Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2014, 10:01 AM   #101
KCFITZ78
Top Prospect

Does Erythromycin work?

Unread 03/13/2014, 06:45 PM   #102
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
I'm planning on doing this treatment when I acquire a gigantea. What kind of light during the treatment process? Does it need to be strong MH light during the treatment? Wouldn't the strong light makes the cipro dissolve too fast and not give it enough time to treat the infection?
Does anyone actually check this thread? lol

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 07:26 PM   #103
OrionN
Moved on

I used full light when I treat if I can. Other people seem to use less light.
I used a 40W LED plus morning sunlight before but now just use the 40W LED on top of my 20 gal tank
Light break down Cipro so treated and add med at begin of night cycle

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2014, 09:33 PM   #104
AD87
Registered Member

I have used a single household power compact screw light bulb in the past.

AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2014, 09:27 PM   #105
prior20
Registered Member

I can get a Pharos led fixture to use but I'm not sure how to set the intensity to the news liking. Should I be worried about too much intensity? Is there an ideal PAR range?

prior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2014, 10:49 PM   #106
ir_danno22
Registered Member

Interesting read knowing Cipro kills off a wide range of good and bad bacteria.

Current Tank Info: Nanocube 28DX reef with AI sol, Aqueon 40 gallon breeder Feb 2011.
ir_danno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2014, 10:56 PM   #107
prior20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prior20 View Post
I can get a Pharos led fixture to use but I'm not sure how to set the intensity to the news liking. Should I be worried about too much intensity? Is there an ideal PAR range?
Sorry for the autocorrect meant to say the nems liking not news.

Unread 04/01/2014, 05:01 AM   #108
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir_danno22 View Post
Interesting read knowing Cipro kills off a wide range of good and bad bacteria.
Antibiotic in the tank is bad. Because of this, they should be treat in the Bare treatment tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/02/2014, 05:18 AM   #109
OrionN
Moved on

The last two anemones I treated did not response well to Cipro. They continue to deflates for 3 days after on Cipro so I switch antibiotic.
I used co-trimazole (brand name Bactrum DS or Septra DS), each containing 800 mg sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg trimethoprim, to treat them.
Web search indicated that these medication also break down in the environment by photo-degradation. There is a Master Thesis at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, that look into degradation of various antibiotics in the environment.

In human, Septra DS excreted unchanged in the urine and goes down the sewage system. Dose in human is 1 tablet twice a day.

The regiment I used is 1 Septra DS for 10 gal of water. 100% water change every night as the light turn out. One week of treatment. The anemones did not deflate at all after the first day of switching antibiotic. I watch them for 3 days after I discontinue the antibiotic without problem. I put them back in the DT system last night.

Unread 04/06/2014, 03:12 PM   #110
rayn
Registered Member

I picked up a haddoni almost a week ago. Wondering what determines or justifies treating with cipro? Is it the mouth gaping, not attaching, constant deflating and reflating, combination? Read through the thread and didn't really see a answer other then don't treat just to treat at one point.

Unread 04/06/2014, 04:20 PM   #111
OrionN
Moved on

I would encourage treatment if the anemone is sick
What constitute a sick anemone is your question. A veteran anemone keeper will know when an anemone is sick. This is variable and different for each species. If you don't know, your best bet is taken picture when he is at his worst and at his best. Post online and ask for advises.
There is not one or two or three thinks that would point out a sick anemone. However, repeat deflation is universally regard as sign of a sick anemone.

Unread 04/06/2014, 04:41 PM   #112
rayn
Registered Member

Thanks.

Mine attached within hours of going in the tank. It has yet to deflate, I believe that is a good sign. The mouth is open on occasion, but not by much. I don't think you could even fit a dime in there. So I presume that is good. The biggest issue I see so far is light. When they are off it is full with tentacles out. Lights come on and it kinda shrinks up as if trying to get away. They are led turned down as much as possible and three layers of egg crate to protect.

I had originally planned to great with cipro, but now I am second guessing the need to with this one.

Unread 04/10/2014, 10:12 PM   #113
prior20
Registered Member

Mine also started off well so I put off ordering the cipro. Almost a week later it started to deflate and now I wish I had the cipro right away. Now I have the anemone in a treatment tank and have to wait until tomorrow for the cipro to arrive. My advice would be just to have it handy in case you ever need it.

Unread 04/12/2014, 08:06 AM   #114
Chrisq0904
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by prior20 View Post
Mine also started off well so I put off ordering the cipro. Almost a week later it started to deflate and now I wish I had the cipro right away. Now I have the anemone in a treatment tank and have to wait until tomorrow for the cipro to arrive. My advice would be just to have it handy in case you ever need it.

I agree with you on this. I almost was in the same situation but I was able to get some cipro from a local reefer. I ordered fish flox for when I ran out but what I got before seems to be enough. But I now have a full bottle in case this ever happens again.

