Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2012, 08:31 AM   #1
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Culturing Tigger Pods

I need help..... I am trying to culture those Tigger Pods from Reef Nutrition and the other day I put in a bunch of Phyto-Feast maybe too much and when I went into the room there was a god awful smell coming from the water. Found several dead bristleworms in the water because I had put a few small live rocks in the water so they would populate on the rocks and then I could put those rocks into the DT.
Did I just put to much Phyto-Feast in there are was it because of the worms being dead?
They are not multiplying like I had hope for either I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Please can someone help this poor giril out with ADVISE....

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 09:39 AM   #2
kallan
Registered Member

I added the entire bottle of these tigger pods to my DT and another smaller tank I have set up. It's been a little over two weeks and I have not seen one of these active little buggers! The smaller tank has no fish in it at the moment, so I know they didn't get eaten.

I'll be watching your thread and will try another bottle if I see any results in my tanks. Keep us posted.

kallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 10:53 AM   #3
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams62 View Post
I need help..... I am trying to culture those Tigger Pods from Reef Nutrition and the other day I put in a bunch of Phyto-Feast maybe too much and when I went into the room there was a god awful smell coming from the water. Found several dead bristleworms in the water because I had put a few small live rocks in the water so they would populate on the rocks and then I could put those rocks into the DT.
Did I just put to much Phyto-Feast in there are was it because of the worms being dead?
They are not multiplying like I had hope for either I do not know what I am doing wrong.

I dumped a bottle of tiger pods into the refugium section of my 90 gallon's sump about a year ago and I still have an established population throught the entire system. I'll occassionally feed excess rotifers to the refugium but even without that sumplementation they seem to do alright on their own.

Unread 02/09/2012, 11:06 AM   #4
mwilliams62
Registered Member

I have several Pep Shrimps in my DT and I am trying to get a large population grown before putting them into my DT so I can eventually get a Mandarin down the road. I have put several bottles of both Tigger Pods & Reef pods in my DT but I cannot see them at all not even with a red flashlight at night. So I do not know if the shrimps are eating them or not I don't think the fish that I have would be eatting them.

Unread 02/09/2012, 01:45 PM   #5
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
I have several Pep Shrimps in my DT and I am trying to get a large population grown before putting them into my DT so I can eventually get a Mandarin down the road. I have put several bottles of both Tigger Pods & Reef pods in my DT but I cannot see them at all not even with a red flashlight at night. So I do not know if the shrimps are eating them or not I don't think the fish that I have would be eatting them.
Look in the holes of your live rock at night. I'm not talking a cave a fish could use, I'm talking about the pencil-sized pores on the rock itself. You might see little critters swimming back and forth in there. They are very easy to miss.

Unread 02/09/2012, 03:53 PM   #6
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Will try over the weekend if I can manage to stay up late....

Unread 02/09/2012, 05:17 PM   #7
WallysWorld
Registered Member

Put them in a ten gallon tank with lots of phyto, no pumps, air stones or anything else that moves water. Place tank near window or under regular fishtank light (no high output stuff. In a fee weeks your population will grow. Use a brine shrimp net after a few days in a figure 8 fashion and count your catch. Do this again a week later you should see count increase.

Tank should be room temp. The water should turn green were you can only see the pods at the surface.

Good luck!
Walter

Current Tank Info: 120 gal 4x2x2 Reef, 4 x 160W Kessil's, Refuge, Korallin Calcium Reactor, ASM G3 Skimmer and Refuge.
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 05:51 PM   #8
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
I need help..... I am trying to culture those Tigger-Pods from Reef Nutrition and the other day I put in a bunch of Phyto-Feast maybe too much and when I went into the room there was a god awful smell coming from the water. Found several dead bristleworms in the water because I had put a few small live rocks in the water so they would populate on the rocks and then I could put those rocks into the DT.

If your culture smelled that bad after putting the PF in, you put way too much in. It doesn't take much Phyto-Feast.

I would forgo putting live rock or any other substrate for them, they don't need it and the introduction of other pests that may prey upon them. The water in Tigger-Pods is RODI & Instant Ocean, nothing else. Its perfectly fine to dump into your aquarium.

Feel free to email us directly if you have questions on any of our products... techsupport@reedmariculture.com

Quote:
I have several Pep Shrimps in my DT and I am trying to get a large population grown before putting them into my DT so I can eventually get a Mandarin down the road. I have put several bottles of both Tigger-Pods & Reef pods in my DT but I cannot see them at all not even with a red flashlight at night. So I do not know if the shrimps are eating them or not I don't think the fish that I have would be eatting them.
Most likely your shrimps are feasting on them. If you have mysids or amphipods, they'll eat em as well.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 05:57 PM   #9
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Culturing Tigger Pods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreshamH View Post
If your culture smelled that bad after putting the PF in, you put way too much in. It doesn't take much Phyto-Feast.

I would forgo putting live rock or any other substrate for them, they don't need it and the introduction of other pests that may prey upon them. The water in Tigger-Pods is RODI & Instant Ocean, nothing else. Its perfectly fine to dump into your aquarium.

Feel free to email us directly if you have questions on any of our products... techsupport@reedmariculture.com

Most likely your shrimps are feasting on them. If you have mysids or amphipods, they'll eat em as well.

