Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2019, 05:52 PM   #1
brvheart
Registered Member

T5 Bulb choice for NON-whites and blues

I know there's about a million T5 posts on here. But I'm actually looking for good T5 bulb choices to enhance the overall color of my light output, which is predominantly white/blue.

I'm currently using a Cebu Sun MH/T5 light that came loaded with 4 super actinics, in addition to my Radium MH's. It's more windex than I prefer.

Even though I've been in the hobby about 20 years, I'm realizing my experience is all MH and VHO up until this light. I'm going to buy a couple bulbs to do some experimenting, and was considering:

Purple Plus
Coral Plus

I may forego the Coral Plus though, unless convinced otherwise, as it seems more "white". I know it's a super popular 50/50 combo with the Super Blue. But the T5's are not my primary light source. They support the Radiums. So I'm looking solely for enhancement.

Thanks!

brvheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 08:13 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

How specifically are you trying to enhance the color?. A full spectrum bulb will render colors more accurately... Reds will look red,etc...

Unread 01/24/2019, 02:25 AM   #3
brvheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
How specifically are you trying to enhance the color?. A full spectrum bulb will render colors more accurately... Reds will look red,etc...
The Radiums feel plenty blue on their own for me, so the actinic T5's push things even further to the blue end. My goal would be to make T5 bulb selections that don't push the white/blue further. I prefer a more 15k look, but haven't ever found a MH bulb that did it for me in that range. So if I stick with the Radiums, I'm wondering whether there might be T5 choices that can shift toward 15k from the blue end I'm at now.

It might not be reasonable to ask that from fluorescents. So I suppose that's why I'm asking.

Unread 01/24/2019, 03:56 AM   #4
hottuna
Registered Member

UVL aquasun...great color rendition..

Unread 01/24/2019, 08:09 AM   #5
matt7116
Registered Member

I have the same awesome fixture and use M-80 ballasts for the Radiums. The following is the best T5 combo to enhance the Radiums that I have found. From front to back:

Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Actinic

The look is not too blue at all and does not over power the Radiums.

matt7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 11:21 AM   #6
brvheart
Registered Member

@matt7116 do your MH and T5 come on and off together? I'm curious what the T5 color looks like without the Radiums on. Is it still in the same 20k range?

I'm also running m80 ballasts on the Radium.

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:26 PM   #7
matt7116
Registered Member

I run the T5's before, during and after the Radiums. Here's my lighting schedule:

10am- Blue+(1st lamp) and Actinic (4th lamp) On

11am- Coral+(2nd lamp) and Blue+(3rd lamp) On

12:30pm- Radium (1st bulb) On

12:35pm- Radium (2nd bulb) On

12:45pm- Fans On

8:30pm- Radium (1st bulb) Off

8:35pm- Radium (2nd bulb) Off

8:45pm- Fans Off

9:00pm- Coral+(2nd lamp) and Blue+(3rd lamp) Off

10:00pm- Blue+(1st lamp) and Actinic (4th lamp) Off

I have tried just about every T5 combination and this is by far the best to my eyes. I do not like the dim, blue windex look. The T5's provide a nice, subdued look before and after the Radiums. Also, they add just enough enhancement to the halides to look great. Halides have that clarity and natural look that T5's alone cannot provide.

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:32 PM   #8
brvheart
Registered Member

Awesome - thanks for the detail!

Do you find that there is more color pop with the T5's running compared to the Radiums by themselves? Not sure if you've tried the Radiums alone (I know it's not in your lighting schedule)

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:53 PM   #9
matt7116
Registered Member

You're welcome! Glad to help.

It's close, but the T5's do provide some extra pop, brightness and fill in the shadow areas, ever so slightly. I prefer the T5's on with the Radiums for those reasons.