Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2006, 02:43 PM   #1
theroon
Premium Member

Setting up 180 gal reef tank!!!

Setting up 180 gal reef tank!!!

I am setting up an 180gal Reef tank and thought it would be nice to share some of the progress. The location of the tank is on the stair landing. I purchased some cabinets that match my kitchen and had a carpenter install cabinets. So far I have the:

Tank Oceanic 180gal 72x24x24
Skimmer – Deltec AP851
Calcium Reactor – GEO 1

The guys from Aquaterrium are setting up the sump, lights, water filter, and refugium. They have been very helpful and I appreciate their help!

The mess....

Progress with the cabinet.

I am located all the equipment in a utility room. We had to drill a hole for the returns/drain.

The cabinet installed. Now we have to install the tank!!! The Oceanic is VERY heavy so it is going to be a challenge installing it on the cabinets downstairs.

The Oceanic 180p gallon tank. 72"x24"x24". Also Sand.

Another picture of the tank. I painted the back of the tank dark blue. The tank has the Mega flow system which you see on top.

The utility room will have all the filtration equipment.

The sump will be located on the bottom shelf.

Deltec Skimmer!!!! Can't wait to see how much poop it catches. The skimmer is located next to the drain!!! I will have all the waist go in the drain.

theroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2006, 02:58 PM   #2
theroon
Premium Member

Smile

Looking forward to getting frags from CTARS

Unread 04/25/2006, 03:46 PM   #3
hans1976
Registered Member

Lookin' good !!! What are you going to use for circulation in the tank? Tunze's, Vortechs, Seo's?

A couple of things to keep in mind. You are going to use a bit of top off water - I use 3 gallons a day. You should think about having a vent in back of the tank and one in the equipment room.

hans1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2006, 03:48 PM   #4
N-A-S-O
Registered Member

looks like your off to a good start...keep us up to date..I'll be tagging along

Current Tank Info: 110g sps
N-A-S-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2006, 05:18 PM   #5
theroon
Premium Member

hans1976,

Not sure what I am going to use for circulation. It sounds like Tunze is the best but very costly! Any recommendations? I was thinking about the Tunze 6000 or 6100.

Ventilation may be a problem. At least I hope not. The tank area is in an open area, cathedral ceilings. The back of the tank is poured concrete wall so I can't vent to the outside. I am more worried about the utility room. It will not be easy to vent the area, but if it is a problem then I will find a way. Immediate thought is to set up a dehumidifier there.

Unread 04/25/2006, 05:39 PM   #6
hans1976
Registered Member

I am using a pair of 6000's with a 7095 controller. So far I am very happy with them. I put them in the deco rocks, but I am thinking of changing those over to magnets - the rocks take up a lot of room.

I have my tank in my basement and a seperate equipment room. When the halides kick in, the whole basement smells like seaweed. I need to do something about that.

Unread 04/25/2006, 05:52 PM   #7
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

i build custom stairs for a living. and to see someone use that space for a reef is very cool to see!!!! i cant wait to see some more pic's. i'll also be taging along for this build. so far it looks like your on the right track. keep us posted!

Current Tank Info: 2 gallon goldfish bowl with a happy 7" Naso tang and 2 small Beluga whales. Just added a baby dolphin, large Trigger, a herd of Sea Horses and just fragged my first Manatee. All fish safely hand caught using organic cyanide.
PL-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2006, 07:01 PM   #8
kroe
Premium Member

Looks like you'll be spending a whole lot of time on the stairs... your house looks beautiful.

kroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2006, 03:26 AM   #9
theroon
Premium Member

I am researching what type of circulation to use... Any recommendations between 6000 versus 6001 with the 7095 controller. This is an 180 gallon tank with sugar size sand. Would 6001 be to powerful?

Unread 04/28/2006, 01:46 AM   #10
sledger
Registered Member

theroon,

I have an Oceanic 175 bowfront amd like Hans i have the Tunze 6000's w/7095 controller and magnets. I have a 6" DSB and run pumps oscilating 30 - 100%. DSB stays much cleaner now and no sand storms.

sledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2006, 06:31 PM   #11
theroon
Premium Member

Whew… One step closer to reef tank reality! The guys from Aquaterrium came down at 7:30 pm and installed the tank on the cabinet. Plumbing is next...

I was going to purchase a 72" Aquamedic HQI + T5 light fixture, but I heard that they are out of stock. 3 to 4 week back order. Any recommendations?

