Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Levito
Moved On

Vodka Dosing during Cycling?

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading about Vodka dosing, and what I've read so far has me really intrigued by the idea. But I've seen no information on anyone doing it during the cycling process, so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to start during cycling, or if it would be better to wait until the cycle is complete. My basic feeling is that you'd want to wait until after the cycle is complete, as you might not want to reduce NO3 while there's still high levels of NH4 in the system. Can anyone shed some light as to whether or not it would be a good idea to start vodka dosing during the cycling process?

Thanks!

Levito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

You're going to want to wait a lot longer than the cycle, you're going to stunt a lot of beneficial bacteria if you do it so early. Wait at least a good 6 months.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Genetics
Registered Member

Levito, the notion of organic dosing is to help control a problem that has not been adequately solved by other methodologies that have been shown to succeed, such as water changes, wet skimming, GFO, refugiums, etc. With an initial tank I would let it cycle and then get into a routine of waterchanges and so on. If then you start having issues with nitrates/phosphates or algae that cannot be controlled then move to these substitutes.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

x3. Every tank is different, subtly. Be sure you 'know' your tank and understand its chemistry (keeping a log book of all your tests and changes will be very useful to you) before you dose anything.

In general there are 3 things you dose: alkalinity buffer, calcium, and magnesium. If you are fish-only you still may need to do it, in a sense, but your weekly water changes should go a long way to keep up with the chemistry, since fish and softies don't suck up calcium the way stony coral does [continually unbalancing the equation]. If you own and apply and log those three tests, by the time 6 months rolls around you'll be well-informed on the behavior of your unique tank, and you'll have had time to read a lot more.
Congratulations on reading seriously in this hobby; and I wish you a long continuance. Whether you choose fish or fish and corals, serious reading is a great asset and definitely saves you money. Go through all the notes marked with * at the start of this forum, and good luck to you.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2010, 06:03 PM   #5
KeMo
Registered Member

I would say you are jumping the gun . Slow down..
Learn how to keep your water stable and your animals happy first.

Blue Mandarin,BTA,Mushroom,ToadStool,Torch,cuc

Current Tank Info: 30 gal Reef
KeMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, nh4, no3, vodka dosing