Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2017, 03:57 PM   #101
twitchy
Registered Member

My stock IM return pump died today. Took it out of the tank and cleaned it, and definitely noticed some stray voltage when I tested it. Turns out the pump housing leaked and the whole thing filled with water... really need to switch the tank over to a GFCI outlet.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but anyone else still running the stock pump, be careful not to get zapped.

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 06:59 AM   #102
twitchy
Registered Member

Some updates: Got the new sicce 1.5 return pump in, not as much flow as I was hoping for, but worlds better than the stock pump. Still leaving the power heads in the tank for extra flow. The increased water level in the main tank looks great and everything seems to enjoy the extra flow.

I also removed my under stand mounted BRS reactor and replaced it with the IM desktop reactor and seems to be working great, changing media is going to be super convenient from now on.

The mangroves are growing nicely, haven't really noticed any change in the tank though.

The AI prime seems to be giving me pretty good growth all around, but sps colors haven't really bounced back after the boiling and the move. Not sure if they will, or if I can even blame it on the light. Other than that the light has been great.

Lastly, the .stl for the dual float sensor bracket for the auto top off has been uploaded to thingiverse for you guys

Unread 05/28/2018, 09:32 PM   #103
RynosReef
Registered Member

Hey there! I hope the tank is still going well! I had a quick question. The tank dimensions are 24x20x12 correct? Does that include the chamber on the back? I've got the same tank on order and just want to make sure I know the exact footprint size for the stand I'm building.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS dominate
RynosReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 06:02 AM   #104
twitchy
Registered Member

All is going well, went through a rough patch when I got a Hawaiian white spotted puffer that went rouge and ate all my zoa/lps... Went back to the lfs and picked up a Chalk Baslet.

Those tank dimensions do include the back chamber, but I believe they are closer to 19 5/8 by 23 5/8, don't know if the actual dimensions are 50cm x60cm or what.

Good luck with the new tank

Unread 05/30/2018, 03:29 AM   #105
RynosReef
Registered Member

Good to hear and thanks! Looking forward to setting it up for sure.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS dominate
RynosReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 12:35 PM   #106
savageAJC
Registered Member

Tank is looking great! Any chance you have the link to the cabinet you ordered from Ikea? Thanks!

savageAJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2018, 12:51 PM   #107
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageAJC View Post
Tank is looking great! Any chance you have the link to the cabinet you ordered from Ikea? Thanks!
Thanks,
Here is a link to the Ikea section 24x24x30 base cabinet I used:
https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90265388/

I bought 2 white cabinet doors (not sure which, whatever shade of white that was closest to the base) and used 1 as a door and cut the other one to use as the top.

Unread 05/30/2018, 03:43 PM   #108
savageAJC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Thanks,
Here is a link to the Ikea section 24x24x30 base cabinet I used:
https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90265388/

I bought 2 white cabinet doors (not sure which, whatever shade of white that was closest to the base) and used 1 as a door and cut the other one to use as the top.
Thank you!

savageAJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2018, 07:36 AM   #109
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Looks good man. Any updates?

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 07:22 PM   #110
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Looks good man. Any updates?
Thanks man,
Not a whole lot new to report, printed out a couple random flow nozzles that someone designed off thingiverse, not sure how I feel about them yet. The design is really good, and the flow is random, but I think I need more flow going through the return, thinking about trying to fit a second pump in the back.

Got some new frags at wwc and rap and I'm picking up a superman goni and some red hornets tomorrow, will post some pictures when I get them in the tank.

As for equipment, everything else is the same at the moment, but I've been playing with the idea and making some rough sketches of a prurigen reactor or a mini skimmer. Space is limited with the IM reactor and the mangroves in the side chambers, so will have to get creative.
What do you guys think would be more beneficial, protein skimmer, or purigen?

Unread 06/08/2018, 05:39 AM   #111
twitchy
Registered Member

Also thinking about bailing on my waving hand anthelia colony to make room for my goni and some acans... So if anyone in the spacecoast area wants a big frag hit me up before it goes to waste.

Unread 06/10/2018, 06:32 PM   #112
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Good to hear it's still running smoothly. I would think purigen and water change be more than enough for your tank. Use the money you saved on a skimmer on coral. Lol

Unread 06/11/2018, 04:53 AM   #113
twitchy
Registered Member

Good thinking, and speaking of coral... Here's those frag shots I promised earlier.

Unread 06/22/2018, 04:40 PM   #114
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Looks good man

Unread 07/16/2018, 10:07 PM   #115
gkarshens
Registered Member

Looks great! I am hoping to set one up soon.

It's about time!
gkarshens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 07:46 AM   #116
Krush
Registered Member

Looking awesome! Let's get a FTS for July?!

Krush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 07:06 PM   #117
twitchy
Registered Member

Thanks guys, didn't make the July cut off, but will be taking a full tank shot tomorrow. Was going to tonight but moved some stuff around the the tank got cloudy.

Added a couple of new additions to the tank since the last update, printed out a light for my mangroves that attaches to the end of a rod made of a piece of black coat hanger. The led light is a eco Pico led strip, 10K. If anyone wants the plans for the light, let me know and I'll post them.

Latest addition to the tank is a submersible RGB led strip light I got of Amazon, have it just running the red and blue leds and it's growing chaeto surprisingly well in the rear chamber below the floss holder. So well it actually seems to be choking out my xenia rock, not 100% sure that's what's doing it, but after a week or so after I added it, the xenia stopped growing and started disappearing.

I have the chaeto light running 24/7 and the mangrove light runing 12/12.

Unread 09/20/2018, 04:18 PM   #118
schummelpilz
Registered Member

Hi,

I am following your build thread and was wondering whether you could help me with a few questions since I'm building my first tank (25g lagoon also).