Unread 05/03/2006, 06:45 PM   #12
mr pink floyd
Moved On

id do an aqualight pro

the LFS near my house, puppy center has them on all their reef tanks, except for 2, which are pendants, but they are all coralife!

mr pink floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 02:19 AM   #13
sledger
Registered Member

check out Aquatinics for lights. Tom is a great guy and he is located in North Haven. I'm picking up my 6' T5 lights this Monday. The MH/T5 fixtures produce no heat. Good luck withnew tank.

sledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 06:42 AM   #14
hans1976
Registered Member

Steve,
Are those the lights you ordered back last fall?

Unread 05/06/2006, 06:57 AM   #15
JonTarutis
Registered Member

You want a hanging fixture? How about the SLS Maristar? Tom makes some nice fixtures but I'm not fond of the finish. Are you going to be putting a cabinet above the tank?
Jon

JonTarutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2006, 07:46 AM   #16
theroon
Premium Member

I ended up purchasing the Aquamedic despite the delivery time. I am hoping to get them soon! I will be hanging the lights above the tank with the supplied aircraft wire.

Yes, I am planning on fabricating a cabinet as the last step. I will also add a frame around the tank to give a custom look. I will figure out later how this will be done.

The fish guys (Aquaterrium) received the 40g refugium, sump, and tank (RO/DI). We are ready to plumb the tank!!!

Unread 05/27/2006, 07:51 AM   #17
JonTarutis
Registered Member

Just a little tidbit of advice once you get the lights.... put a piece of foam along side one side the Oceanlight ballast and wedge the ballast up against this... there is a weird hum (fan) that comes from the ballast box and it will drive you nuts! Kinda hard to explain how to cure it but I have found this to be the best/easiest way aside from opening the ballast!
Good luck with the plumbing!
Jon

Unread 05/27/2006, 11:02 AM   #18
theroon
Premium Member

Yes, I know what you are talking about. The ballasts have magnetic transformers so they have a hum too them. You can purchase electronic transformers which are quiet and compact. I have some smart lighting in my home and electronic transformers will feed noise in the main electrical line. If you are using x-10 technology they may miss fire based upon the noise feedback that electronic transformers give. Magnetic transformers are recommended…

Once I receive the transformers, if they are too load I will have to relocate them in the basement or the base cabinet.

Unread 05/27/2006, 11:12 AM   #19
JonTarutis
Registered Member

It's not the transformer that is making the noise. It is the resonance of the ballast box. IIRC its the fan vibrating. Almost sounds like there is a loose screw in there....

Unread 05/27/2006, 11:29 AM   #20
theroon
Premium Member

I have three more items to show CTARS... The RODI is mounted on the wall. The black container is the RODI water container. The Plastic Cube is the sump and the refugium is the AGA 40 gallon tank on the shelf.

Unread 05/27/2006, 04:01 PM   #21
INKMAN
Registered Member

Hope you don't need to that hot water heater out soon.

Peace,
INKMAN

INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2006, 06:15 PM   #22
theroon
Premium Member

Funny thing is I may relocate the water heater later this summer. I am planning to place the boiler in a different location in the basement. I will see what the cost is then decide. It would be nice to have that space for the RODI tank. I have a drain next to the water heater so I will have the waste for the skimmer and RODI plumbed to it.

Unread 05/30/2006, 08:34 AM   #23
theroon
Premium Member

I made a diagram of the Reef Tank system. I was wondering if I am on the right direction or am I missing something.

Unread 05/30/2006, 08:40 AM   #24
theroon
Premium Member

I made a change with the Refugium...

Unread 07/14/2006, 04:42 PM   #25
theroon
Premium Member

Whew... Still working on the tank and I am getting closer!!! Yea!

I just placed 200 lbs of live rock. I will be Aquascaping later. I am still not sure if I need more rock but I am very excited that this date has finaly come!!!

I did a quick test of the water parameters and my ammonia is 0, Nitrite is .25, and Nitrate is 10ppm, Ph is 8.

I placed CaribSea Arag-Alive substrate three weeks ago and three black mollies (refugium) to start the cycle process.

The tank is 81 degrees without the lights installed. I recently purchase a 1/2 hp air conditioner and it should be delivered a couple weeks from now. I am debating where to install the air conditioner. In the fish room (utility room) or outside.

100lbs Live rock form Indonesia:

100 lbs live Rock from Marshal Islands

Deltec skimmer in action. I placed the RO/DI water line in the cup to keep it clean. I have the skimate waste go directly to a drain.

The sump:

The Refugium: