Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2014, 06:39 AM   #1
Master Kyle 297
Reef Freak

Talking Stock for 300g plywood reef?

I just built a 300g plywood reef tank and I'm figuring out what stock I can put with vibrant colors. So far I want a ritteri anemone with percula clownfish and a blue hippo tang but i'm not sure on the other stock which is ironic because i've been in this hobby for year. Just want some input and opinions. Its going to be a mixed reef but mostly soft coral and i like the look of regal angels so i guess that's a start. If you guys are interested I'll make a build thread of the tank. Thanks.

Master Kyle 297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 09:11 AM   #2
jgalen0025
Registered Member

I would love to see pics of the build. I always wanted to start a plywood build but never trusted it. Is the liquid rubber white or black? or did you use fiber glass. More details Please

jgalen0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Master Kyle 297
Reef Freak

i used fiberglass on the seams and used a two part epoxy called pond shield. will make a build thread later in the week

Unread 03/24/2014, 03:11 PM   #4
State_of_Mind
Registered Member

Oo you have a lot of choices. The Red Sea Regal angel is beautiful. I think a school of maybe 5 yellow tangs would look really cool and good for algae maintenance. Also a school of anthias would be sweet and colorful. A melanarus wrasse or a red coris wrasse (esp when fully grown) are eye catchers, but can pick on shrimp. Good luck on stocking!

I think you should make a thread. I've seen diy plywood tanks and thought they were pretty creative ways to make your own large tank at a fraction of the cost.

State_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Master Kyle 297
Reef Freak

I will definitely start a thread and I just want lots of vibrant colors like a chevron tang and regal angel. Maybe a small school of banggai cardinals? How about a harem of leopard wrasse?

Unread 03/25/2014, 02:37 PM   #6
State_of_Mind
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kyle 297 View Post
I will definitely start a thread and I just want lots of vibrant colors like a chevron tang and regal angel. Maybe a small school of banggai cardinals? How about a harem of leopard wrasse?
Wow chevron tang right on! +1 on the leopard wrasses! One of my fav fish. One of my lfs has mostly wrasses in his display and has a few leopard wrasses. Maybe try different types, male/female pair & ornate & potters. As for the school of banggai cardinals..if you really like them go for it. I have one, but I don't find them colorful/interesting enough to have a group or school of them.

State_of_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Master Kyle 297
Reef Freak

Alright well I decided I'm just going to transfer everything from my 90 to the 300 so I thought back on the fish I want and came up with this:
Flame angel, Squamipinnis anthias, blue hippo tang, desjardini tang, yellow tang, marine betta, regal angel, Copperband butterfly, percula/ocellaris clown, mandarin dragonet, magnificent foxface, Longnose hawk, achilles tang, and a clown tang.

I wasn't sure about these fish as well:
Heniochus butterfly, leopard wrasse, mystery wrasse, green Chromis, and banggai cardinals

Unread 03/26/2014, 08:47 PM   #8
jimmy n
Registered Member

I was under the impression that a DIY plywood tank done well didn't equate to great cost savings. Would like to enlightened. Pictures please?

jimmy n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Master Kyle 297
Reef Freak

i opened up my build thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2394969

Tags
300 gallon tank, plywood aquarium, reef aquarium