Unread 03/16/2015, 08:12 AM   #151
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedLFC View Post
Here's how I do it

http://youtu.be/5wjARZ2Qhf8
Very cool and thanks.
I am now feeding three times a day, and these anthias looks happy so far.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 11:20 AM   #152
AhmedLFC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Very cool and thanks.
I am now feeding three times a day, and these anthias looks happy so far.
great news

AhmedLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 07:07 PM   #153
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]
Now leave the question is.. Why only less than 30 days calcium(?) buildup dramatically!? I was using same balling method as my old tank run for 3 years. In last 6 months of old tank years, I did aware my Calcium(?) build up faster since I swap my baking soda, CaCL2, MgCL2 to different sources. Could that be the reason? I now using Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda from Costco, which many reefers recommended and use it as well. What could be the reason my Calcium(?) build up much faster? I have to solve the puzzle to avoid it happen again when I am out of town....

Any idea? Please chip in.....
Please compare the two calcium chloride brands. Is it possible that one is calcium chloride dihydrate and the other is calcium chloride anhydrous? They are of very different strength! Furthermore, have you changed the way you prepare your baking soda (e.g. baking it in the owen this time round, which you did not do before)?

I use Randy's DIY 2-part (recipe 2). When I used recipe 1 in the past, which required me to bake bicarbonate of soda in the owen, I had nothing but trouble, such as pumps' ceasing up due to calcification on impellers, which was a similar situation to yours.

Your problem is that you are dosing too much chemicals. They precipitate in the water column. The most obvious places where precipitation take place is hot surfaces, such as heaters or pump impellers.

By the way, you have a lovely tank. I have followed your old thread ands am doing the same with the new thread. Keep up the good work.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 03:56 AM   #154
Thermo
Registered Member

Great tank! Happy to see your build!

Thermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 10:46 AM   #155
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Please compare the two calcium chloride brands. Is it possible that one is calcium chloride dihydrate and the other is calcium chloride anhydrous? They are of very different strength! Furthermore, have you changed the way you prepare your baking soda (e.g. baking it in the owen this time round, which you did not do before)?

I use Randy's DIY 2-part (recipe 2). When I used recipe 1 in the past, which required me to bake bicarbonate of soda in the owen, I had nothing but trouble, such as pumps' ceasing up due to calcification on impellers, which was a similar situation to yours.

Your problem is that you are dosing too much chemicals. They precipitate in the water column. The most obvious places where precipitation take place is hot surfaces, such as heaters or pump impellers.

By the way, you have a lovely tank. I have followed your old thread ands am doing the same with the new thread. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I can't find Dowflake in Taiwan so far, but will keep looking. My second source of CaCL2 was from a friend and was in a plastic tank, I have no idea how good or bad it is. So, I am going to change back my original recipe but used cheaper baking soda, ARM & HAMMER, from Costco. Hope it help...

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/20/2015, 10:51 AM   #156
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Great tank! Happy to see your build!
Thanks. I saw your PM and replied just hours ago. You are welcome to give me a call so I can introduce some LFS to you near Hsinchu, Taiwan.

Have your heard that? 2nd phase of water rationing is coming and it hit Hsinchu as well. Hard to believe this really happen.
I blame myself as well.....I kind of delay my salt water mixing station project for too long. One major reason is I can’t find cheap Brute barrel in Taiwan, and FRP tank is just too expensive... till now....

After some search, I found these…. Used 120 Litter barrel (too bad I can’t find 200L one), cost US$ 8 only each. 8 dollars! What a good deal, so I bought four today and maybe never thinking back about FRP custom made storage anymore.

