Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2001, 06:32 PM   #1
shred5
Registered Member

coral of the week {acropora millepora}

Week #25 coral of the week {acropora millepora} . This coral is pictured on page 23 and 24 of the book the Corals a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung .

Every week I will post a new coral and I want you to post everything you know about this particular coral. Everything from common names, how hardy they are, water temp, water flow, lighting, water parameters, fraging, spawning, related corals, scientific names, feeding, best ways to ship, etc. Post your pictures for identification. Please tell us about your system so others can duplicate your success. Also email me for request on which corals you would like to see in this section.

Dave Polzin

Unread 06/27/2001, 08:25 PM   #2
MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha!

Oooh one of my favorite Acroporids. You're the "Coral Biographer", why don't you tell us about this beautiful coral?

Cancer is Les' enemy, cancer is my enemy, the enemy of something, something, friend, something, something...
Therefore Les is my friend - El Barto

Current Tank Info: Gone With The Wind
Unread 06/27/2001, 08:43 PM   #3
Adrian
Registered Member

Definitely one of my favorites fast grower, I mean fast, sometimes I think it outgrows my M.digitata. Comes in a variety of colors, mine is about a foot under 175 55k MH at the moment, been there for about 7 months and it has not lost any color, so in my case it adapts to different lighting levels seeing as this frag was grown under 400 watt Iwasakis. This coral has never been affected by RTN or white band so it may also be pretty disease resistant. I just got a yellow and a green frag last week, Im hoping they will turn out to be as cool as this one. Awesome Acro!

Current Tank Info: 120 sps tank, 2 400 watt iwasakis, 2 110 watt actinic VHO, mag 18 on CL w/ 2 1" Sea swirls, 50 gal sump/refugium, ASM G3 skimmer, geo reactor.
Unread 06/27/2001, 09:26 PM   #4
BerlinMethod.com
Registered Member

Another favorite of mine:

Regards,
Kris
www.berlinmethod.com

Unread 06/27/2001, 10:44 PM   #5
MtnDewMan
Premium Member

I love the Millepora ... Mine loves high light, high current. Fuzzy as can be in the tank ... Looks cool, I want more Here are a couple of pics of mine ....

Unread 06/28/2001, 05:21 AM   #6
simonh
Premium Member

Here's mine:

Mine is about 6" under BLV 250W 10,000K HQI double-ended metal halides. It is extremley fuzzy. Main branches are about 15mm diameter due to the extremley high flow it receives.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon, mainly Acropora dominated
Unread 06/28/2001, 05:22 AM   #7
RWD
Premium Member

I'm not positive but it sure looks like a millipora. This is a top view of my yellow millipora. I've had it for a few years now and have made many frags for friends. It even has a small crab living in it.

Unread 06/28/2001, 05:24 AM   #8
smiller
Premium Member

I have two of these. They only show polyps at night.

Unread 06/28/2001, 09:14 AM   #9
Niven
Premium Member

Mr. Shred,
How would I as an amatuer beable to identify this really cool coral? What should I look for? Is there any distinguishing characteristics? Are their coralites different than others? I've seen plenty of fuzzy acros, I'm sure they're not all Mille's.
Thank you,
Niven

Current Tank Info: Dried out tank :(
Unread 06/28/2001, 11:54 AM   #10
ATLANTIS
Premium Member

WOW, some very nice mellepora out there!!!