Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2014, 12:32 AM   #1
tallguy88
Registered Member

Exclamation Possible Ich

I just got a Valintini Puffer Two days ago and this morning started showing signs of what I think is ich now this evening he looks worse. Below is a picture. I have a bottle of cupramine will this cute him and if so how do I do it? Picture attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.3 KB, 31 views)
tallguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Read this...http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2159738
I don't know how copper sensitive puffers are so you may want to do a search.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:18 AM   #3
bchap05
Registered Member

I think my foxface has ick as well I haven't started treatment yet.

I spent like 2 hours studying it yesterday. It's insane how many different opinions there are. So you kind of have to form your own or decide who's idea is the best.

The one I decided on and seems to be the idea of the more experienced hobbists is to remove the fish and quarantine or tank transfer. Then once again you have a million opinions on which method to use, and when to add the fish back into the tank. The safe bet sounds like 10-12 weeks but you see people adding fish back in a month and not having issues. Depends on if you want 100% no ich or want to gamble.

bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:25 AM   #4
panagiotisath
Registered Member

I do not know about the transfers to aid you cause i never had the luxury of having two tanks but as ich concerns the only medicine i had seen results is copper.All others i had tried during the years didn't do anything. Higher temperature to speed the cycle of ich copper and maybe some garlic in the food to boost the immune .I wish you good luck.

panagiotisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:39 AM   #5
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Good pic, a textbook example of SW ich.
It looks like this fish is in a QT and was never in your DT, right? If so, I think tank-transfer is the safest way to treat. Brute containers also can be used if you don't have tanks. Read Snorvich's sticky.Raising temps does nothing to speed the cure; that may be the case for FW ich, SW ich is a totally different critter. Garlic does absolutely nothing, except give the owner false hopes. Long term use of garlic has proven to be harmful.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap05 View Post
I think my foxface has ick as well I haven't started treatment yet.

I spent like 2 hours studying it yesterday. It's insane how many different opinions there are. So you kind of have to form your own or decide who's idea is the best.

The one I decided on and seems to be the idea of the more experienced hobbists is to remove the fish and quarantine or tank transfer. Then once again you have a million opinions on which method to use, and when to add the fish back into the tank. The safe bet sounds like 10-12 weeks but you see people adding fish back in a month and not having issues. Depends on if you want 100% no ich or want to gamble.
You are correct that there are a lot of opinions about Crypto. Instead of relying on opinions, I find it's better to understand the facts about the organism, its life cycle and proven treatment options. These can be found in snorvich's sticky posts at the top of this forum. I also have the following article bookmarked, as it pretty much covers everything you need to know about the disease: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:58 AM   #7
tallguy88
Registered Member

Thank you for everyone's advice. I think I will try 8 weeks with Cupramine and see how it goes!

This is the second fish I have used in my QT tank my first 3 fish I put straight in the DT tank being new and stupid. After having a clown die from what appeared of that lock jaw thing and not eating I decided I'm not going to take any chances. So glad I started using this QT it definatly saved me and will I always use from now on! Now I see why everyone on here stresses QT ALL new fish I agree completely after only being in this hobby since January.

tallguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 03:45 PM   #8
tallguy88
Registered Member

Poor little guy didn't make it. After a day of Cupramine the white dots disappeared. He was eating good and I followed the directions with a second dose of Cupramine to get it to the specified copper level. He lasted about 4 days and was gone. Dunno what happened, only thing I can think is the copper was to much for him he stopped eating. I read online puffers are sensitive to copper.