The guys who sold it told me these barrels contained chemistry powder in a plastic bag, so barrel itself should be very clean. Well anyway, I will wash and rinse them for a few days before I start to use them.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/20/2015, 11:00 AM   #157
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Thanks. I can't find Dowflake in Taiwan so far, but will keep looking. My second source of CaCL2 was from a friend and was in a plastic tank, I have no idea how good or bad it is. So, I am going to change back my original recipe but used cheaper baking soda, ARM & HAMMER, from Costco. Hope it help...
Can you get Fauna Marin salts over there? They are of good quality. If not, you can buy them from German online retailers. Pm me if you need their web address.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 09:42 PM   #158
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Can you get Fauna Marin salts over there? They are of good quality. If not, you can buy them from German online retailers. Pm me if you need their web address.
I do remember someone use FM slat in Taiwan. Let me check. I think last time I drop the idea of using it because of the price, but that was before I choose KZ salt... Let me check again.. Thanks for the reminder....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017

Last edited by shih87; 03/20/2015 at 10:00 PM.
Unread 03/20/2015, 09:51 PM   #159
shih87
Registered Member

It has been a while no big shipment of SPS coral arrive Taiwan market, I can only push the dealer working harder.....

Anyway, I got three smaller Indonesia SPS frags last night. No PE show up yet the first night, but may have potential....

BTW, not sure this is a good idea, but I just can't resist the scene of Anemone and clown fish, so there you go... I hope she won't mess up my tank too bad....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/20/2015, 10:02 PM   #160
nashorn
Registered Member

Quote:
It has been a while no big shipment of SPS coral arrive Taiwan market, I can only push the dealer working harder.....

Anyway, I got three smaller Indonesia SPS frags last night. No PE show up yet the first night, but may have potential....

BTW, not sure this is a good idea, but I just can't resist the scene of Anemone and clown fish, so there you go... I hope she won't mess up my tank too bad....

I like this one . Can't wait to see how it colors up.
How much does frags cost in Taiwan?

nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 06:29 AM   #161
Scotty freddy
Registered Member

Tank is looking awesome mate
When you put in the effort you get the rewards

Scotty freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 07:26 AM   #162
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

man, this tank definitely tops the last one. I can't believe you have a mobile app with monitors. amazing. You're an engineer, right?

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 09:35 PM   #163
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashorn View Post
I like this one . Can't wait to see how it colors up.
How much does frags cost in Taiwan?
Thanks. I still can't tell what it is. I think it is Acropora Rosaria, but not very sure. Maybe someone can help me here. I will post two days after photo soon.
These three frags cost about US$20 each. Could be much cheaper but now is not a good timing I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty freddy View Post
Tank is looking awesome mate
When you put in the effort you get the rewards
Thanks, I also start facing problem how to put the rest of coral after my H. Magnifica Anemone placed in tank. Any suggestion, please....

Currently, I stop my Tunze at night so I won't miss time to rescue her if sucked by Tunze. Anyway, she stay in same place for two days with/without Tunze turn on. So far so good now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDestroya View Post
man, this tank definitely tops the last one. I can't believe you have a mobile app with monitors. amazing. You're an engineer, right?
Yes, unfortunately,...I am a engineer... Hahaha
Home surveillance IP camera is quite popular in Taiwan and remote video App is just part of it. The only engineering work I did is cutting the big chunk power adapter off and replacing by a USB cable and interface for easy installation around my tank.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/21/2015, 09:36 PM   #164
shih87
Registered Member

So far... so good.....
I'll keep my fingers crossed

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/22/2015, 02:19 AM   #165
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Thanks for your PM reply.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you...I'd be so scared placing a nem in an sps tank... However it can be done.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2015, 07:47 AM   #166
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Thanks for your PM reply.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you...I'd be so scared placing a nem in an sps tank... However it can be done.
Hahaha... Except fingers crossed....I start to frag my SPS and distribute to friend places... Just in case one day come home and every thing gone....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/22/2015, 07:55 AM   #167
shih87
Registered Member

I almost forgot I still have a few SPS frags in friend’s place. (Thanks, Elton)

Yesterday I got them home. Some I even forget what they original look like color-wise and species....Anyway, reset to day 0, take some photos on day 1, and let’s see how they develop after….

