Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 12:49 PM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Keep in mind that these anemones are essentially balloons - they look more colorful when deflated. I got a really red based mag years ago that ended up being a really washed out red once fully expanded.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Kinetic
Registered Member

Either way, looks really nice!!!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 08:53 AM   #28
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Either way, looks really nice!!!
Thank you. Her color is different today. Still has a bright purple base...without a lick of red.
He color is different at every angle depending where her movement is.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

FNGsaltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 08:44 AM   #29
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

UPDATE: I emailed liveaquaria in regards to the color of the anemone. They went above and beyond with customer service to ensure I was happy. This was my first liveaquaria purchase. I was weary of ordering online, but at as far as I'm concerned, I'm hooked!
Still today this anemone is healthy and happy. As soon as I fed my fish, her mouth swelled cause she was hungry. She ate first day, the second day, third day. Fourth day she didn't beg for food, so it'll be as needed from now on. She's gotten bigger. And her Colors are the same as when she was smaller, so her zooxanthellae is reproducing nicely.

Unread 01/23/2018, 10:00 AM   #30
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGsaltwater View Post
UPDATE: I emailed liveaquaria in regards to the color of the anemone. They went above and beyond with customer service to ensure I was happy. This was my first liveaquaria purchase. I was weary of ordering online, but at as far as I'm concerned, I'm hooked!
Still today this anemone is healthy and happy. As soon as I fed my fish, her mouth swelled cause she was hungry. She ate first day, the second day, third day. Fourth day she didn't beg for food, so it'll be as needed from now on. She's gotten bigger. And her Colors are the same as when she was smaller, so her zooxanthellae is reproducing nicely.

Be careful with the feeding. Feeding too often is way worse than not feeding at all.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 10:09 AM   #31
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Be careful with the feeding. Feeding too often is way worse than not feeding at all.
Got it. Yeah. It's a delicate balance. I only do it if they are healthy enough to not stress out, but hungry enough to need it. If they are getting enough nourishment from the light, I don't feed at all.

Unread 01/23/2018, 10:12 AM   #32
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

Oh. I also make sure they have excreted their waste before I feed again. Otherwise you're just packing them and setting yourself up for disaster. Small spirolina brine the first two day, then an eraser size piece of shrimp. Exoskeleton/legs taken off for easier breakdown.

Unread 02/01/2018, 10:01 AM   #33
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

Quick update. Maggie is doing great. Color is returning back. Here she is under 14k halides. The pictures don't do her coloring justice. She's beautiful.

Unread 02/02/2018, 12:30 AM   #34
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Very lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 12:41 AM   #35
Kinetic
Registered Member

Very beautiful!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 09:27 AM   #36
BClute
Registered Member

Did you do a Cipro treatment?

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 12:29 PM   #37
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

No. I had a HT ready to go and plenty of cephalexin (that's what I choose to use... most times) on hand. I've done quite a few and have been a fairly good judge whether it should be used based on the anemones gameotrophic tissue and overall visual health. There's more to my theory, but that's a whole other post. Haha!

Unread 02/02/2018, 07:49 PM   #38
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
No. I had a HT ready to go and plenty of cephalexin (that's what I choose to use... most times) on hand. I've done quite a few and have been a fairly good judge whether it should be used based on the anemones gameotrophic tissue and overall visual health. There's more to my theory, but that's a whole other post. Haha!

Interesting. I just got my first mag today and just went ahead and started treatment... IMO the nem looked really good upon arrival but since it's my first mag I have nothing to compare it against. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake deciding to treat it..

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 07:28 AM   #39
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Please post what you do. It would help everybody. the FDA start to regulate Ciprofloxacin tighter and having experiences with another antibiotic would be helpful. Dosage and how successful you are would be a big help for other reefers.
You can start your own thread or added on to the one I have.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 07:44 AM   #40
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

I'm a bit confused. Here in the Midwest you can buy ciprofloxacin off the shelf for around $8, for 250 mg 100 pills. I can certainly try to gather up pictures, itinerary and materials that I've based my hypothesis.

Unread 02/03/2018, 10:51 AM   #41
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Please post what you do. It would help everybody. the FDA start to regulate Ciprofloxacin tighter and having experiences with another antibiotic would be helpful. Dosage and how successful you are would be a big help for other reefers.
You can start your own thread or added on to the one I have.
Agreed ! Share your methods to help ensure the success in keeping these beauties...well, at least getting them going after being shipped !! Thanks in advance !

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 10:59 PM   #42
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Yes please do share what you know that has worked for you, it can save nems lives and headaches and pain and money and frustrations.....

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2018, 11:03 PM   #43
OrionN
Moved on

I don’t think we can get Cipro on line anymore other than with this prescription, I think. I never have to buy mine online.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 02/04/2018, 09:02 AM   #44
sarens
Registered Member

I just bought some on line, coming from UK, agree with Minh, I don't think in USA or Canada you can buy (even on line) without a script, price wasn't horrible, but not $10 like it used to be

Current Tank Info: 11'6" long 330gal with 475 gallon system volume
sarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 10:37 AM   #45
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

I go to the local store and pick it up. It comes in 60 capsules. 500 mg ciprofloxacin or 250 cephalexin.

Unread 02/04/2018, 10:39 AM   #46
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

"Fish flox" for ciprofloxacin
"Fish flex" for cephalexin

Unread 02/04/2018, 10:44 AM   #47
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

Oh and I have "Fishbiotic" for cephalexin. I have used Cephalexin on a malu that someone dropped a rock on and tore half his tentacles off. He lost all his zooxanthellae but with gradual feedings, of small (like 1-3 spirolina brine) a day, his color came back fully after 3 months

Unread 02/04/2018, 02:24 PM   #48
sarens
Registered Member

Quote:
I go to the local store and pick it up. It comes in 60 capsules. 500 mg ciprofloxacin or 250 cephalexin.

do you live in US? I was just at CVS, and pharmacist told me that in US he thinks you need a prescription (he was pretty young guy though)

-would be nice to just buy over the counter

Current Tank Info: 11'6" long 330gal with 475 gallon system volume
sarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 08:35 PM   #49
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

I live in the Midwest. Petco, CVS, Walgreens, etc., will not carry it. They have vets and Dr's who prescribe. It's not in their best interest. It's the industry as a whole. I grew up on A farm. A farmer...who needs anti biotic regularly WILL NOT call a vet for something they KNOW is wrong when they know it's minor. That being said, the local farm supply carries ALL antibiotics that people even take. It is just labeled "not for human consumption". I don't know if I can name the names of stores on here, but if I can and you need sample names of stores I surely will post. I'd gladly mail some to people in need as well.

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:30 PM   #50
OrionN
Moved on

Indiscriminate use of this antibiotic is a big problem. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic that bacterial develops resistant to easy. This antibiotic was added to chicken feed to keep chicken from dying when raised in high density condition. This practice was outlawed in the US but other countries continue to use it this way.
We can buy other antibiotic without prescription but not this one.