Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2017, 03:38 AM   #926
Wally.B
Registered Member

TANK MOVE (COMPLETED)

Just finished the Tank Transfer.

Frag Rack didn't fit so had to mount all Corals.

Exhausted but done

Will post a photo tomorrow. Tank with mounted Frags looks Great!!

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:15 AM   #927
Wally.B
Registered Member

NEW (OLD TANK) Day 1

Lots of work left Post Move, but hardest part is done.

Unread 12/09/2017, 02:55 PM   #928
Wally.B
Registered Member

TEMP TANK (MH Lights ON)

Small micro bubble problem. Skimmer is going nut using all the Epoxy Putty to mount Frags.

I was rushed so Missed a patch of Slime Algae. No big deal this is for month or two till new Tank is setup.

Gyre's are soaking in Vinegar, then I work on some more Circulation.

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:57 PM   #929
Wally.B
Registered Member

TANK MOVE FINISHED (Circulation) Time to move on to Sump Room Work

It's done. Got Circuilation pumps in (CP-40 & CP-25) Plus the Sea Swirl via DC Waveline Return Pump (Tried the Original Pointy Sea Swirl Nozzle, vs the Flat one. Better push and reach).
Plenty of Random Flow. Semi-Strong Flow.
Will leave Maxspect XF150 for other Tank.

No Automation except (Dosing and Lighting) Apex for PH & TEMP.

Now the Really Big Project Starts. Sump Room Reno (Electrical, Wall Work, etc)

Unread 12/09/2017, 08:30 PM   #930
Wally.B
Registered Member

Sneak Peak at (Future Tank with Side View, ConerSumpRoom-Wall Exposed)

Having a Front view in Office for years was pretty good (Even with this 65 Gallon Tank)

But the new Corner Exposed, with deeper Tank will certainly be different.

I can't imagine what 24" depth will be like.

Unread 12/10/2017, 02:56 AM   #931
Rakie
In Memoriam

I'm happy you found what was most likely your big issue! This thread shows me if that was your main issue, you shouldn't have any trouble with SPS from here out.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 02:51 PM   #932
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
I'm happy you found what was most likely your big issue! This thread shows me if that was your main issue, you shouldn't have any trouble with SPS from here out.
Rakie, I hope you are right (Dishwasher Drain Water isn't SPS friendly for New Salt Water Making). RO Reservoir now shows 0 TDS.
Time will tell, but so far so good.

Unread 12/10/2017, 09:31 PM   #933
Wally.B
Registered Member

This thread is ended

Not much to show anymore with respect to this STAGING /TEMP tank.

I'll be starting a new Thread and Will post link here. (Shortly)

Many thanks to all those folks who dropped by.

The Basement Flood has given me an new Opportunity (push) to get a new Tank.

Special thanks to Matt, ED and Sensei, your Wisdom and Encouragement got me this far.

I've learned so much and feel highly confident things will go well with the new setup.

Greatest part of this ending is I discovered that Contamination Leak. I always knew THIS TANK WAS CURSED.

The Curse HopeFully ends on on the Leak Discovery, but there we many other Mini-Curse events.

Till Next time.....Good Bye

Wally B

Unread 12/12/2017, 02:38 AM   #934
Rakie
In Memoriam

I found the thread just in time haha. It's always fun watching new builds anyways. This next iteration will be more in line with your goals i'm guessing.

Unread 12/12/2017, 05:00 PM   #935
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I found the thread just in time haha. It's always fun watching new builds anyways. This next iteration will be more in line with your goals i'm guessing.
Haha. Just in time for possibly a Fairy Tale Ending or Start.

You missed all the Gory scenes.

The new Thread is brewing, but no point showing me ripping things apart which is what I'm doing now with the SUMP room.

I did do one thing SPECIAL with the NEW TANK LOCATION (A VIDEO).
Since I can get to all sides, I got out my Underwater Scuba/Snorkel Camera and shot the Temp Tank from Underneath the surface.

Cool sounds picked up.

CREATED A MINI THREAD till the NEW Thread is started (Link to Thread right here)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2661024

Unread 12/23/2017, 04:34 PM   #936
Wally.B
Registered Member

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ( Temp Tank Photo Update / New Build Soon)

Not ready to start New Build Thread, so doing a quick post here.

The Temp Tank is just sitting there. I will be starting Sump Room Gutting work over Holiday break.

