Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Can I keep a small (1"-1.5") tank raised hippo tang in a 60 gal until it gets larger?
Yes 58 31.87%
No 99 54.40%
Maybe 25 13.74%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Reefer.lol
Moved On

What tang can i get in my 60 gallon tank?

I love tangs. I know that I cannot have a powder blue or a hippo tang.
But is there any tang that i can successfully keep in my 60 gallon reef?

Reefer.lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 09:23 AM   #2
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer.lol View Post
I love tangs. I know that I cannot have a powder blue or a hippo tang.
But is there any tang that i can successfully keep in my 60 gallon reef?
I thought I put maybe in the poll. Do you know other reefers around you with larger tanks that would be willing to take the tang when it gets bigger? Or a trustworthy LFS that would be willing to trade it back in later on? I personally wouldn't do it so I'd say no for me.

Of the tangs the tomini or kole tang would probably be your best bet to keep in there long term. They don't get as large but I still wouldn't do it personally.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 09:23 AM   #3
CorkPullerPHL
Mmm, Beer.

nope, sorry.

There are too many other beautiful fish to fall in love with. I want one in my tank too, but it won't happen.

Current Tank Info: Build on hold - Getting married instead.
CorkPullerPHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 09:49 AM   #4
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Nope.

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Reefer.lol
Moved On

This really sucks. I should have done research before I bought my tank. Then again it still wouldn't have mattered because this tank was originally purchased for freshwater fish.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:16 AM   #6
newsalt
Registered Member

I had a hippo tang in a 50g for 2 years before I upgraded to a 120. That same tang went from the 50g to the 120g to the current 180g. I say get it.

newsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 11:29 AM   #7
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsalt View Post
I had a hippo tang in a 50g for 2 years before I upgraded to a 120. That same tang went from the 50g to the 120g to the current 180g. I say get it.

The 50 for 2 years was far too long...and not everyone plans or CAN upgrade as often as you have. Most folks will keep their current tank and let that be it. Whether that's the plan or not.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Reefer.lol
Moved On

Well I definitely plan on upgrading before two years and will hopefully be moved out of my moms house. Ill be 21 and partying much. If for some reason I'm not able to my LFS has always allowed trade ins since before I was born. So maybe I will get it. I dont plan on getting it for another six months or so anyway.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:39 AM   #9
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Well I definitely plan on upgrading before two years and will hopefully be moved out of my moms house. Ill be 21 and partying much. If for some reason I'm not able to my LFS has always allowed trade ins since before I was born. So maybe I will get it. I dont plan on getting it for another six months or so anyway.
I was waiting for this post. I knew you had your mind made up about it before you asked us for input anyway. Why the thread and why the poll? Almost everyone has said don't get it, and the poll is showing you that you shouldn't...but you're going to anyway.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Reefer.lol
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaReefer79 View Post
I knew you had your mind made up about it before you asked us for input anyway.
No my mind was not made up about it. And there was a person who did it successfully. And that person moved it to a larger tank like I plan on doing, so forgive me for being a leader and not a follower.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
No my mind was not made up about it. And there was a person who did it successfully. And that person moved it to a larger tank like I plan on doing, so forgive me for being a leader and not a follower.
Purchasing a fish that will outgrow your tank in no time does not make you a leader --- sorry if you think that is the case, but it isn't.

You stated that ONE person did it, so you are going to try--- Well, I had planned on upgrading years ago, and bought some fish that would fit the upgrade and not the current tank. Well, life got in the way and the upgrade never happened, so I had to remove all the live rock and sell the fish that were getting too big.

Stock for the tank you have, and not the one you plan on having someday.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 11:48 AM   #12
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Again, it seems to me that you posted already knowing you were going to do it. You have a poll where 11 people say no and 2 say yes. Why listen to the 2 yes's and not the 11 no's? If you had 50 people telling you no, and just ONE said yes, you'd have done it. That equals knowing beforehand to me. You were just trying to justify doing it and you got what you wanted. And putting a hippo tang in a 50 gallon tank is not being a leader, hate to tell ya. You're not going to be a reefing pioneer for doing so.

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Reefer.lol
Moved On

Quote:
You're not going to be a reefing pioneer for doing so.
LOL! Ok that was a good comback. But seriously my mind wasn't made up. If 11 people told me yes and 2 told me no I probably wouldn't get a tang. I've always been the type to rebel or go against the grain. That's just me.

Unread 03/31/2010, 12:15 PM   #14
1boatnut
Registered Member

MOST Tangs should be left in the ocean.

