Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2010, 11:19 PM   #1
samdaman
Registered Member

Im curious about salt.

DISCLAIMER: JUST WONDERING NEVER SAID I WAS GOING TO USE IT.

That being said :P I was wondering how different the makeup in marine tank salt and pool salt is. And if someone where to try what would happen? Thanks Guys

samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 11:36 PM   #2
dublo8
Registered Member

Pretty much everything is different. except well.. the salt part. Salt produced for our tanks is chemically similar to sea water. Most manufacturers have different ideas of what sea water should include, some go above and beyond sea water's chemical make up to create what they think would be the best combination of essential elements, calcium, magnesium etc just to name a few.

The idea behind pool salt is to also keep the pool clean. So there are other chemicals in the mix to control any type of bacteria etc. to make it simple it keeps the pool clean when you pee in it. It also doesn't require the use of chlorine which most pools use to keep it sanitary.

obviously your smart enough not to use it but maybe look up some pool salt online and find the chemical make up of it. You can than compare that to some reef crystal or some other reef salt. You will find them nothing alike.

Unread 10/15/2010, 11:44 PM   #3
samdaman
Registered Member

hmm thanks for the reply. does this look correct for the makeup of natural salt?

samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2010, 04:39 AM   #4
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

Fwiw terr are people that do a diy salt mix. There are also some that wil buy something like rc and substitute a percentage of the "good" stuff with plain mortona non iodized salt. For a fowlr I read this isn't necessarily a bad move. We get it cheap enough with our club discount that I figure it isn't worth getting all the components to truly mix my own.

Unread 10/16/2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Chris27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdaman View Post
hmm thanks for the reply. does this look correct for the makeup of natural salt?
Yep - looks about right. One thing to note is that in the hobby we measure salinity in ppt (35 ppt), vs. breaking out the different chlorides as listed in the chart. Also, we measure alk a little differently by way of hardness (ie 8-10 dKH).

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2010, 07:42 AM   #6
scubasteve06
Jeeper Reefer

I don't think mixing table salt and water will get you NSW, it may taste salty, but it will be lacking the major elements that NSW has.

scubasteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, pool salt, reef, salt