Doing very little maintenance. (Just watching ALK/Calcium Parameters)
Some algae building up (so go an few extra Snails and an Emerald Crab. That helped a bit)

Frags doing ok. Not Great, not bad.

Getting ready for Boxing Day Aquarium Specials to top up supplies and maybe a few things for New Tank.

Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday, and if I don't start the New Thread before 2018, a Happy New Year too.

Unread 12/23/2017, 06:17 PM   #937
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Frags doing ok. Not Great, not bad.
Not bad is great

Unread 12/23/2017, 07:05 PM   #938
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Not bad is great
Rakie....Yes, you are DEAD ON right. No BAD HISTORY lingering around. (No frags bleaching due to Dishwasher Soapy water). That is great!

Thought I'd pass this on.
Family (kids,wife) never know what to buy me for Christmas, so I always choose my own gift.

My RO system is about 15 year old. Still works.
But I'm due for a RO membrane, 3 Cartridge Filters, and my Kitchen "RO Tank" is so old (it will rupture soon, and probably slimy too).

This Christmas deal came along in my email last night (From a really good RO manufacturer in my area few minutes away. They sell Online WorldWide too).

https://www.maxwaterflow.com/HOLIDAY-SPECIAL-5-stage-Reverse-Osmosis-System-7-Water-Filters-_p_1172.html?

Darn good price.

Planning to put this in and maybe split up two systems, (one for Tanks, and one for house drinking water). My current RO setups split at T-Connector for both.

Just the cost of Membrane, 1 Set of filters, and tank comes pretty close. (But in this DEAL I get everything replaced. 3 Set of Cartridges included)

Perfect Christmas Gift for me!!

Rakie, have a Safe and Happy Holiday.
Till next time.
Wally

Unread 12/23/2017, 10:56 PM   #939
Rakie
In Memoriam

Sounds good. Feel free to start your new thread, even if it's just plans.

i'm trying my best to hold back.. But a friend offered me a 36x20x20 with stand and sump that I'm very foolishly considering -_-

Anyways, have a great holiday vacation with the fish tank. And the family too, I guess.

Last edited by Rakie; 12/23/2017 at 11:11 PM.
Unread 12/24/2017, 11:44 AM   #940
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds good. Feel free to start your new thread, even if it's just plans.

i'm trying my best to hold back.. But a friend offered me a 36x20x20 with stand and sump that I'm very foolishly considering -_-

Anyways, have a great holiday vacation with the fish tank. And the family too, I guess.
If you have the storage room grab the 36x20x20. You can always start that project when you are ready. (Upgrade to 2nd tank )

I will start a pre-build thread, then follow up with a build thread, and when dust settles and water cycles, etc, Start the Final Tank Thread.

Stay tuned....coming soon.

Unread 12/26/2017, 05:17 AM   #941
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yea I think I'm going to grab that tank and shove it in the closet for a few months... SOunds like a terrible idea lol.

Unread 12/26/2017, 10:34 AM   #942
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea I think I'm going to grab that tank and shove it in the closet for a few months... SOunds like a terrible idea lol.
I don't think it's a terrible idea.
You can daydream about the future build for months.
It takes time to make a good plan and vision.

I don't have that luxury.

My OLD tank is sitting on Stilts.

New Tank will arrive in about a month.

And I have to tackle this mess for the new build (since Tank is out now)

-> Need to Gut walls for new Larger Corner Opening
-> Waterproof the Sump room (mistake I didn't do properly 15 years ago)

-> Build a Stand
-> Redo all wiring and controllers (out of way of side Wall)

And a ton more that I'm starting to plan and think how it will all come together.

Biggest challenge is I have TWO RUNNING TANKS/SUMP in that room.

I'll start the pre-build thread once I get some traction.

Unread 12/28/2017, 10:32 AM   #943
Wally.B
Registered Member

I started my NEW TANK Prebuild Thread Here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2662587

No more Posts on this thread, unless something related to history....

See you over there.

Unread 03/19/2018, 09:40 AM   #944
Wally.B
Registered Member

SUMP Room Completed

Thread POST Here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=94

Unread 03/26/2019, 08:53 AM   #945
2mk
Registered Member

OMG Wally.

I just stumbled on his thread search for sump size and saw this in amazement just simply skimming through! And you call yourself not a pro! More than pro than I can ever be. Only if you can teach me all of what you are doing.

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
2mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 11:22 AM   #946
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mk View Post
OMG Wally.

