Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2016, 02:58 PM   #176
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

One of the most stunning tanks I ever saw was a freshwater planted tank with dark substrate, about 150 Cardinal tetras, and big sword plants and heavily actinic weighted lighting.....

It was breathtaking....seriously.

Unread 07/28/2016, 06:14 PM   #177
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
One of the most stunning tanks I ever saw was a freshwater planted tank with dark substrate, about 150 Cardinal tetras, and big sword plants and heavily actinic weighted lighting.....

It was breathtaking....seriously.
I still have a huge soft spot for FW, planted and cichlid tanks I would set one up but having two different tank would take up WAAYY too much of my time

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 04:41 AM   #178
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
I still have a huge soft spot for FW, planted and cichlid tanks I would set one up but having two different tank would take up WAAYY too much of my time
A planted FW tank............. you're not having any of your acros back Dom - you're not a fit and responsible SPS keeper.....

Unread 07/29/2016, 05:32 AM   #179
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
A planted FW tank............. you're not having any of your acros back Dom - you're not a fit and responsible SPS keeper.....

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:24 PM   #180
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Andrew, maybe you can give him some guppies instead.

Marty

Quote:

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:27 PM   #181
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
What Flo said

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:29 PM   #182
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

As most of you know I recently lost my beloved bellus angel and kole tang well to add salt to that wound I came home on Wednesday night to my darling little possum wrasse caught in the powerhead and torn in half What a heartbreak it was coming home to that destruction! That left me with only my gorgeous little h. melasmapomus (earmuff wrasse) left in the tank and she was very lonely. Unfortunately I couldn't buy some more fish as none of my list was in and I had no money to order any more as it was all budgeted for the sump and vectra.

As I was chatting to Dave of the lovely Deer Park Aquarium I asked what was coming in this week and if there was anything of intrigue coming in and I got this reply lol:
"Ill never tell 🙂

Ok maybe....

Umm.....
Rainbow trachys
Master scollys
Insane 60 something sps
Mega chalice
Plectranthias
Rainbow rics
And many many more"

With some more questioning:
"That's just some of it. 26 clams!"

Needless to say I wet my pants with excitement, even with the fact I couldn't buy anything! Just going to see the plectranthias longimanus was worth going to be worth the trip out! And with just a few clams in store it sounded like my kind of day to visit!

So off I set after dropping Georgia off at work over to Dave's! I got there and H.O.L.Y S.H.I.T the goods were THE GOODS!! (as they usually are lol). So off I set, dribbling and drooling while bouncing around the store from tank to tank, coral to coral and fish to fish. Catching my eye on a few pretties in the store! P. longimanus, lori anthias, juvi empropers and the teeny tiniest Regal that hadn't even develop full colours yet it was so cute, stunning lps:

Christmas tree rocks:

And acro's!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:30 PM   #183
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

It was glorious but I paused at one particular tank that a blue and rose flash caught my eye in! Two stunning little wrasse were in this tank, a terminal phase male cirrhilabrus rubriventralis (Longfin Fairy Wrasse) and a small sub phase male paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)! And two that were on my list (well carpenters is but the longfin fell into my category), just my luck, fish I want with no budget for them.
While admiring these beauties, Dave comes over and tells me the longfin was super expensive and that immediately knocked it out of the park for me so a little disappointed I decided I spare the cash for the carpenters and not eat for a few days instead.

Once I'd finished my standard rounds and mopped up the dribble, I started chatting with Dave and Mark and that was when Dave looked over and said
"Hey Mark, can you go and get the little blue thing from behind the counter for Dom"
The alarm bells started immediately, "who's leaving me things with Dave?". Those bells got louder as I saw what it was, a box wrapped in blue wrapping paper with a ribbon and the works...
"what the #*%&...??"
So off I set, with everyone in store watching me unwrap this present and what do I find...? A box with ten goddamn layers of DUCT TAPE!! and a note
"To Dom, Love Georgia"
Well at least I know who it's from so I start peeling and Mark just hands me the razor so I start hacking through to find a box with no markings I recognise and I have no idea what's happening!
"thank *$#^ that's over"... at least I thought!
Out comes the inner bloody box and what's that got... MORE DUCT TAPE and two layers of CABLE TIES!! Mark and Dave just burst into laughter along with everyone else haha so with everyone laughing at me off I set cutting my way through the ties and hacking the tape off and I finally get to inner box (15mins later lol) and that's when I notice the final bloody layer! A ball of duct tape!! Well by now everyone is having a right old time watching me so I start to unravel this bloody ball and that was when Dave finally put me out of my misery:
"Did you check the other boxes?"
No Dave, I'm too busy with the metres of tape on this thing!
So Dave very enjoyably pulls out a little note from the inner box that I completely missed.. lol

