Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:30 PM   #26
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
Capy,

Have you checked your ammonia level?
x2 on this, i just recieved some pics from a guy i know curing some rock, hes our club president, and has seen this stuff quite often, says it usually shows up when ammonia is a 1ppm+ on new tanks and while curing some nasty live rock after a boil, listen to highlanderreed, he seems to really know his stuff, have read quite a few of his informative posts

Current Tank Info: 120gallon 2-darts, 2-evo 1400's...piles of flow.. RKE with an easy button
noobtothereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 06:31 PM   #27
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Amquel will work fine for removing ammonia.

Randy goes into more details in this article:

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php#17

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 06:33 PM   #28
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
Amquel will work fine for removing ammonia.

Randy goes into more details in this article:

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php#17
thanks for the help! have a great weekend!

Current Tank Info: 120gallon 2-darts, 2-evo 1400's...piles of flow.. RKE with an easy button
Unread 05/29/2010, 06:38 PM   #29
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Your welcome.

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:38 PM   #30
capy
Registered Member

No sign of ammonia i to have been siphoning and it clears up for a day. i've even reduced feeding to see if i can slow down the growth.A few other tanks i saw were alot worse than mine but the only difference is mine out of water is like jelly.This is so wierd so just clean clean clean and water changes i guess.Any treatments out there you think might help?

capy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 06:40 PM   #31
capy
Registered Member

By the way thanks to both of you for all the help

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:41 PM   #32
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capy View Post
No sign of ammonia i to have been siphoning and it clears up for a day. i've even reduced feeding to see if i can slow down the growth.A few other tanks i saw were alot worse than mine but the only difference is mine out of water is like jelly.This is so wierd so just clean clean clean and water changes i guess.Any treatments out there you think might help?
maybe you have something dead in your tank, and its not showing the ammonia because its being eaten up by the bacteria quickly, just like in an algea outbreak, many test for phosphates and it shows 0 but thats because the algea is using it up so quickly

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:48 PM   #33
capy
Registered Member

Maybe, the only thing i know of that died in my tank was a royal gramma long time ago other than that dont really have much life in the tank few clowns few corals few inverts which all seem to be doing well.I guess ill ride it out and keep cleaning. i really appreciate all your help.Thanks

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:52 PM   #34
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Perhaps trying a stop feeding for three days will help. The bacteria will use the nutrients as fast as you add fish food. Cleaning the debris from rock and the bottom of the tank will help along with keeping the bacteria removed as well.

Unread 05/29/2010, 07:01 PM   #35
capy
Registered Member

The fish will be ok for three days? could i turn my lights back on?

Unread 05/29/2010, 07:02 PM   #36
noobtothereef
Registered Member

yes, lights make no difference as there is no light on my return section of my sump and still grows like crazy there

Unread 05/29/2010, 07:08 PM   #37
capy
Registered Member

You know i did use essential elements a couple times a few weeks back a buddy gave it to me and said i should start using it.I have discontinued ever since this but other than that i never add anything to my tank also i have a smart uv hooked up and running hopefully this will help?

Unread 10/01/2012, 07:20 AM   #38
DaveG99
Registered Member

so what happened with this? I too have this weird slime. It definitely has gotten better for me though and my tank is only 6 months old so I figured its just part of the cycle but I never had any other tank do this.

DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 05:00 PM   #39
KeLusth
Registered Member

The same thing is happening to me. Weird white/clear slimy snot. I think mine started because I switched all my rock and livestock from a 8 gallon to a 20g and put in new sand, so I guess my tank is new in a sense. The only thing I added since the switch were 2 fish (didnt have any before) and c. prolifera

My ammonia comes up as 0.

full tank shot. The slime seems to only stick to the glass and the caulerpa.

KeLusth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 07:08 PM   #40
bertoni
RC Mod

You're probably seeing a bacterial bloom. It's hard to be sure, though. I might give the tanks some time to settle before worrying much.

