Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2008, 11:59 AM   #1
sjfishguy
Registered Member

are there any damsels that aren't aggressive?

Besides chromis, are there any damsels that aren't too aggressive? Specifically something with blue in it. I really want a damsel but the common ones are just so aggressive, I don't want to deal with it. So any suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 65 mixed reef
sjfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 02:00 PM   #2
hub81
Registered Member

Yellow tail blue damsel is a good one and is pretty hardy too.
I had a yellow tail for three years and it did very well with coral,other fish and inverts. I would still have him but he jumped out of the tank during a cleaning and the dog got him before I could.

The Allen Damsels are not aggressive but they are not near as hardy.

Try Not Do or Do Not There Is No Try

Current Tank Info: 150 gal reef 220lbs sand 125lbs live rock, with 55 gal sump Octo Diablo skimmer, quite one 6000 return pump, 39 gal quarantine
hub81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 02:07 PM   #3
JHemdal
Moved On

Aggression in damsels is context-specific - what other fish do you have? Are you talking about the 30 gallon cube on your tag line?

Chrysiptera tricintus are peaceful, but are black and white and rather pricey. Pomacentrus coelstis are pretty mellow, and are blue, but they tend to turn dark in captivity. What about the 'ol YT blue damsel, C. parasema? They stay small, are mostly blue, keep their color very well and are only a little scrappy.

JHemdal

JHemdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Aadler
Registered Member

edit-decide pm was better.

Unread 02/23/2008, 09:34 PM   #5
marc price
Registered Member

Chrysiptera hemicyanea azure damoiselle 6cm. small, peaceful, can be kept in groups

C. springeri 5.5cm. "_______________________________________________"

Pomacentrus alleni 6cm. "___________________________________________"

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 09:51 PM   #6
rishma
Registered Member

I have been looking for a school of Pomacentrus Alleni. Beautiful and not too mean. I hope liveaquaria gets them in sometime

Current Tank Info: Silence is golden
rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 01:56 AM   #7
Apparition
Registered Member

No blue in them, but Robert Fenner and Wet Web Media consider the Talbot's damsel to be the most peaceful. Peaceful enough to keep in groups even. Can be very attractive, but again, no blue.

Apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 05:50 AM   #8
tangafish
Premium Member

I have had a yellow tail blue damsel for about 3 years and he isnt agressive at all

tangafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 07:53 AM   #9
sean48183
Registered Member

It depends on tank mates and when the fish is added. I have had all kinds of damsels and I agree the blue w/yellow tail is probably the least aggressive and can be kept with fairy wrasses and firefish. If you have clown fish and dwarf angels I would say a blue devil would proabably work well added last. The blue devil is more of a tank cruiser where as the blue with yellow tail tends to hang in one spot mostly. In a 30g cube things can get a little cramped so I would be careful adding to many aggressive fish.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Sheol
Registered Member

Yellowtails ( C. parasema) are about the mellowest & bluest of the true damsels. Really intense electric blue color. Mine has been almost a model citizen ( it digs, but then so does my Cherub angel). Never ANY aggression...

Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 10:40 AM   #11
dougc
Registered Member

The Starkii Damsel (Chrysiptera starki) is considered less aggressive than most. The one in my tank hasn't bothered anything. It even ignores my chromises and my fairy wrasse. New introductions get some minor posturing, but nothing like other damsels I have kept.

Current Tank Info: 180g AGA RR, Ecosystem,AI SOL LEDs, Apex controller, MRC CR, Tunze 6100s, Osmolator
dougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 01:17 PM   #12
marc price
Registered Member

i left the pervious two off my list because of size. C. parasema 7cm. and C. starcki 10cm. additionally starck's can become more aggressive as they grow. btw i think it's one of the more attractive damselfishes.

Last edited by marc price; 02/24/2008 at 01:32 PM.
Unread 02/24/2008, 02:15 PM   #13
marc price
Registered Member

dougC, i haven't listed mine but we have almost the same exact hobby experience.

Unread 02/24/2008, 03:47 PM   #14
sjfishguy
Registered Member

Great responses! I had no idea that the common yellowtail was not all that aggressive. I thought they were just as bad humbugs and dominos. I thought a few of the less common blue and yellow ones were less aggressive, but I didn't want to go on faith, its great to hear people that actually have them and consider them peaceful.

I currrently have a coral beauty, a small maroon clown, a royal gramma, and a sixline in the 30 cube. I probably won't add another fish unless something happens to one of these, or if the maroon gets too big and I have to get rid of him. Having said that, when I do add another fish I will be sure to reference this thread. Thanks again!

Current Tank Info: 65 mixed reef
sjfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Kahuna Tuna
Registered Member

I have a pair of yellowtail blues in my 180 right now. I keep losing them, my original addition was a group of five and all had died or disappeared within 3 weeks. I added three more and all but one died. I added two more and one vanished a few days ago. I have a pair now and they appear to be doing well but I'm really not sure why I keep losing them. They are very non aggressive and none of my other fish bothered them at all.

Current Tank Info: No tank currently
Kahuna Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote