Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2010, 03:48 PM   #26
JeF4y
El Conquistidor

I read a lot of crashes immediately following the OP blindly following advice they read on forums or are given by LFS without doing any additional research.

People trying to do things too quickly is a big contributor as well.

Don't add anything to your tank without knowing exactly what it is, how it will interact with everything you have and WANT in your tank, and how to care for it. Sure, that Cuke may eat some algae, but do you understand the risk of it nuking your tank? Etc...

Bottom line, blindly trust no one. Do your own research (and lots of it) from multiple sources. And don't expect anything to happen fast except for a crash...

Want a Cleaner Wrasse? Consider a shower! ;-)

Current Tank Info: 60 Cube!
JeF4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 04:19 PM   #27
superfirefly
Registered Member

They were the black plastic. On one the side blew out the other the top popped off.

superfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 08:06 PM   #28
BiggRon
Registered Member

I've had my system set up for a good while now and we lost our power for 3 days. I saved most of my fish all except 2 and now I can't find them. All of the coral died and my water is cloudy any suggestions about what to do or use?

BiggRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 08:07 PM   #29
BiggRon
Registered Member

Somebody told me to use a good bacteria product that keeps the tank from cycling and a filter sock

BiggRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 11:41 PM   #30
ScooterMom
Registered Member

Unexplained tank crash

I am devastated.
This morning I found everything dead in my tank, (with a few exceptions). Everything was fine last night at midnight. I lost three seahorses, one high fin goby and my cleaner shrimp. Also, there were a few dead worms in the tank (they looked like small earthworms) that I didn't even know were there, and many tiny thin white worms (never seen them before either) stuck on the glass.
The hermits crabs and tube worms survived, also my watchman goby is still hanging in there. I am not sure about the corals yet, they have shriveled up and I can't tell.
All the parameters are fine- no ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite, the pH (8.3) and temperature were good. The filter was working.
BUT I had just come home from vacation and the tank was pretty dirty when I got home. I cleaned everything out and changed about 30% of the water. I used saltwater that I had made up before I left.
I am at a loss to explain what happened. Does anyone have any ideas?

ScooterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 12:15 AM   #31
Mavrk
Registered Member

The biggest ones I usually read about are heaters sticking on, and disease from lack of QT.

One person said they had washed their hands in anti-bacterial soap before putting their hand in the tank. The soap killed the beneficial bacteria and caused a cycle. Many deaths, but not a full crash. I don't know if that was the true reason.

Mavrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 07:29 PM   #32
onegreenray
Registered Member

My tank crash was due to a large clam spawning in the tank while out at a movie. in turn fouling the water and setting my sps to bleach and continue to foul the water. love coming home to the smell of low tide in the living room. first time in 8 years has this happened.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote