Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2020, 04:13 PM   #101
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/akzbXAdeKjjBxD5k9
A view from the end of the tank while sitting on the loveseat.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2020, 09:22 AM   #102
neilp2006
Registered Member

Nice pics.

Sorry about your clam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2020, 09:25 AM   #103
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great pics Dawn! I like the loveseat view. I don't recall seeing it from that angle before. How's the fish community doing? Everyone still getting along?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 03:46 AM   #104
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp2006 View Post
Nice pics.

Sorry about your clam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah, I was really sad about the clam and it happened really fast. I have 2 scallops in the tank and they are fine so I am not really sure what happened.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 08/01/2020, 03:58 AM   #105
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Great pics Dawn! I like the loveseat view. I don't recall seeing it from that angle before. How's the fish community doing? Everyone still getting along?
Thanks Michael. I have taken pics from the loveseat before but I did change the rockwork a little on the left side of the tank which makes it look different.

The fish community are doing fine with everyone getting along well. I did lose Linus a while back and not sure if he was bullied to death by Marmalade or if he just died for other reasons. I will not get any more combtooth Blennies while I have Marmalade. He never shows aggression toward any other fish.

I also lost Samson so that was sad. The bump on his tail had gotten quite large and no doubt was the cause. I definitely enjoyed my 5 years with keeping seahorses. They are marvelous creatures.

The tank system is running great and now is extremely low maintenance. The fuge seems well established at this point and does the heavy lifting of the bulk of the nutrient export.

Unread 08/01/2020, 06:55 AM   #106
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Samson died?? That was unexpected.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 06:06 PM   #107
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Samson died?? That was unexpected.

Yes, he had that bump on his tail for about a year. Usually any bumps or air bubbles under the skin indicate an imbalance in their system so so knew it was only a matter of time.

Unread 08/27/2020, 04:14 PM   #108
vlangel
Registered Member

I did a quick clean today and decided to take a FTS.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vr9Po1TMZg5X7Jd36
Also as I cleaned the glass on my 30 gallon basement fuge I saw that a barnacle blenny ended up down there. Poor guy went through the holes in the standpipe, ha ha! I guess that is his new home as I will never catch him. There are lots of pods, shrimp larvae plus some frozen mysis will end up down there too.

Last edited by vlangel; 08/27/2020 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 08/28/2020, 06:36 AM   #109
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks good! It sounds like the barnacle blenny is in a good place to be!

Unread 08/28/2020, 01:38 PM   #110
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks good! It sounds like the barnacle blenny is in a good place to be!
I feel like I should get some more barnacle blennies so that both the remaining one in the display tank and the one now living in the basement fuge will have a friend or 2.

Unread 08/28/2020, 01:52 PM   #111
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I agree. They really like to be with each other.

Unread 09/02/2020, 11:26 AM   #112
vlangel
Registered Member

Today I am working on some maintenance stuff that does not need done every week but has actually become long overdue, ha ha! (That never happens to the rest of you folks, right?). My gyre was making an annoying sing song hum which is what started this endeavor. After I got the gyre figured out I decided that the T5HO bulbs should be changed,(especially since I could not remember when I last did that!). Uhhg! I only changed 1 actinic and 1 10k and I hope the coral do not go into shock from the new intensity. I think I will temporarily reduce the length of time the bulbs are on. That should have a positive effect on the color of my coral, as well as reduce or completely eliminate the little bit of red algae I get on the sandbed.

Another thing I did was get out my 2 part. When I had the seahorses I did water changes every week but I am not doing as many WCs now. Also I had switched back to IO from reef Crystal's so my guess is that my magnesium and alkalinity are probably low and maybe my calcium too. I should check parameters today to see exactly where stuff is. I think I will adjust the water I make in the brute can so that I am not making big changes in the tank. I still do WCs about every other week so that should help keep things fairly in check.

Enough nutrients seems to be somewhat of a problem. My macro algae in the fuge are growing like crazy and I suspect they are sucking up a huge amount of nutrients. I have an automatic feeder on the tank dispensing flake and pellets 2Xs a day plus I feed a cube of frozen once a day. That is a lot of food and yet the tank has very little nuisance algae. I hope to add quite a few more fish here in the next month which is the most fun way to increase nutrients! Wink wink! I am thinking a small goby/pistol shrimp pair if I can find one, a handful of barnacle blennies and at least 3 yellow tail damsels. A kole tang is not out of the question either if I can find one.