I just stumbled on his thread search for sump size and saw this in amazement just simply skimming through! And you call yourself not a pro! More than pro than I can ever be. Only if you can teach me all of what you are doing.
Thanks for the Generous Compliment.

I am still not an expert since I can't get my SPS to Grow Fast

At least I am killing much less lately.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 03/28/2019, 02:28 PM   #947
2mk
Registered Member

Very Humble. I think you just don't have enough time for your tank since you seems to be a very busy person. I am learning myself after being in it for the past 5 years. Gave up buying more coral from having them constantly dying after a few months. The remaining ones a six polyp Hammer, a 10 polyp frog spawn, 3 shrooms, zenia, and one leather coral are now thriving to the point that my 35G is not able to hold anymore. They were fragged not because I know how. They just broke/fell apart into different pieces, then remounted on rocks. : )

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
Unread 05/07/2019, 01:26 AM   #948
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Very Humble. I think you just don't have enough time for your tank since you seems to be a very busy person. I am learning myself after being in it for the past 5 years. Gave up buying more coral from having them constantly dying after a few months. The remaining ones a six polyp Hammer, a 10 polyp frog spawn, 3 shrooms, zenia, and one leather coral are now thriving to the point that my 35G is not able to hold anymore. They were fragged not because I know how. They just broke/fell apart into different pieces, then remounted on rocks. : )
Yes, I don't have much time since, so this MIGHT HELP get back some time, and save on Salt Water too (by re-use, Cascading from Cleanest SPS Tank to my Dirtiest LPS tank).

Just finished building A DIY 4 Stage Water Changer Controller (Integrated to Apex)

Basically it will do this.....

GOAL IS TO AUTOMATE my 3 Tanks almost 100%. KEEPS my HAND out and disrupting things.
Can working more on Stability, Nutrients, and messing around with Frag Tank (not DT's)

More details to come, and a Working Demo, when I complete Installation, and Finished the Software.

Maybe in a separate thread.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/07/2019, 01:48 PM   #949
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Yes, I don't have much time since, so this MIGHT HELP get back some time, and save on Salt Water too (by re-use, Cascading from Cleanest SPS Tank to my Dirtiest LPS tank).

Just finished building A DIY 4 Stage Water Changer Controller (Integrated to Apex)

Basically it will do this.....

GOAL IS TO AUTOMATE my 3 Tanks almost 100%. KEEPS my HAND out and disrupting things.

Can working more on Stability, Nutrients, and messing around with Frag Tank (not DT's)

More details to come, and a Working Demo, when I complete Installation, and Finished the Software.

Maybe in a separate thread.

Hi Wally,

You have 3 tanks and 2 sumps? I am in the process of combining my 35g & 55g tanks by draining into the same sump and returning to both tanks byb1 return pump. Auto water change, ATO, @ chiller will work for both tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/10/2019, 12:24 AM   #950
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Wally,

You have 3 tanks and 2 sumps? I am in the process of combining my 35g & 55g tanks by draining into the same sump and returning to both tanks byb1 return pump. Auto water change, ATO, @ chiller will work for both tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I actually have 2 Main Display Tank TANKS (the 90 Gallon LPS tank) and the (110 Gallon SPS) Tank.

the 3rd TANK (In between Tank is a DIY 35 Gallon Frag Tank made from a OLD 35 I got from Thrift Store).
It has a built in Sump.

The 65 Gallon Tank under the Frag Tank is the New Salt Water Reservoir.
It's about 12 years old, slightly scratched. Tried to sell it when I upgrade to 110, but nobody wanted it.
REALLY GLAD nobody bought it, since It's perfect for Water Reservoir. I never consciously realized it's same width,length as Frag Tank till only a week ago.

Just Shot this VIDEO to Make things a bit obvious for my Whole setup.
What's missing in this Video is the 90 Gallon LPS tank is UPSTAIR, Directly above the SUMP ROOM.
The Pumbing to the Sump (Under the 110 Gallon Tank) is in those white Deck Post Columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCgo9b-xWo

THE WATER CHANGER is Finished, and I setup this TEST LAB on my Desk to develop the code to run it. (Code will go fairly Fast, since I will be re-using Code from my DIY Doser, and the DIY Tank Minder)

Must be tested, since it will be HOOKED up to 2 Live Tanks.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/10/2019 at 12:42 AM.

Tags
automation, dosing, sump