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/22/2015, 12:51 PM   #168
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Will be interesting to see how colours develope on these.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2015, 07:18 PM   #169
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
I just wonder if reef raft has a distributor in Taipei. I believe most of their SPS are cultured so they should be available year round? I'd love to see what their sps would be like in your hands

Unread 03/23/2015, 02:48 AM   #170
samuelnan
Registered Member

Your system is very amazing, and all the installing like an artwork.
I have some question for the Apex controller.
1. Can Apex control 4 pcs of tunze 6055 without tunze multiple controler 7095? As i understand, the part VDM can instead of tunze7095, am i right? If i want to achieve this controling, what elso acceceries do i need?
2. Can Apex control both tunze and MP40/60 together? Is it easy to settle?
3. Do you plug in the chiller on the EB6 and used the Apex temp prob to control the chiller ON/OFF? OR, use another temp controler to switch your chiller. My chiller is also transform from air condition.

samuelnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 10:53 PM   #171
ryanerickson
Registered Member

Quote:
I just wonder if reef raft has a distributor in Taipei. I believe most of their SPS are cultured so they should be available year round? I'd love to see what their sps would be like in your hands
Think most reef raft originates from reef raft Asia then distributed to Canada and other places i would hope this tank can get some of there pieces. what a piece of work thanks for sharing. love your tank and appreciate what you put into it😃.

ryanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 07:48 AM   #172
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Will be interesting to see how colours develope on these.
Will do some comparison later.

Quote:
I don’t think so, but some reefers in Taiwan able to get ORA and RR from some channels that I can never understand how….

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelnan View Post
Your system is very amazing, and all the installing like an artwork.
I have some question for the Apex controller.
1. Can Apex control 4 pcs of tunze 6055 without tunze multiple controler 7095? As i understand, the part VDM can instead of tunze7095, am i right? If i want to achieve this controling, what elso acceceries do i need?
2. Can Apex control both tunze and MP40/60 together? Is it easy to settle?
3. Do you plug in the chiller on the EB6 and used the Apex temp prob to control the chiller ON/OFF? OR, use another temp controler to switch your chiller. My chiller is also transform from air condition.
Thanks.
For #1, my understanding is Tunze do have special Apex Y cable to plug in, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdunU-b29Aone VDM port for two Tunze units, so I would believe it is able to handle up to four. I never try it since I enjoy some 7096 feature that Apex not able to make easy way.
For #2, I heard some folks did, I don’t see why not, but I don’t know for sure.
For #3, I original plan is using EB6 for my chiller. However, once I found he chiller has a independent controller and alarm system, so I delay my plan. Will see if it is robust enough in summer time, then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanerickson View Post
Think most reef raft originates from reef raft Asia then distributed to Canada and other places i would hope this tank can get some of there pieces. what a piece of work thanks for sharing. love your tank and appreciate what you put into it😃.
Thanks. There are some small reefer group in Taiwan own many rare SPS colony and frag include ORA and RR. I did not chase rare SPS, but always get excited when received them.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/25/2015, 04:06 PM   #173
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
I don’t think so, but some reefers in Taiwan able to get ORA and RR from some channels that I can never understand how…..
If you are interested, I can get you in touch with RR canada. He has shipped corals to Taiwan and Korea I believe. I just don't know what paper work is needed but he may know.

Unread 03/28/2015, 12:39 AM   #174
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are interested, I can get you in touch with RR canada. He has shipped corals to Taiwan and Korea I believe. I just don't know what paper work is needed but he may know.
Thanks. I personally do not enjoy paper work, but a few of my friends may interested.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/28/2015, 12:44 AM   #175
shih87
Registered Member

I feel KZ-ing....
Hope light color does not equal to sick coral....

R二R TOTM Oct 2017

Last edited by shih87; 03/28/2015 at 12:53 AM.