Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2016, 09:01 PM   #76
percula99
Registered Member

I just read through this thread and I am super impressed with your determination and ingenuity. Congrats on getting the tank up there. I watch "Tanked" (yeah I know, they're knuckleheads) but they do move very large tanks all the time. They use hydraulic carts with pedals you pump to raise the tank to the right height, then you just slide it onto the stand. Not sure exactly where you would rent that, maybe Robertson's Rent All or some other industrial tool rental place, but that is a moot point now since it's in place. Just another congrats and will be following along to see how it all goes. I live on Ottawa also so if you need some light lifting help, consider asking.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
percula99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 05:29 AM   #77
rockworm
A-counting guy

Thanks Percula. Robertson and Simplex have all kinds of stuff to rent. I was quite amazed with what is available and have thought of other home projects to do, just so I can rent some things and play with them.

I too have watched the knuckleheads on Tanked. One thing they have that we don't is access to such a large assortment of fish. Makes me jealous.....sometimes.

I appreciate your offer of help. I will get in touch if I need some. I think I may have a get together for the Ottawa folk after the setup is complete. I had one years ago when MASO was active. It was fun then, and I am sure it would be fun now.

Cheers, Ward

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS and 75g non SPS
rockworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 07:30 AM   #78
fixmgood
Registered Member

Rockworm there is an old saying.Necessity is the mother of invention.A little overkill on your hoist structure,but hey you felt comfortable,I guess that is all that counts.I have a few Pyramids that need to built out in the dessert I could use your skills. lol.Nice going.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 08:46 AM   #79
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Rockworm there is an old saying.Necessity is the mother of invention.A little overkill on your hoist structure,but hey you felt comfortable,I guess that is all that counts.I have a few Pyramids that need to built out in the dessert I could use your skills. lol.Nice going.
A pyramid? Count me in. Today the tank gets moved to its final resting place. Then I can get back to mundane things like finish the plumbing, tap water leak test, blah, blah blah. Lots of fun, though the pyramid sounds like more fun. lol

Unread 06/12/2016, 10:16 AM   #80
percula99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
I think I may have a get together for the Ottawa folk after the setup is complete. I had one years ago when MASO was active. It was fun then, and I am sure it would be fun now.
Hey Ward. I was one of the originating members of MASO, along with Dave (TruePerc), Johnny (JohnnyRock), Ivan, Stig and Sean. I have kept in touch with Dave, but have lost track of the others. I would guess that you and I have probably met at one of those meetings, although I don't recognize you user name. A get together would probably be fun. If you have one I would definitely attend.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
Unread 06/12/2016, 01:04 PM   #81
kutcha
Registered Member

so far i am liking this following along.

kutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 01:08 PM   #82
Rybren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percula99 View Post
A get together would probably be fun. If you have one I would definitely attend.
Count me in as well.

Gerry, those purple sponges never did resurface in the new tank.

Jerry

Unread 06/12/2016, 01:39 PM   #83
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
so far i am liking this following along.
Thank you for following. It is nice to share the process. Every build is different, but there are still a lot of common things.

Unread 06/12/2016, 01:58 PM   #84
kutcha
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for following. It is nice to share the process. Every build is different, but there are still a lot of common things.
yeah i have been stalking alot of build in prep for my 300DD in wall build i am hoping to start the build in a year or two

Unread 06/12/2016, 02:10 PM   #85
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
yeah i have been stalking alot of build in prep for my 300DD in wall build i am hoping to start the build in a year or two
You will like the width of the DD. So much better than the 24" like my 220.

Unread 06/12/2016, 02:20 PM   #86
rockworm
A-counting guy

Ok. It's teaser time. My beast has landed in its final resting place. Stay tuned for pictures later today. I first want to shim it and put water in for its initial leak test.

Unread 06/12/2016, 02:25 PM   #87
kutcha
Registered Member

Quote:
You will like the width of the DD. So much better than the 24" like my 220.
yeah i love the width the most i dont really like height on tanks i like them long and wide i feel like it give the fish more room and more room for corals

Unread 06/12/2016, 05:29 PM   #88
rockworm
A-counting guy

As mentioned earlier, the tank is home:

I used a pull along and a heavy duty ratchet to pull the tank into place. After that was completed, I removed all the wall braces on the hoist frame and moved the frame over to give me better access to the stand for shimming. You can see the shims under the base of the stand.

I filled the tank with water from the garden hose, which happens to be just outside the door of the tank room. If only RODI would fill the tank as quickly. It only took an hour to fill one inch below the overflow teeth. I anticipate 4 days to fill with RODI.

This is where it stands for now:

There are no leaks but I plan to leave it for 24 hours. While this is not an exhaustive leak test, it will ensure that there are no immediate leaks and will allow it to settle. I will adjust the shims accordingly. If there are no leaks after this time, I will dismantle the hoist frame, clean up the room and then begin the tank plumbing.