Lastly I would like to acquire some GPS once I get the nutrients up a bit. I have had GSP on the sand bed (where it can be controlled) in the past and it's beautiful when it waves in the flow. The green color will enhance the tank and it's a coral that should thrive in my tank conditions. So there you have it, present and future happenings to the natural high nutrient tank.

Unread 09/02/2020, 12:57 PM   #113
vlangel
Registered Member

So I checked my parameters and was pleasantly surprised in a lot of areas. I had dumped in a capful of magnesium, 2 part calcium and alk prior to testing. Anyway mag was 1450, a bit high, calcium was 450 also a bit high and alk was 9.5 which is ok but higher than I usually run. Nitrates were 5rpm so well controlled but present so that was good. Once my water is made I will do a WC with no adjustments to the IO which typically is low in everything so after a few WCs the parameters should come down to closer to NSW which is where I try to land. Nonetheless, the tank has run pretty stable considering how easy it is to maintain and how little that I do adjustments.

Unread 09/02/2020, 01:00 PM   #114
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ugh. This reminds me of all the work I need to do. Good for you! I'm still low on inspiration these days, but I know I've got stuff to do, so I'll gradually build up some gumption.

Good update. I'd love to see a pic (or two) of the fuge.

Unread 09/02/2020, 03:04 PM   #115
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Ugh. This reminds me of all the work I need to do. Good for you! I'm still low on inspiration these days, but I know I've got stuff to do, so I'll gradually build up some gumption.

Good update. I'd love to see a pic (or two) of the fuge.
Sorry to heap guilt on ya Michael, none of us needs that! Your tank always looks nice so you must be doing what is necessary. Here is a very short video of the fuge with ghost shrimp. The lighting is poor and the fish room is tiny and hard to get good pics.

https://youtu.be/diUQLcdKAqg

Unread 09/02/2020, 03:14 PM   #116
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, that looks great! So cool and natural looking. Thanks for posting!

Unread 09/02/2020, 06:50 PM   #117
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I looked at prior videos from the beginning of March and then in May and the fuge has matured very nicely. I am really happy with how effectively it is keeping nutrients down. Along with adding more water volume to the system and being a possible space for a bully fish, it has more than fulfilled my desires for it. Being gravity fed and then its overflow into the sump, it does not consume any more energy than the 20 gallon sump would alone. And it doesn't look too bad considering that its function is primarily utilitarian.

Unread 09/15/2020, 06:12 PM   #118
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Who knew that aquarium keeping could be made easier by just adding plants? And isn't it bizarre these living filters are beautiful and worthy of display? Nicely done.

Unread 09/23/2020, 12:13 PM   #119
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I sent you a package!

Unread 09/23/2020, 12:36 PM   #120
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Niiiice! Seagrass time!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 10:59 AM   #121
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I sent you a package!
O boy O boy, I can't wait! I was in Nashville all last week helping with my baby granddaughter, Daisy. I had not been on RC for a couple of weeks as I did a lot of cooking for my hubby who was batcheloring it, plus I took food down to the kids too.

My tank looked pretty dirty when I got home but Dave took good care feeding it and keeping the sump topped off. Yesterday I did a WC and cleaned the glass plus removed some caulerpa. Everything looks real good now that the glass has been cleaned. It was all just film algae on the glass, everything else is clean.

Unread 09/24/2020, 11:05 AM   #122
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry about the late heads-up. Glad to hear you'll be around, Mrs. Popular! Best of luck with them!

Unread 09/24/2020, 04:10 PM   #123
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry about the late heads-up. Glad to hear you'll be around, Mrs. Popular! Best of luck with them!
No problem and I am glad I am home now too. I am sure that I could have talked Dave through it. I am not sure the trip speaks to my popularity as much as my offer to babysit and cook for free. That gets the attention of busy millennials, ha ha!

Unread 09/24/2020, 04:28 PM   #124
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/1Is_qI_UB8A

Another quick and dirty video.

Unread 09/25/2020, 09:37 AM   #125
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks good. You appear to have a peaceful community of fish in there. That's got to be fun to watch! It's a delicate balance to get that. Fish, corals and plants all looking well!