Chrisq0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:41 AM   #115
hypnoj
Registered Member

Bactrim DS is also a pretty inexpensive antibiotic with better coverage then Cipro. I'm glad to see that someone has already tried it out. I'm picking up a H. Mag today and I plan on putting a quarter tablet of Bactrim right in the bag before I bring it home. I'll then acclimate it to my DT and place it in. If it starts going down hill after this, then I'll pull it back out, place in QT and begin medicating it. Wish me luck!

hypnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 02:05 PM   #116
OrionN
Moved on

If you look at the spectrum of activity, Cipro is better at taken care of water related infections in HUMAN. In anemones who know. I just choose Cipro becasue it is effective in human for water related infection, cheap and easy to get. Septra DS is OK but not as broad spectrum.
I used it before also and it seem effective the one time I used it. I added 1 Septra DS for 10 gal of water and change 100% of the water each day. Septra did not disolves as easy as Cipro in salt water. I got clumps in the water for 4 hrs after trying to disolves it in the QT. By the next morning everything have disolved.

Unread 04/18/2014, 02:20 PM   #117
TinManx
Registered Member

I am currently treating a large S. gignatea with cipro. I am on the 5th day of treatment. The anemone hasn't deflated in 3 days, and the amount of black pellets being released has diminished significantly. However there is still some black pellets being released. Should I continue treatment until the pellets stop, or do you think I am OK to cease treatment and return to the DT? Are the pellets just dead symbiotic bacteria, or something else do you think?

TinManx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 02:37 PM   #118
hypnoj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If you look at the spectrum of activity, Cipro is better at taken care of water related infections in HUMAN. In anemones who know. I just choose Cipro becasue it is effective in human for water related infection, cheap and easy to get. Septra DS is OK but not as broad spectrum.
I used it before also and it seem effective the one time I used it. I added 1 Septra DS for 10 gal of water and change 100% of the water each day. Septra did not disolves as easy as Cipro in salt water. I got clumps in the water for 4 hrs after trying to disolves it in the QT. By the next morning everything have disolved.
It won't matter what species it's in. Assuming that the medication can get into the tissues it will kill the organisms that it is designed to kill. Cipro can kill lots of organisms, but they're mostly in one family (Gram -). Bactrim can't kill as many Gram - species as Cipro, but it has greater Gram + killing potential. I will admit though, when you look at what's species are Gram -, they're the kind that you'd expect to find in water (proteus etc); so Cipro more then likely is more effective for saltwater bacteria types

Unread 04/18/2014, 02:48 PM   #119
OrionN
Moved on

Microorganisms that infect one species or related group of species often do not infect animals of another species. What infect human does not necessary infect anemone.
For example, bird flu does not normally infect human but can wipe out a bird population. When through mutation it jumps to infect human, it can be very virulent because human never been exposed to similar virus before.
Waterborne infections in humans are mostly gram negative bacterial.

Unread 04/18/2014, 05:48 PM   #120
hypnoj
Registered Member

Quote:
Microorganisms that infect one species or related group of species often do not infect animals of another species. What infect human does not necessary infect anemone.
For example, bird flu does not normally infect human but can wipe out a bird population. When through mutation it jumps to infect human, it can be very virulent because human never been exposed to similar virus before.
Waterborne infections in humans are mostly gram negative bacterial.
I'm not talking about what infects humans and what infects other creatures, I'm merely stating which antibiotics kills which organisms. It's obvious that certain bacteria infect certain creatures; whether it's human/anemone or not, has nothing to do with it. Certain antibiotics kill certain bacteria; since no one on this forum has cultured these bacterial strains, it's wise to use broad spectrum antibiotics. Broad spectrum means that it kills multiple different strains of bacteria in different species groups, ie, gram -, gram +, aerobic, anaerobic, etc.

Unread 04/18/2014, 11:38 PM   #121
OrionN
Moved on

No, but all the pathogen for human that associated with water are gram negative. I would guess that bacterial that infect anemones are likely gram negative also. Also Cipro have good gram positive coverage also.

Unread 04/19/2014, 05:43 AM   #122
hypnoj
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
No, but all the pathogen for human that associated with water are gram negative. I would guess that bacterial that infect anemones are likely gram negative also. Also Cipro have good gram positive coverage also.
Yup, I agree. That's why Cipro is such a good choice.

Unread 04/25/2014, 11:42 PM   #123
KindCorals
Registered Member

Do you think this might work for treating infected ricordea yumas? Everyone seems to think its a bacterial infection when yuma (especially pink yumas like mine) start with brown jelly, get a hole near the mouth and melt away. It went from 2 pinks to a green and now another green yuma. I might try cipro since these are anemone corals.

KindCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2014, 06:25 AM   #124
OrionN
Moved on

Why not try it and let us know.
Somebody should try to treat an infected Elegance also

Unread 04/30/2014, 10:56 AM   #125
MachPilot
Registered Member

It should not be a problem. Infection is infection. Organisms are not selective for which they infect.

Bacteria gets a foothold in traumatic wounds and stressful conditions just like people.

Cipro is better then E-mycin because it has a broader spectrum of coverage.
You could also use Bactrim (would need ot treat in the nighttime cycle due ot light degradation)

In a perfect world, dripping vancomycin would be THE definitive drug of choice for any anemone/invert but its not available outside of the hospital and requires dripping and maintenance of peaks and troughs.

Cipro is really the easist to use.

MachPilot is offline   Reply With Quote