Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2015, 12:35 PM   #1
james1x0
Registered Member

Duncan and yellow colony polyp

Does anyone know how long it takes for both of these corals to open up? And what are the small, translucent, finger/fan-like things on the side of my duncan that look like they are filter-feeding? Part of the duncan?

I got them in the tank Friday eve and the yellow colony polyp has only partially opened a few times. The duncan grew a bit outwards yesterday evening and it looked like it's almost about to be partially open. Neither have really opened yet.

I did two water changes yesterday thinking the nitrates were bothering them. I've squirted a tiny bit of mysis on both frags to possibly interest them, to some progress on the yellow colony, which partially opened (very slowly)

Water params are as follows:
NH3: ~0ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: When they went in: 10-15ppm, Now: ~5ppm
Alk 10 dKH
Ca 440ppm
Salinity 1.025-1.026
(No Copper, very very low phos)

My system is 125gal DT, 35gal sump.
I run carbon and poly filters.
2 x larger sicce powerheads (good flow)
2 x current USA reef led lighting

I've placed both corals in med-low flow and bottom range of my tank. Granted, the lights are still very strong. Have not noticed any necrosis. My first corals.

james1x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 04:39 PM   #2
james1x0
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 03/20/2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Do you have pics?

Tzwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2015, 09:55 PM   #4
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzwizzle View Post
Do you have pics?
Sorry, attached. Took these this morning. Looks like the Duncan is dying (all but one head) and polyps arent doing well either. Figured the best thing I can do is just keep the water params stable and hope they pull through.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2015032013856.jpg (32.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2015032029960.jpg (58.6 KB, 87 views)
Unread 03/22/2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Your params look fine but this is troubling considering these are your first corals. IMO something is not right. These are easy going corals and should open up after a day or so. You might double check your params with a lfs or second opinion, do a decent sized water change, check all your equipment for damage. A broken heater can release a lot of nasty toxins that can **** corals off. You can try partially shading the corals to see if your lights are too strong. Verify your salinity. If you are using a refractometer make sure it's calibrated properly.

Unread 03/22/2015, 11:46 AM   #6
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Your params look fine but this is troubling considering these are your first corals. IMO something is not right. These are easy going corals and should open up after a day or so. You might double check your params with a lfs or second opinion, do a decent sized water change, check all your equipment for damage. A broken heater can release a lot of nasty toxins that can **** corals off. You can try partially shading the corals to see if your lights are too strong. Verify your salinity. If you are using a refractometer make sure it's calibrated properly.
I thought so too. I have a fluval heater, so probably not that. Any snails I put in the tank do fine for 3 or 4 hours and then drop off the walls and die. Crabs and fish do fine. I thought this was due to the 15ppm nitrates, but you're starting to confirm my suspicion that its not that.

Unread 03/22/2015, 12:25 PM   #7
so_tatted
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1x0 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes for both of these corals to open up? And what are the small, translucent, finger/fan-like things on the side of my duncan that look like they are filter-feeding? Part of the duncan?

I got them in the tank Friday eve and the yellow colony polyp has only partially opened a few times. The duncan grew a bit outwards yesterday evening and it looked like it's almost about to be partially open. Neither have really opened yet.

I did two water changes yesterday thinking the nitrates were bothering them. I've squirted a tiny bit of mysis on both frags to possibly interest them, to some progress on the yellow colony, which partially opened (very slowly)

Water params are as follows:
NH3: ~0ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: When they went in: 10-15ppm, Now: ~5ppm
Alk 10 dKH
Ca 440ppm
Salinity 1.025-1.026
(No Copper, very very low phos)

My system is 125gal DT, 35gal sump.
I run carbon and poly filters.
2 x larger sicce powerheads (good flow)
2 x current USA reef led lighting

I've placed both corals in med-low flow and bottom range of my tank. Granted, the lights are still very strong. Have not noticed any necrosis. My first corals.
If these are your first corals, did you acclimate them after getting them? How did they arrive or did you pick them up at the LFS?

so_tatted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2015, 01:42 PM   #8
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_tatted View Post
If these are your first corals, did you acclimate them after getting them? How did they arrive or did you pick them up at the LFS?
I temp acclimated for about 45min. Crabs, snails are drip acclimated. I picked up from the LFS. Colony polyps were squirted with aiptasia x just to be safe because the LFS has had some aiptasia issues lately.

The only issue might be that their frag tanks are usually at 1.026-1.028 SG.

Unread 03/23/2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought so too. I have a fluval heater, so probably not that. Any snails I put in the tank do fine for 3 or 4 hours and then drop off the walls and die. Crabs and fish do fine. I thought this was due to the 15ppm nitrates, but you're starting to confirm my suspicion that its not that.
Eek. That's not good. Something is off. 15 nitrates is not crazy but not ideal. I would Def do some more water changes and double check your stuff. Snails should not be dying within a couple hours : /

Unread 03/23/2015, 07:22 PM   #10
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Eek. That's not good. Something is off. 15 nitrates is not crazy but not ideal. I would Def do some more water changes and double check your stuff. Snails should not be dying within a couple hours : /
Have any ideas?

Unread 03/24/2015, 04:55 AM   #11
RA
Registered Member

I'm thinking that they didn't like being squirted with Aiptasia X.

RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 06:14 AM   #12
dinger28
Registered Member

what is your ammonia?

dinger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 06:36 AM   #13
skiwez
Registered Member

I second that. they should not have been squirted with Aptasia-X. Only directly on aptasia, not as a general preventative

skiwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 06:42 AM   #14
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwez View Post
I second that. they should not have been squirted with Aptasia-X. Only directly on aptasia, not as a general preventative
Just the colony polyps. And they were not squirted themselves, just the underside that looked like a few small ones starting in. Ammonia is unreadably zero.

Unread 03/24/2015, 08:31 AM   #15
Wonton Soup
Registered Member

When you top off evaporated water are you using RO/DI or just tap water?

Ask your LFS or get online and order some "Poly-Filter". It works wonders at identifying any heavy metals or contaminants in your tank and it will capture any that it comes in contact with. If the foam filter pad turns any color but brown over the course of a week then you have some issues.
I typically just let a full piece float in my sump.

http://www.ocreef.com/poly-bio-marin..._inch_x_8_inch

Wonton Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 08:36 AM   #16
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton Soup View Post
When you top off evaporated water are you using RO/DI or just tap water?

Ask your LFS or get online and order some "Poly-Filter". It works wonders at identifying any heavy metals or contaminants in your tank and it will capture any that it comes in contact with. If the foam filter pad turns any color but brown over the course of a week then you have some issues.
I typically just let a full piece float in my sump.

http://www.ocreef.com/poly-bio-marin..._inch_x_8_inch
RO. Have never used tap. I'm already running two layers of poly filter in the sump, along with a bag of carbon. It's the color of the algae that's all over my tank. Brown-green. (These are not dinof., as they do not bubble and such)

Unread 03/25/2015, 06:36 PM   #17
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Quote:
Have any ideas?
I would double check your salinity. My refractometer was way off from the factory. You can double check with a hydrometer or take a water sample to the lfs.

Unread 03/25/2015, 06:56 PM   #18
james1x0
Registered Member

Quote:
I would double check your salinity. My refractometer was way off from the factory. You can double check with a hydrometer or take a water sample to the lfs.
My LFS calibrates with ro water. I trust my homemade 35ppt calibration fluid more. (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/) I think my LFS reads 0.02 high, because my hydrometer matches my refractometer within 0.005sg

Tags
corals closed, duncan, yellow colony polyps