Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2010, 11:54 PM   #1
juniorjose
Registered Member

Re-building my 29 gallon......

I have a 29 gallon tank that's setup with about 40 pounds of live rock in it. I have about 11 corals in there all soft and LPS with 130 watts of pc lights, a maroon clownfish im looking to get rid of later on, and a yellow damsel.

Im planning to build a 20 gallon sump/fuge to add more filteration and water volume for the tank and I can add the skimmer that I got from a reefer on here. Im also going to add a 175w halide to keep more corals in there.

I need help on building a sump. my tank is not drilled and I know I will have to get an overflow box. Is there any specific one i should get?...what im most worried about is that, will the tank flood somehow by adding a sump and overflow to the tank?

anyone know a place were i can get cheap baffles cut?

any help is welcome

thanks

Unread 06/27/2010, 12:25 AM   #2
ReeferChris
Registered Member

you can always add a glass-holes over flow, they take up very little space and work great.

ReeferChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Cheesus
Moved On

Depends on where you live. There's a glass shop near me (Kendall) that sells your average baffle for about 7-10$.

I'm rebuilding my 29g too. I'm working on a stand today and was thinking about adding an overflow but decided not too. I have a remora skimmer and that works fine for me. To eliminate your concern with flooding, measure the amount of water that will drain in a power failure and never add more than that in your sump. Every tank with a sump has a possibility of flooding.

Cheesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 08:14 AM   #4
96b.boy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus View Post
Depends on where you live. There's a glass shop near me (Kendall) that sells your average baffle for about 7-10$.

I'm rebuilding my 29g too. I'm working on a stand today and was thinking about adding an overflow but decided not too. I have a remora skimmer and that works fine for me. To eliminate your concern with flooding, measure the amount of water that will drain in a power failure and never add more than that in your sump. Every tank with a sump has a possibility of flooding.
also need to add a siphon break to the return line

96b.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 11:35 PM   #5
juniorjose
Registered Member

sorry forgot to mention that im in the hallandale area...sometimes im in miami too

Reefchris: what is a glass hole overflow?

cheesus: thanks for the advice
any recommendation for an overflow box or any would do?

Unread 06/28/2010, 09:08 AM   #6
ReeferChris
Registered Member

The glass-holes overflow is an overflow that sits inside the tank. You have to drill a hole in the back of the aquarium for it to work. But with this overflow you don't have to worry about using a siphon which sometimes will loose their siphon and create a huge wet mess when the aquarium overflows. Check them out at www.glass-holes.com so you get a better idea of what im talking about.

-Chris

Unread 06/28/2010, 02:49 PM   #7
juniorjose
Registered Member

chris: i see what ur saying. didnt want to drill anything though.

Unread 06/28/2010, 10:02 PM   #8
ReeferChris
Registered Member

yea i don't blame you. I had mine installed when the aquarium was made, so no drilling for me yet.

As for the sump try to go as big as you can, later on you will appreciate this, as it can also be used if you ever upgrade. As for the design, look around there are a lot of different ideas floating around RC that you can play around with. A good starting point is to but your skimmer area to one side, the refugium to the other and the return section in the middle. This way you can control the flow to the refugium. Once you have the design in your head and measure out the size you need for the baffles then you can have them cut to the size you need, also it would be a good idea to get the glass shop to polish at least the sides that will be exposed so you don't cut yourself.