Those who think they are giving certain species of Tangs a better quality of life because they put them in a 6' tank are delusional. A better life would be to leave them in their natural habitat.

That said,nothing will change

1boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 04:05 PM   #15
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boatnut View Post

Those who think they are giving certain species of Tangs a better quality of life because they put them in a 6' tank are delusional. A better life would be to leave them in their natural habitat.

Completely disagree. COMPLETELY.

Would all tangs, or all large fish for that matter, be better off and happier in the ocean? Absolutley. But to say keeping them in a 500 gallon tank is no different than keeping one in a 29 gallon is insane. The arguement that keeping them in captivity is keeping them in captivity...same / same is wrong. We can keep them in captivity and strive to give them optimal conditions. Tiny tanks such as a hippo in a 55 or a sohal in a 55 or whatever, is not optimal.

Unread 03/31/2010, 04:44 PM   #16
1boatnut
Registered Member

Quote:
Would all tangs, or all large fish for that matter, be better off and happier in the ocean? Absolutley.
Then you absolutely agree.
The rest of your statement is justification for keeping something that would be happier elsewhere,as you just stated.

Quote:
But to say keeping them in a 500 gallon tank is no different than keeping one in a 29 gallon is insane.
I just re-read what I wrote prior and didn't see that statement anywhere.

Again,that said,nothing will change.

Unread 03/31/2010, 05:09 PM   #17
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boatnut View Post

You don't remember typing it? You re-read it and couldnt find it? It's right in the bold above. Yes a 6' tank is a better life than a 3 foot and so on and so on. An 8'x8' cube is better than a 6' etc. Is it better than the ocean? No, but there IS a difference between housing them comfortably, and cramping them a 50 gallon tank.

Unread 03/31/2010, 05:51 PM   #18
1boatnut
Registered Member

Quote:
You don't remember typing it? You re-read it and couldnt find it? It's right in the bold above. Yes a 6' tank is a better life than a 3 foot and so on and so on. An 8'x8' cube is better than a 6' etc. Is it better than the ocean? No, but there IS a difference between housing them comfortably, and cramping them a 50 gallon tank.

Lol...Below is what you typed,not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaReefer79
But to say keeping them in a 500 gallon tank is no different than keeping one in a 29 gallon is insane.

Had me worried as I was starting to think I lost the ability to read,write & comprehend,only to realize it wasn't me

So I'll just stand by my original statement.

Originally Posted by 1boatnut

Even you agreed,twice!

Unread 03/31/2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Packersfan21
Registered Member

Do you have anything better to do than argue over something dumb like this? But to the OP, I wouldn't get one unless you already had another tank purchased to move the fish into later on.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef and 75 gallon FOWLR
Packersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersfan21 View Post
Do you have anything better to do than argue over something dumb like this? But to the OP, I wouldn't get one unless you already had another tank purchased to move the fish into later on.
And that IMO, is the important part -- to already have it purchased, and not just planning on getting one.

Unread 03/31/2010, 07:44 PM   #21
PerezAF01
Registered Member

I would recommend upgrading first. You say you like tangs so much so why would you risk killing one. Its your choice ultimately but I hope you don't come back asking why your tang is sick or dying. Good Luck

PerezAF01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 10:05 PM   #22
wolf reef
Moved On

wow everyone just has to cry over the great tang delima they should just lock these threads before they start going on the argument, the what tang for a 30 gal locked at the top in this forum wasnt a hint? everyone says no, you will get it any way who cares i guess its better than the fish dying at the lfs.

wolf reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 11:17 PM   #23
StripestheEel
Premium Member

If you are concerned about the well being of the fish, wait until you get a bigger tank.

If you are going to upgrade, surely it can wait.

Current Tank Info: 7'x5'x2.2' SPS Reef
StripestheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 01:03 PM   #24
michealprater
Angelfish Nerd

You want a tang. Buy a bigger tank. Pretty simple.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder Reef
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 02:07 PM   #25
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Looks like his alter ego (( different user name, same tank pictures )) went ahead and got a tang....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyReef 2b Great View Post
I just bought a tiny hippo tang yesterday. I took a good hour and a half acclimating him.While he was swimming around quite happily last night, i thought i saw a white spec on him. I said uhoh! I wasn't sure if it was ich or not yet because his behaviour was fine. Today he's swimming around fine also and even eating nori and brine shrimp. Today I also didn't see the white spec that I thought I saw. But he was rubbing up against the rock a couple of times. I don't have a qt tank, but my lfs does sell kick ich, a supposedly reef and invert safe ich med. Should I treat my tank to be safe, or am I just paranoid?

Tags
safe, tang, tank size