Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Shankytank
Registered Member

Seachem Prime

Do Seachem Prime are reef safe ?
Because i use tap water not Ro/di water

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

Shankytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Unless your water out of the tap has a TDS of less than 5, I would highly reccomend thinking about an RODI unit, about $100 bucks, as water is as crucial to success as light.
The best invest you can make. Having great water means less problems which have to be corrected.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 05:42 PM   #3
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Unless your water out of the tap has a TDS of less than 5, I would highly reccomend thinking about an RODI unit, about $100 bucks, as water is as crucial to success as light.
The best invest you can make. Having great water means less problems which have to be corrected.
+1 , The only thing I keep Prime for is a backup in an emergency to reduce ammonia and after regenerating purigen !

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 06:35 PM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I disagree with that, even if your tds is less then 5 I still highly suggest you get an rodi unit. Unless you have it tested you don't know what's in that 5%. It could be harmless or it could be something that keeps you from having any coral in your tank.

Like uncle said though an rodi unit is the best investment you can make. Like anything else you only get out what you put in. If you start with less than optimal ingredients the finished product will likely be less then optimal. While there is a very select few that have high enough water quality to get away without most do not and those that start without one usually regret not buying one from the start. The cost of a unit is a proverbial drop in the bucket compared to the total amount you will invest.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 10:56 PM   #5
Jesterrace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankytank View Post
Do Seachem Prime are reef safe ?
Because i use tap water not Ro/di water

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Anytime someone tells me you have to have freshwater experience before doing a saltwater tank, I point to examples such as this one as to why I disagree. Treated tap water serves you well for freshwater but is a recipe for disaster in a marine tank. Furthermore people don't understand that Prime is best used for emergency type situations and not as a regular dosing for your tank and it can hinder the cycling process. Prime does not remove Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates it merely detoxifies them (and it still isn't 100%).

I also agree that tap water is a bad idea in the long run for a healthy reef tank. Not unless you want to battle nasty algae issues all the time and potentially set up your tank for a crash. Whether you buy your own RODI system or you purchase it from a trusted LFS, it is well worth it.

Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote