Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Sullyman
Premium Member

Spa flex?

Question on spa flex, have a tank with spa flex and need to change pump.
I've got a feeling it has become rigid and wonder if heating it up, hair dryer or heat gun can straighten it out. If I have to replace it, I'll have to replume and that is trouble. Anyone have it crack while trying to do this?

Unread 11/16/2018, 12:42 PM   #2
mhurley
RC Staff

I warmed and straightened mine by soaking in a tub of hot water. Never had an issue.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 12:44 PM   #3
five.five-six
Registered Member

It might be prudent to have all the materials on hand to replace it before you begin to manipulate it. the stuff is inexpensive.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Sullyman
Premium Member

Thanks Mike but I can't soak it, it's already plumbed for about 5 years. Five.five-six I've got enough stuff to replumb if I have too, I have a pump to keep the water flowing.
I have to drain my sump clean it and kill a bulkhead, then I can start the temp pump.
And then I can see how bad the spa flex is????

Unread 11/16/2018, 02:02 PM   #5
mhurley
RC Staff

I don't know how I glossed over the fact that this was plumbed already...LOL....Sorry.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 06:54 AM   #6
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Do you have the spaflex going straight to a fitting into the pump? I have it go through true-union ball valve via fittings, and just swap fittings if I swap pumps (my backup used to be an Iwaki for when my reeflo conked. That has been addressed now tho.). Whatever you do, for the future I would suggest something like this. The spa-flex does get rigid. Of late I have gotten concerned as to whether it might fail at some point.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Sullyman
Premium Member

Joel it stays pretty strong, thought it would crack a couple of times. And I had 5 fails before one last attempt. Now I need my 60g cube to receive a new return pump. I'm thinking I'll use new spa flex on this one and avoid all the fun. I have a union and ball valve and will replumb from the union down to the pump. Got a lot of help from Albert and Shaun at Aquacave, got a pump that was too big and was able to take it back and get a smaller one this afternoon. Nice to have a warehouse of reefing goodies so close.
Mike I'll soak my new spa flex in the Tub!!!!