Is this the right design for the filter floss holder with us for 3d printing? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2611072

Did the random flow nozzles work for you and do you still have the link? Did you make any other 3d prints for the lagoon?

Are you still running without a skimmer? How is this going for you? I'm thinking of using the icecap nano or an aquamaxx hob 1.5 since I want to have a handful of fish in there.

I like your aquascape. How much lbs of rock and sand did you get?

I really like the white cabinet and will do the same thing.

Thank you so much!

schummelpilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 12:50 PM   #119
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schummelpilz View Post
Hi,

I am following your build thread and was wondering whether you could help me with a few questions since I'm building my first tank (25g lagoon also).

Is this the right design for the filter floss holder with us for 3d printing? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2611072

Did the random flow nozzles work for you and do you still have the link? Did you make any other 3d prints for the lagoon?

Are you still running without a skimmer? How is this going for you? I'm thinking of using the icecap nano or an aquamaxx hob 1.5 since I want to have a handful of fish in there.

I like your aquascape. How much lbs of rock and sand did you get?

I really like the white cabinet and will do the same thing.

Thank you so much!
Thanks!
That is the correct floss holder design, haven't had any problems with them printed with abs.
I am still running the random flow nozzles, but I am not sure if they really add much to the tank, I think I would notice more of a difference if I was running more flow than the sicce 1.5.

As for things I've printed for the tank:
*Floss holders -posted to thingiverse
*Auto top off sensor bracket -also posted
*ATO tube holder- not my design, but off thingiverse
*The nozzles-not my design
*Mangrove light bracket- can post the plans if interested
*various equipment brackets/tools
So far it has been very useful for the aquarium, and haven't noticed any negative effects from the plastics.

I am still running the tank without a skimmer, I find a 5gal/week pwc keeps the nutrients in check. Not sure if the mangroves and cheato are doing much compared to the pwc. That being said I have been slacking on the water changes recently and so have some hair algea popping up. We will see how things go now that I am trying to reel the tank back in.

As for the # of rock and sand, I am not sure, the rock has been in various tanks and collected slowly overtime, so it's hard to say. The formation on the left side of the pictures started life as dry rock I broke apart and used jb water weld to construct the branching shape with for a Pico tank. I think I have about 20lbs of sand in the tank, but again it is a mix from old tanks and a 5lb bag of new sand, so I don't know for sure.

Good luck on your build, it's a great little tank

Unread 09/24/2018, 03:52 AM   #120
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Tank is looking great. Just be careful and not miss to many weekly water changes. It only takes about 3 weeks for the tank to turn and start looking bad. Lol it’s starting with my 12g nano.

Unread 10/01/2018, 03:21 PM   #121
schummelpilz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Thanks!
That is the correct floss holder design, haven't had any problems with them printed with abs.
I am still running the random flow nozzles, but I am not sure if they really add much to the tank, I think I would notice more of a difference if I was running more flow than the sicce 1.5.
Thanks so much! Your build thread and response has helped me a lot.

Regarding the random flow nozzles, I'm wondering whether they really make sense in a small tank like the 25 lagoon. My understanding is that the Sicce 1.5 is one of the largest return pumps on can fit in the back chamber, so the return flow couldn't be much higher? I don't have the tank set up yet, so I'm curious what you think? Is it worth getting those nozzles (~$50 for two)?

schummelpilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 04:43 PM   #122
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schummelpilz View Post
Thanks so much! Your build thread and response has helped me a lot.

Regarding the random flow nozzles, I'm wondering whether they really make sense in a small tank like the 25 lagoon. My understanding is that the Sicce 1.5 is one of the largest return pumps on can fit in the back chamber, so the return flow couldn't be much higher? I don't have the tank set up yet, so I'm curious what you think? Is it worth getting those nozzles (~$50 for two)?
I agree that the 1.5 is about the largest we can fit, I think the only other option would be to put in 2 slightly smaller pumps, one per nozzle. I haven't made that jump yet though.

The nozzles are cool, and they do add a little random flow that I can notice while looking at the softies... But I wouldn't pay $50 for them, if you know someone or have access to a library with a printer it'd probably be worth the $5-10 print cost, but 50 is steep for our little tanks... Get some frags

Unread 10/07/2018, 01:03 PM   #123
Smiley28
Registered Member

Hey could you share more info about lighting? I saw you have lps and sps so I’m curious about the following.
Light height off the water?
Par in the middle of the tank at the bottom and top and par around the edges?
Maybe a link to the saved settings or details on channel settings/percentages and times at particular settings?

Smiley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 04:11 PM   #124
btmedic04
Registered Member

Looking at the owners manual for that tank suggests that THIS pump will fit in the middle chamber, however you will have 0.2" of space width wide remaining. (your sicce 1.5 has 0.4" of space remaining width wise) Might be something to consider if you are looking for more flow from your return

Unread 10/09/2018, 05:16 PM   #125
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley28 View Post
Hey could you share more info about lighting? I saw you have lps and sps so I’m curious about the following.
Light height off the water?
Par in the middle of the tank at the bottom and top and par around the edges?
Maybe a link to the saved settings or details on channel settings/percentages and times at particular settings?
Hey, the light is a AI prime original, non-hd. I have it about 9" above the lip of the tank using the flex arm or ~10inches above the water. I don't have a par meter, but the light is sufficient and looks really clean on top of the tank. If I had to do it over again I might have gotten the ai26 to get a little more coverage, but it's not bad enough to convince me to do a second light.

Here is a screenshot of my light settings on the Android app, not a super complex plot I have going on. Dropped the marker at peak, running deep blues and violet at 100%, blues just over 90% and white at 60%. Had the whites most of the way up, but my zoas were not too happy with it, still getting used to how deceptively strong leds can be.

Hope this helps