My heart dropped, I was left completely speechless and nearly cried in the middle of the store but I was strong lol. It turns out that Dave and Georgia (my amazing partner) had been plotting behind my back since I lost my bellus and kole to do something nice to cheer me up again! I was and still am completely blown away by the generosity of both them to take the time to surprise me like this. It turns out the gorgeous longfin had only come in on Thursday night so they'd organised it the night before and Georgia and paid for everything so I hadn't had to worry when I got there!

Well off I set with gusto, agonizing over which clam I was going to take home, I chose this little guy on the right in the end! No bigger than half your pinky!

And of course while I'm happily prancing around the store in utter joy, Dave comes over while looking at the wrasse and says:
"He's yours if you want" turns out he was only making me believe I couldn't get the fish just to say that with the biggest grin lol. So not only did I get to come away with an AcroAl clam!! But I also got the longfin AND the carpenter's because well it was on my list and I'd already prepared to buy it haha.

They're both in the tank and I now have three fish and movement in my tank again after a devastating couple of weeks! They're both eating and settled and my female earmuff doesn't care about either of them lol. Here's a crappy of them in the inspection box before being released into the tank:

I am just so blown away by both Georgia and Dave doing this for me and I couldn't have better friends in my life! And Dave is hands down the best in the business!
Of course part of the joy in all this was showing off how I could get free things to Andrew he summed that interaction up pretty nicely in his thread hahaha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/30/2016, 01:16 AM   #184
wheelman76
Registered Member

Quote:
It was glorious but I paused at one particular tank that a blue and rose flash caught my eye in! Two stunning little wrasse were in this tank, a terminal phase male cirrhilabrus rubriventralis (Longfin Fairy Wrasse) and a small sub phase male paracheilinus carpenteri (Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse)! And two that were on my list (well carpenters is but the longfin fell into my category), just my luck, fish I want with no budget for them.
While admiring these beauties, Dave comes over and tells me the longfin was super expensive and that immediately knocked it out of the park for me so a little disappointed I decided I spare the cash for the carpenters and not eat for a few days instead.

Once I'd finished my standard rounds and mopped up the dribble, I started chatting with Dave and Mark and that was when Dave looked over and said
"Hey Mark, can you go and get the little blue thing from behind the counter for Dom"
The alarm bells started immediately, "who's leaving me things with Dave?". Those bells got louder as I saw what it was, a box wrapped in blue wrapping paper with a ribbon and the works...
"what the #*%&...??"
So off I set, with everyone in store watching me unwrap this present and what do I find...? A box with ten goddamn layers of DUCT TAPE!! and a note
"To Dom, Love Georgia"
Well at least I know who it's from so I start peeling and Mark just hands me the razor so I start hacking through to find a box with no markings I recognise and I have no idea what's happening!
"thank *$#^ that's over"... at least I thought!
Out comes the inner bloody box and what's that got... MORE DUCT TAPE and two layers of CABLE TIES!! Mark and Dave just burst into laughter along with everyone else haha so with everyone laughing at me off I set cutting my way through the ties and hacking the tape off and I finally get to inner box (15mins later lol) and that's when I notice the final bloody layer! A ball of duct tape!! Well by now everyone is having a right old time watching me so I start to unravel this bloody ball and that was when Dave finally put me out of my misery:
"Did you check the other boxes?"
No Dave, I'm too busy with the metres of tape on this thing!
So Dave very enjoyably pulls out a little note from the inner box that I completely missed.. lol

My heart dropped, I was left completely speechless and nearly cried in the middle of the store but I was strong lol. It turns out that Dave and Georgia (my amazing partner) had been plotting behind my back since I lost my bellus and kole to do something nice to cheer me up again! I was and still am completely blown away by the generosity of both them to take the time to surprise me like this. It turns out the gorgeous longfin had only come in on Thursday night so they'd organised it the night before and Georgia and paid for everything so I hadn't had to worry when I got there!

Well off I set with gusto, agonizing over which clam I was going to take home, I chose this little guy on the right in the end! No bigger than half your pinky!

