Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2007, 06:34 PM   #51
ann83
Registered Member

Any RO/DI water. Water is filtered many ways, you will have to ask your lfs or read the labels on the jugs of water at the store. Will say "Reverse Osmosis and Distillation". That being said, you don't have to use RO/DI. If the water has the correct parameters you can use something like Amquel Plus on it and then use it. You'll have to get testing kits anyway, so go ahead and buy some now and test the different sources of water you have at your disposal.

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2007, 09:08 PM   #52
fishymann
Registered Member

alright i will be sure to pick up test kits next time i get a chance. right now the tank is in debate, my mom loves the idea, and we told my dad about it today and its not that he is against it, he's just not sure where it will go. Where i wanted it he said no, so now i've gotta find a different place.

Unread 01/15/2007, 05:18 PM   #53
LekicINC
Registered Member

5 dollars a lb. is not expensive for me for live rock. In the city where I live its 8.99. If i got around it, its usually about 6 bucks a pound...for good rock anyway. buy thirty lbs, its only 150 bucks.

Current Tank Info: 75 f/o
LekicINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 08:06 PM   #54
orb
Registered Member

hey lekicINC where are the good stores at in the city? will be in midtown all next week. last time, i couldn't find any good ones inside the city-maybe i'm spoiled with the lfs down here, but i've seen some nice pics on manhattan reefers. i must not have seen the good stores. sorry to de-rail this thread. ok-back on topic.

orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 08:52 PM   #55
nynex
Registered Member

Ya everywhere up north live rock is 8.99 a pound. I was up in Detroit a month ago,
I went in a LFS and just being curious I asked about liverock and it was 9.99 a pound for Fiji. I laughed when the guy told me that. Here in florida its around 3.98 for fiji and 4.99 for others. Fishymann pointed out a good deal on ebay...

nynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 09:12 PM   #56
fishymann
Registered Member

finally got onto seahorse.org but had to re register ahha, the guys up there are saying my setup sounds great, but they sound skeptical about the rock. im trying to clear up their thoughts.

Unread 01/15/2007, 09:24 PM   #57
nynex
Registered Member

Really? Are they saying No Live Rock???

Unread 01/15/2007, 09:26 PM   #58
fishymann
Registered Member

they'r just warning against it because of hitch hikers. but im sort of PRO rock since it will help with filtration

Unread 01/15/2007, 09:37 PM   #59
nynex
Registered Member

exactly...everyone Ive talked to...said put atleast some live rock in. You can also
put a small cleaner crew in there too.

Unread 01/15/2007, 10:30 PM   #60
Fredfish
Registered Member

Some folks are a little more worried than others about unspecified hitchikers. I personally don't worry about that.

Fred

Unread 01/16/2007, 02:58 AM   #61
pledosophy
Registered Member

Add rock. Lots of it. The more the better. I don't think you have enough. Hitchhikers are an easy fix. If it's dwarfs that's another issue but larger seahorses, more rock is good.

Unread 01/16/2007, 04:38 AM   #62
LekicINC
Registered Member

hitchikers are a ridiculous reason not to get rock. Quarintine the rocks just as you would anything else (forgot to mention that, fishyman you'll need basic equipement for QT tank too. No one said this was cheap!) and any mantis, apistasia, whatever will be much easier to removie. Am I missing something here?

Orb: For the highest quality in both reef and fish, go with New world Aquarium. They are small for store standards (ny) and expensive (ny again). its on 38 and 3rd. There is a thread I started here about stores in the city, mostly everyone says just go to another city! they really dont hold up to most other stores, NW is still pretty nice to found your common stuff, in good quality.

Current Tank Info: 75 f/o
LekicINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:24 AM   #63
orb
Registered Member

thanks lekicINC, i will def. check it out. i'm interested to see how multiple systems are set up in very small spaces.

as for info on this thread...

i added all my rock, but no sand. i watched it for a month, and didn't see anything i didn't want on the rock. kinda like a quarantine period, but i got lucky and didn't have to remove anything, or move it. after i felt it was ok, i went ahead and added the sand slowly. i've already got lots of pods on the rock/glass. no livestock in there yet.

i wanted to do a lot of live rock, but also want to do sea grasses, so i ended up going easy on the LR.

make sure you put up pics when it running. good luck

orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 02:02 PM   #64
fishymann
Registered Member

my friend has dried coral from her old tank, she said it was bleached and dried and she has it in storage, she wants to give me some of it when i get my tank up and running. is this safe to use and is there anything i should do to it?

Unread 01/16/2007, 04:09 PM   #65
pledosophy
Registered Member

fine to use. If it was bleached I'd soak in water with a dechlorinator for a couple of days just to ease my mind. I'm paranoid.

Unread 01/16/2007, 05:34 PM   #66
fishymann
Registered Member

alright thank you i just wanted to make sure itd be alright. since its dried the lighting doesn't really matter correct? will it be more brittle though and break with use from the sea horses? Soak in fresh water or saltwater?

Unread 01/16/2007, 08:06 PM   #67
pledosophy
Registered Member

Light doesn't matter for dead corals. Shouldn't be brittle, depending on what it is.

Soak in freshwater with the dechlorinator.

Geez you sure do pester a lot.

Keep it up.

Kevin

Unread 01/16/2007, 09:02 PM   #68
fishymann
Registered Member

i pester now so that later i dont have to pester about how to keep my almost dead seahorses alive

Unread 01/16/2007, 10:27 PM   #69
pledosophy
Registered Member

Which is the resposnible thing to do. Kudos to you for doing so. WOuld be great if all keepers where so dedicated.

I'm just pulling your chain a bit about the "pester" thing. Your word, just struck me as funny. I like being pestered, as long as it's about fish, and not to do the dishes.

Unread 01/16/2007, 10:34 PM   #70
fishymann
Registered Member

yea i knew you were joking around. I should get a yes or no tomorrow about the fish tank, if i get a yes i should have the empty tank by the weekend. When i soak the live+dead+dying rock should it be in salt or freshwater?

Unread 01/17/2007, 03:59 PM   #71
fishymann
Registered Member

insteadd of a home made DIY nitrate reactor, what if i took a small HOB filter and filled the chamber with seachem denitrate and ran that secondary ? or would this just be a bad idea

Unread 01/17/2007, 06:14 PM   #72
pledosophy
Registered Member

That works, just keep the flow low.

Unread 01/19/2007, 01:42 PM   #73
Brent Burton
Registered Member

Really you don't need any special lighting just for LR. I just turned the lights on for the first time in several months on a tank i have and the live rock still looks awsome. not as bright but deep purple. If you end up deciding to keep coral you can build your own lighting very easily for cheap. checkout hellolights.com
if you put compacts or mh on your LR and it will blossom

Current Tank Info: 70 bowfront reef w/30g sump/refugium,75g community w/20g sump/ref, 45g seahorse w/10g sump & 5g ref.
Brent Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2007, 04:45 PM   #74
fishymann
Registered Member

should be able to start the setup this weekend. I will log the experience, pictures and maybe some videos? i hope to be a successful seahorse keeper.

Unread 01/26/2007, 03:59 PM   #75
fishymann
Registered Member

alright, got the tank emptied today. and getting the stand tomorrow. How should i go about cleaning it? I've read some things about vinegar?