and couldn't get it to tumble well in my style of refugium. If I planted a lot of Penicillus, would I acheive my goals of nutrient transport and copepod hosting?

xpertintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2013, 08:01 PM   #2
tektite
I never finish anyth

No, that algae is extremely slow growing, it is almost useless as a form of nutrient transport. Also its dense structure isn't the greatest for pods. It can also go sexual, though that doesn't really cause problems.

Chaeto is really a great algae for both your objectives, it doesn't need to tumble. Why are you against gracilaria?

If you just want a pod growth area you have some more options, but if you also want a decent amount of nutrient export you've got some problems as you've ruled out the best macros for that.

Unread 11/22/2013, 08:24 PM   #3
xpertintraining
Registered Member

Thank you, although not what I wanted to hear. I tried multiple ways to adjust the flow in my refugium, but I just couldn't get it to tumble. I even installed PVC piping coming off my return to give an extra amount of flow to recirculate_ but it just sat below the water line up against the wall that drains into the return pump chamber. The drainage slots kept getting clogged and the water overflowed, which was OK, but it defeat the purpose. Because it wasn't tumbling, the edges lost color and turned a grayish color and got mushy. I had an LED then added a compact florescent light, but it still died off. Three different trials using different flow and different lighting and three different slow die offs. Now on the other hand, is Gracillarias better than Chaeto, and if so, how?

Unread 11/23/2013, 10:40 AM   #4
tektite
I never finish anyth

Given adequate nutrient levels and light, chaeto does fine even stationary. If it died off like that there's another issue at play, not tumbling alone is not going to kill it like that. Growing stationary the bottom might not grow/die off, but the top should still be fine. Have you tried any other kinds of macroalgae to see how they did in your tank? What are your tank's nitrate and phosphate levels?

Unread 11/24/2013, 10:27 AM   #5
xpertintraining
Registered Member

Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrates:
Phosphorous: 0.25
pH: 8.16
Temp: 7.75
Specific Gravity: 1.023

Unread 11/24/2013, 10:27 AM   #6
xpertintraining