And of course while I'm happily prancing around the store in utter joy, Dave comes over while looking at the wrasse and says:
"He's yours if you want" turns out he was only making me believe I couldn't get the fish just to say that with the biggest grin lol. So not only did I get to come away with an AcroAl clam!! But I also got the longfin AND the carpenter's because well it was on my list and I'd already prepared to buy it haha.

They're both in the tank and I now have three fish and movement in my tank again after a devastating couple of weeks! They're both eating and settled and my female earmuff doesn't care about either of them lol. Here's a crappy of them in the inspection box before being released into the tank:

I am just so blown away by both Georgia and Dave doing this for me and I couldn't have better friends in my life! And Dave is hands down the best in the business!
Of course part of the joy in all this was showing off how I could get free things to Andrew he summed that interaction up pretty nicely in his thread hahaha
Great story Dom , what a generous surprise.

wheelman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 01:31 AM   #185
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman76 View Post
Great story Dom , what a generous surprise.
Thank mate! It definitely made my week and month lol. About as generous as it comes though!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/30/2016, 01:55 AM   #186
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:
About as generous as it comes though!
Wrong Dom, generous would have been you giving your good mate (ME) the voucher rather than selfishly using it on yourself.............

Unread 07/30/2016, 03:39 AM   #187
glaukos
Registered Member

That story made my day too dom bud,even if i got nothing for myself...no wrasse,no clam....nothing

Unread 07/30/2016, 03:43 AM   #188
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Wow nice story and awesome
Pics! Nothing I get to see around here anytime...

Haha typical Andrea... xD

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 05:06 AM   #189
Benar
Registered Member

Bro, wife that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 05:15 AM   #190
M007
Acro Whore

What a great story, you are so fortunate to have such caring peeps

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 05:21 AM   #191
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Wrong Dom, generous would have been you giving your good mate (ME) the voucher rather than selfishly using it on yourself.............

You tried that and Dave turned you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
That story made my day too dom bud,even if i got nothing for myself...no wrasse,no clam....nothing
I'm glad Mike It's definitely one for the ages haha and I'd share if I could... I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
Wow nice story and awesome
Pics! Nothing I get to see around here anytime...

Haha typical Andrea... xD
Thanks Flow It was pretty spectacular in store!!

Don't let Andrew know you're calling him a girl or..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benar View Post
Bro, wife that!

hahaha after yesterday, I might have to bring my schedule forward

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/30/2016, 05:22 AM   #192
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
What a great story, you are so fortunate to have such caring peeps
Yep, I'm truly lucky to have such an amazing person in my life

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/30/2016, 06:04 AM   #193
Jim Z.
Registered Member

That's a great coupon and a good story too. I saw the Biggles version of the story first and I'm still getting a good chuckle out of all of these antics .................Jim

Jim Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 11:45 AM   #194
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benar View Post
Bro, wife that!

This!

Great story Dom, glad you walked away with both wrasses. Strong call.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 04:55 PM   #195
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Z. View Post
That's a great coupon and a good story too. I saw the Biggles version of the story first and I'm still getting a good chuckle out of all of these antics .................Jim
It's the best coupon I've ever gotten!
We do get up to a bit in the store, there was one point we were all standing around the acro tank laughing our heads off with the other customers giving us strange looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
This!

Great story Dom, glad you walked away with both wrasses. Strong call.
Once I saw the coupon there was no way I wasn't getting both they had some nice flashing displays last night which was awesome to watch

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 08/01/2016, 04:45 AM   #196
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Please excuse the quality of the phone video lol but here's an inside look at "The Zoa Zone"

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 08/01/2016, 05:20 AM   #197
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Nice story Dom, congrats on the new fish and your clam. Too bad about your losses though, it's never easy to lose fish but new ones always help. Good video of your tank too, the zoas are looking really good but that encrusting goni is truly a beaut!

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 08:41 PM   #198
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Nice story Dom, congrats on the new fish and your clam. Too bad about your losses though, it's never easy to lose fish but new ones always help. Good video of your tank too, the zoas are looking really good but that encrusting goni is truly a beaut!
Thanks Josh, worst part about it is doing something for her on the same level haha
It'll be nice to get some acro in there and to clean it up a little and the new tank uglies to wear off as well lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 08/01/2016, 08:55 PM   #199
ryanrid
Registered Member

Dom i think you are in the wrong forum, this is the SPS forum not the zoa and clam forum

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 03:06 AM   #200
slin1977
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrid View Post
Dom i think you are in the wrong forum, this is the SPS forum not the zoa and clam forum
What is a wrasse?