I have 320+ pounds of sand and will be ordering 250lbs of dry tonga shelf on Tuesday. It has been quite a weekend and it is mission accomplished. I am right where I hoped to be on Sunday night.

My wife and I celebrated with a nice roast of lamb. We do not get lamb very often, but bought it for this occasion. A great way to end off the weekend. (Not really... weekend ends after tonight's Game of Thrones.)

Cheers,
Ward

Unread 06/12/2016, 08:23 PM   #89
percula99
Registered Member

Ward, didn't your tank sweat after filling it with cold water out of the garden hose? When I filled my sump to test it I did it with water from the laundry sink and the sump sweated so much I couldn't tell if it leaked or I was just seeing condensation. I had to empty it and fill it with warm water before I could tell the difference.

Game of Thrones was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybren View Post
Gerry, those purple sponges never did resurface in the new tank.

Jerry
Hey Jerry, I really regret not having any more of that purple sponge. Why did I get rid of it? It grew really well and had such awesome colour. I had originally bought that at Reef Raft when I was in Toronto and have never seen any since.

Unread 06/12/2016, 08:48 PM   #90
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Ward, didn't your tank sweat after filling it with cold water out of the garden hose? When I filled my sump to test it I did it with water from the laundry sink and the sump sweated so much I couldn't tell if it leaked or I was just seeing condensation. I had to empty it and fill it with warm water before I could tell the difference.

Game of Thrones was great!
The tank did not sweat at all. I still have the "barn doors" on. There is no glass, just screen so the room is the same temperature as outside: very cool. The water was probably warmer than the air temp.

Thrones is the only show I make a point of not missing. As always, it was great.

Unread 06/13/2016, 07:05 AM   #91
Rybren
Registered Member

Quote:
I had originally bought that at Reef Raft when I was in Toronto and have never seen any since.
I've been looking everywhere and haven't been able to find it either. It is definitely unique.

Unread 06/14/2016, 04:30 PM   #92
uvijaya
Registered Member

coming out great!

uvijaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 07:28 PM   #93
rockworm
A-counting guy

Thanks. I should be back to the build soon. Had a problem on another front today. The motherboard on my main computer died on me today. I had to resurect an older one until I can fix the main one or build a new one. The fun is getting the software up to date on the older one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvijaya View Post
coming out great!

Unread 06/14/2016, 10:53 PM   #94
arctictwist
Registered Member

Looking great so far, love the hoist to fix your problem. Following along for sure!

arctictwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 07:18 AM   #95
rockworm
A-counting guy

Thank you. The hoist frame came down yesterday.

It looks like it is time to call in the junk guys. I have been collecting all the construction refuse since the build started and planned to call them when the hoist frame came down. I have quite a pile beside the house and don't want the neighbours getting cranky because of the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictwist View Post
Looking great so far, love the hoist to fix your problem. Following along for sure!

Unread 06/15/2016, 10:02 AM   #96
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Very impressive build. Incredible job with the hoist for the tank. My wife would have killed me if she saw that in the house lifting a tank.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 10:13 AM   #97
rockworm
A-counting guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernam Invalid View Post
Very impressive build. Incredible job with the hoist for the tank. My wife would have killed me if she saw that in the house lifting a tank.
Thank you. My wife was seriously stressed while we were doing the lift. We had a couple neighbours over. Two were helping and two others were hoping to help. She was spending her time keeping them away from the tank. I did not want them getting injured should something untoward happen.

The tank is really in "my room", so it was not so bad for her. Had I tried this in the living room, she might not have been so cooperative. As much as she loves a reef, there is a limit to her tolerance of my doings.

Unread 06/15/2016, 04:14 PM   #98
fishguy306
Registered Member

You are off to a great start! Loving all the solutions you've come up with to problems so far, cant wait to see how it all progresses!

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 05:56 PM   #99
rockworm
A-counting guy

Thanks. Hopefully I have seen the last of the major challenges. If I make a little progress each day, I will be happy. The main thing is that I am still enjoying the build. Still a ways to go, but progress continues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy306 View Post
You are off to a great start! Loving all the solutions you've come up with to problems so far, cant wait to see how it all progresses!

Unread 06/15/2016, 07:32 PM   #100
rockworm
A-counting guy

I took a couple pictures of the "pile".

And a closer look at the side of the house:

The junk company is coming by tomorrow to clean up.

Quote:
Thank you. The hoist frame came down yesterday.

It looks like it is time to call in the junk guys. I have been collecting all the construction refuse since the build started and planned to call them when the hoist frame came down. I have quite a pile beside the house and don't want the neighbours getting cranky because of the mess.