Unread 10/13/2012, 07:25 AM   #41
Helodrvr
Registered Member

I am having the same problem. My system is a little over a year old and about a month and a half ago this stuff just started growing like CRAZY. All of my parameters are with in acceptable ranges. I am siphoning it out and doing weekly water changes but this white slim always comes back with vengeance! I am at my wits end with this stuff. I am thinking about trying this hydrogen peroxide theory that seems to be floating around here. My lights are a DIY LED set up and the filtration for my 55 gal other than a sock filter is just a 40 gal Mangrove / Macro Tank that i have set up in series to each other. It has worked awesomely until this white slim exploded. Any feed back on what the guys did a couple of years ago to get rid of their issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Helodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 09:47 AM   #42
claudacate
Registered Member

Oh my god! Finally someone has the same problem that I had, and I had it bad. I had to clean the pipe because this slime would stick in the pipe and restrict flow. Wait until the slime gets a bit thicker and it will turn into this yellow crud and it won't budge until you remove it with physically. Do you dose any carbon source? Vinegar? Zeostart? I treated it with 1. daily dose of zeozyme for 10 days (this will turn your water yellow) 2. stop dosing carbon source 3. dose bacteria after 10 days and place lots GAC 4. Remove any slime you can find daily after the zeozyme dosing This is will slowly decrease the slime. Don't add anything with high level of nitrate. my parameters were zero nitrate and phosphate, so as an experiment I added KNO3 and the slime returns immediately.

claudacate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 08:49 PM   #43
tecapparatus
Registered Member

This could be a possibility, This happen to me after cleaning my carpet.
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...slime-part-iii

Use their approach successfully, although it has popped back up once.

tecapparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 12:53 AM   #44
Buzz1329
Premium Member

Are all of you having this problem using "dry rock"?

180 mixed reef

Last edited by Buzz1329; 11/02/2012 at 12:59 AM.
Buzz1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 09:29 AM   #45
swcc
Moved On

this bacterial slime is due to high nutrients in the system. More nutrients more bacteria...can be because the rocks are loaded and when adding in any bioload it you tip the scales overboard. Poor cycling, too fast stocking..poor export are all contributors to this.

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2012, 12:21 PM   #46
zibba
Registered Member

Just wanted to chime in on this. I'm just starting to notice a little bit of this "clear slime" on my new system, which was started with dry rock. I started the cycle with a raw shrimp and left them in there to decay completely. I watched my ammonia and nitrite/nitrates peak out over a 4-week period and I did the standard water change to reduce nitrates. In turn, diatoms started showing up on the rock and sand -- still standard. The only live stock in the tank is a single test coral (a chalice) and some amphipods that were added to seed the fuge and display.

I did the second water change two nights ago and noticed a really small amount of this clear slime coming off the rock as I was trying to siphon off some of the diatoms. This morning, the slime was showing up on some of the other rocks.

Currently running the skimmer only -- no other filtration. I removed the filter socks and some carbon that I was running passively after initially adding the rock/sand.

I'm testing again tonight and will start siphoning it out via small partial water changes.

Unread 12/13/2012, 11:09 AM   #47
zibba
Registered Member

Here's a quick video to show you what I'm looking at:

I ran some tests and, althought I'm not a fan of this API test kit, I read this as saying the ammonia levels are between 0 and 0.25ppm and the other levels are at (or near) 0. Agree?

I haven't tried siphoning it out yet. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Unread 12/13/2012, 08:27 PM   #48
bertoni
RC Mod

How long has it been since the ammonia hit zero? I might not worry much just yet. Also, how big was the chunk of shrimp?

Unread 12/13/2012, 10:12 PM   #49
zibba
Registered Member

Thanks for checking in Jonathan. Just went back and checked my notes. Ammonia hit zero on 12/2 and it was a two shrimp that were about 1". In fact, I even took a picture

Right now, like you said, I'm not worrying too much and not planning on making any drastic changes -- simply chalking it up to "new-tank" syndrom -- but it's something that I hadn't experienced in the past and I was having trouble finding information on (except for this thread). If there's some other information that would help, please let me know.

Unread 12/13/2012, 11:01 PM   #50
bertoni
RC Mod

I think it's likely just new tank syndrome. I just wanted to know approximately how long the tank has been settling in.