Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2018, 11:33 AM   #1
gargoylenest
Registered Member

need tips with anemone

ok, so I have a 180 gal. inwall aquarium, mixed with sps, lps and softies. I introduced an rose bubble tip anemone about 8 month ago. Now I got about 25 of its clone. some have started stinging some of my beloved SPS. The nems are seriously stuck into the rocks, cant even see their feet. I have tried pointing a pump at full load on them, tried with ice, right now I am trying to stick a pipe part on them, so they move up the pipe, but hasnt worked for the last 4 days yet. Now I am thinking about committing a massacre. They are just taking over my tank and I am on the loosing side. I dont care about reselling them. IMAO, they are now worse than aptaisia. Has anybody tried to kill them with some aptaisia products of some kind? I got some SPS that took years to grow, and those bastard just go and bleach them. thanks

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 10:47 AM   #2
dmsprague
Registered Member

I have about 40 but no corals in the tank most of them are in so I don't mind. I have spent upwards of an hour each removing a few most though have the foot so far into the rock there is no way to get them loose while in the tank. I think the problem with killing then in the tank is dead nem makes one heck of a mess and I would be afraid of trashing the tank. I wonder if you could remove the rocks they are on and then try removing them and put the rocks back in?

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 11:02 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

If you have that many clones from one nem in that short of time there's a good chance something is not cool w/ your tank, that is some seriously excessive splitting.

I agree they will release toxins if killed or dying in a tank and can foujl your tank.

Post pics so we can see what's going on

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
If you have that many clones from one nem in that short of time there's a good chance something is not cool w/ your tank, that is some seriously excessive splitting.

I agree they will release toxins if killed or dying in a tank and can foujl your tank.

Post pics so we can see what's going on
+1, yup somethings out of whack, in my humble experience, the less water quality is maintained, the more they split!

Can you post your numbers?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 02:09 PM   #5
gargoylenest
Registered Member

I had an issue with a defective TDS meter telling me a 30some ppm water was 0ppm for a couple of months. changed TDS meter, changed all filter. now its back to normal, they dont split that much anymore and are getting bigger, but I am still stuck with the problem. the bigger they get, the nearer they get to my SPSs. I dont have the numbers with me right now

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 02:57 PM   #6
OzIA
Registered Member

I was going to ask this in the forum but then i saw this post.

I have a bubble tip on my back glass that I would like to remove or move, without killing it. Is this possible? If so, how?

OzIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 05:11 PM   #7
dmsprague
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzIA View Post
I was going to ask this in the forum but then i saw this post.

I have a bubble tip on my back glass that I would like to remove or move, without killing it. Is this possible? If so, how?
On the glass it should be easy to remove with your finger nail or thin piece of plastic to work it's foot loose. It's when they get on the rocks that it get tough to remove them.

Unread 11/08/2018, 01:14 AM   #8
dkevink
Registered Member

You are lucky, mine just keep getting bigger. In set 2 of them up in anenomes only tank with only a large clam. They move often, but no splits yet after 4 months. Hoping to get tank full, no luck yet.

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 03:36 AM   #9
pshootr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkevink View Post
You are lucky, mine just keep getting bigger. In set 2 of them up in anenomes only tank with only a large clam. They move often, but no splits yet after 4 months. Hoping to get tank full, no luck yet.
Maybe set one of them up and another tank and use tap water for your water changes. LOL

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 08:38 AM   #10
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkevink View Post
You can induce a split by stress, feed heavy is common trick to do that

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 11:53 PM   #11
dkevink
Registered Member

I am ok with just 2 big ones for now. Easy to keep track of them. I will try to feed them more often to see if that works. Thanks

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 06:18 PM   #12
dmsprague
Registered Member

If I move a nice big healthy one to a different tank I'll have two in the morning. Not so with the smaller ones. I used to feed mine a lot but quit a couple of months ago and they still seem to keep growing.