Unread 02/09/2012, 06:21 PM   #10
GreshamH
Registered Member

I think your post may have been eaten... its just a quote of what I said?

Unread 02/09/2012, 06:35 PM   #11
kallan
Registered Member

Great.....these tigger pods have become an expensive snack for my copepods! I even remove the mini stars from the refugium at times so they don't capture my copepods. I'm still hoping to see a few tigger pods in my small tank. I hope you're wrong Gresham, but it kinda makes sense to me that they would be a delicacy.

Unread 02/09/2012, 06:45 PM   #12
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Culturing Tigger Pods

Quote:
I think your post may have been eaten... its just a quote of what I said?

Unread 02/09/2012, 07:26 PM   #13
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
If you actually are looking for assistance, you've got our email.

Unread 02/09/2012, 07:29 PM   #14
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallan View Post
Great.....these tigger pods have become an expensive snack for my copepods! I even remove the mini stars from the refugium at times so they don't capture my copepods. I'm still hoping to see a few tigger pods in my small tank. I hope you're wrong Gresham, but it kinda makes sense to me that they would be a delicacy.
Tigger-Pods are the largest copepod you be able to find to stock you tajnk with. I doubt other copepod species will eat them.

Mini brittles shouldn't be any issue with them, they prefer algal sources for the most part.

Are you feeding the small tank? A little phytoplankton (diatoms work best IMO) and some crushed up flake food is all you really need.

Unread 02/09/2012, 08:50 PM   #15
kallan
Registered Member

I've actually seen the mini brittles grab the amphipods and copepods. They sit on top of chaeto and wait for them. I guess I am thinking amphipods are the ones dining on the tigger pods. The tigger pods are so active that I'm wondering if they could actually catch them.

I do feed a drop of phytoplex about three times a week. It's a 22 gallon CADlights tank that will house my multicolor angel. The coral beauty has a deathwish out for her. I was able to catch the multicolor, but not the coral beauty. The multi will be the only fish, I believe, unless I decide to add a wrasse or tiny yellow clown goby. Maybe I'll set up a 10 gallon and try and culture the tigger pods when I get some more.

Unread 02/10/2012, 07:44 AM   #16
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Culturing Tigger Pods

Hi GreshamH thanks the info below I was trying to reply via my cell phone last night and I do not know what happened it did it to me twice.
Then I tried to send you an email with the email address you have listed and it to came back as undeliverable.

But will try to send email to you here from my work.

Quote:

Unread 02/10/2012, 08:34 AM   #17
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Culturing Tigger Pods

Quote:
Hi GreshamH,
I cannot get a email to go through the email address that you have in this post. I even tried through Yahoo and got one back saying that this email address is restricted.
This is the error message I keep getting:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Culturing Tigger Pods
Sent: 2/10/2012 8:27 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

techsupport@reedmariculture.com on 2/10/2012 8:27 AM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.

Unread 02/10/2012, 09:27 AM   #18
007Bond
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallysWorld View Post
Put them in a ten gallon tank with lots of phyto, no pumps, air stones or anything else that moves water. Place tank near window or under regular fishtank light (no high output stuff. In a fee weeks your population will grow. Use a brine shrimp net after a few days in a figure 8 fashion and count your catch. Do this again a week later you should see count increase.

Tank should be room temp. The water should turn green were you can only see the pods at the surface.

Good luck!
Walter
GreshamH,
Is this the way you would propagate a pod population?
Thanks---Rick

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2012, 04:16 PM   #19
mwilliams62
Registered Member

GreshamH how much water do you put in the ten gallon tank?

Unread 02/10/2012, 04:18 PM   #20
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi GreshamH,
I cannot get a email to go through the email address that you have in this post. I even tried through Yahoo and got one back saying that this email address is restricted.
This is the error message I keep getting:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Culturing Tigger Pods
Sent: 2/10/2012 8:27 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

techsupport@reedmariculture.com on 2/10/2012 8:27 AM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
Huh... very odd

TechSupport@reedmariculture.com is the correct email, I will have our IT guy look into it.

My phone does odd stuff on forums as well, I totally understand that one

Unread 02/10/2012, 04:21 PM   #21
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
GreshamH,
Is this the way you would propagate a pod population?
Thanks---Rick
That method would be perfectly fine, although, I would skip the counting of them. You can knock the eggs off them, or is it the stress makes them drop them (I forget, but I will ask out Tech).

I prefer using dark colored plastic kitty little pans as they have a greater surface area that makes for better O2 diffusion.

Unread 02/12/2012, 08:43 AM   #22
mwilliams62
Registered Member

bump

Unread 02/14/2012, 03:22 PM   #23
alaska clowns
Registered Member

Very informative! I've been planning to order the Tigger Pods - I'm glad I found this thread first. Just to reinforce in my mind.... it sounds like I don't need to put any kind of air bubbling in my culture vessel as I do for rotifers? Just a vessel (I like the kitty litter pan idea) near light to keep the phyto reproducing for the pods? Thank you!

alaska clowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2012, 03:40 PM   #24
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Nope no need for air supply, kitty litter pan, window light. When I go to the container that I have mine in they are at the top along the sides but not multiplying as much as I was hoping for but I am guessing it takes time before you see large results????

Unread 02/14/2012, 04:00 PM   #25
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
bump
Sorry, very busy around here right now. I will finish my replies tomorrow once my plate is a little more clear.