Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Jboulerice
Registered Member

My new baby: 40 Gallon Rimless Cube

Hey everyone, due to lack of space in my all-glass 30 Gallon extra tall I decided to finally upgrade my system to a 22x22 by 20" Tall Rimless Cube. The front glass is starfire and I'm waiting on seals to dry before trimming. The overflow is to be installed soon. I'll be building a custom stand as soon as I get back from a short vacation. Pics to follow... the build process post tank completion.

I definitely wanted swimming room for my wrasses and a shallower tank after having to reach into a 24" deep tank that was only 30 gallons was not fun.

Let me know what you guys think I'll be parting out some frags in the transition so expect some for trade/sale pics later.

Anyone want my old 30Gallon Extra Tall and custom stand let me know, I can post picts once every things transferred into the new tank

From My New 40 Gallon Rimless Cube

Jboulerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 09:19 AM   #2
WhoDey64
Registered Member

Very nice, do you polish all the edges yourself or buy it with it already done?

WhoDey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Jgoal55
Registered Member

nice tank...great size!

Current Tank Info: Being set-up. Timeline: One day.
Jgoal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 10:06 AM   #4
eznet2u
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey64 View Post
Very nice, do you polish all the edges yourself or buy it with it already done?
Look in the upper left of the second picture, behind the tank.

eznet2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Polished by a shop, had the help of henry from reef aquarium with assembling. Looks good so far gonna have the seals trimmed today or tomorrow and next week hopefully have the overflow in. I'm gonna work on the stand later because I want it to match my furniture like i did with my old tank. I'll keep you all posted as this thing gets ready for water. Anyone got any ideas for a good pump to circulate the return from the sump I need to build?

Unread 11/05/2009, 12:18 PM   #6
CoRPS
Big Time Reefer

What size glass is that?

CoRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Its 1/2"

Unread 11/06/2009, 05:26 PM   #8
AquamanE
Registered Member

nice dimensions!

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Yeah I've been deliberating on the size forever since I wanted to keep my existing rockwork central and allow my wrasses to swim around and in the rockwork. It also makes the coral more of a centerpiece to my room then a box lined with rocks like most tanks I'm really against linning the back of the tank with rockwork and making a shelving for coral I prefer a sculptural aquascaping with strong diagonal lines, check an older thread I put from pictures I took with my underwater camera

Unread 11/11/2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Update: Just Cleaned Glass and Had Resealed the seams with a thin bead, Tank has been drilled for overflow and return bulkheads. I should have the glass coming in this week for the overflow box and then it will be a matter of plumbing the tank, I still also need to build the stand, wait until you guys see what I have planned...

Unread 11/11/2009, 11:15 AM   #11
786marco
Registered Member

nice tank jimmy hope some lps and sps soon with you 250 watt mh

786marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Jboulerice
Registered Member

chill with the SPS, only LPS in this baby, maybe some monti's but thats about it...

Unread 11/25/2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Jboulerice
Registered Member

NEW PICTURES!! TANK IS HOME, I'm in the process of building the stand for my aquarium as I want it to exactly match my bedset. I'm probably going to go to RoomToGo Outlet in Hialeah to pick up an old messed up piece for the majority of the panels and trim and I spent about 18$ so far on the frame 2x4's 2x2's and 2x3's. If I'm lucky I'll keep the stand under 50$ which would be sweet because I'm looking for a suitable sump or wetdry (ANYONE GOT ONE?)

But heres the pictures,

I threw in a picture of my existing tank that will make its transition into a much more spacious home since the hight of the extra tall 30 is just a little useless since my wrasses seem to not care too much with swimming in the upper level of the tank.

I also need to buy a aquamedic overflow comb or something to replace the black egg-crate on the overflow to keep my wrasses's from getting sucked down. Anyone have any suggestions for a lid or if its really necessary to keep my wrasses from flopping out, they don't seem to jump to much but i know my long-fin fairy wrasse is a bully and could at some-point catalyst a jump from one of his victims of harassment

Unread 11/25/2009, 01:00 PM   #14
imarkspeed
Registered Member

so.................. how much u want for that lol j/k but that is what i want !! nice job

imarkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Jboulerice
Registered Member

how much for what? because the 30 Gallon and stand are for sale at like lets say 100$ with internal wetdry tank and stand

Unread 11/25/2009, 01:36 PM   #16
imarkspeed
Registered Member

do u have a pic of it ? is it rimless?

imarkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Um its not rimless its a 30 gallon allglass extra tall tank, with a subcurrent internal wet-dry, and a custom stand I built. the tank i can let go for 30, filter for 20, and stand for 50 but a reasonable offer wont be refused since I'm gonna need to clear the space once the transfer is complete, I'll throw in some goodies too like a TOC meter for an RO System. PM if anyones interested

* Theres also a picture of the tank up already its the one of the tank thats running (3rd Picture)

Last edited by Jboulerice; 11/25/2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: forgot picture
Unread 11/30/2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Hey everyone, I'm getting a little worried with this Rimless switch, I'm going from a glass lid to a open top when I transition to the 40 Gallon, do you guys think I'm going to have issues with my yellow corris wrasse, christmas wrasse, and bluesided fairy wrasse are gonna commit suicide, they usually dont do much of flopping out and my tank actually no longer has the glass lid? Any suggestions? Also would anthias be considered jumpers, if not I might just swap a school of Anthias but I love my wrasses.

Unread 11/30/2009, 03:41 PM   #19
nstiesi
Registered Member

you could try a top like this:

The mesh is VERY thin and light nylon.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef Peninsula, 30g sump/fuge, 350w HID 15k Iwasaki
nstiesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 04:58 PM   #20
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Eh I'd rather try cutting some glass to fit if I'm going to top the tank, has anyone seen rimless tanks with glass tops, I'd need some bracket to support the glass kinda like the solanas have but my glass is 1/2" thick

Unread 02/08/2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Guys its been a while but i got a little motivation and decided to start up my tank after some disasters that probably be avoided with larger water volume. So I purchase some furniture to strip the trim and match my stand to my tank, the frame is unique that its free standing unlike most stands. I'd have to say overall it came out amazing, im going to home depot tonight to pick up some stain and some wood filler to sand out any imperfections from nails etc.

The stand consists of 4 legs made from 2x 2x3's and a web of dowels, stainless steel deck screws and 2x4's. I skinned it with 1/4" plywood and the trim that came off the room2go furniture i stripped. The wetdry is locked in place by a shelving subfloor leaving the wetdry supported only by the 2x4s incase any leaks happen it wont rot out the stand or potentially flood a ballast. I have about 3' from the pump to outlet planned so my magdrive 7 will be pumping 480 gph. I'm going to finish the stand off with glass doors that i plan on etching with a glass etching liquid. To seal the deal I might get some blue rope light and run it inside so that the tank and stand glow during night cycle.

Early Construction:

Unread 02/08/2010, 09:50 AM   #22
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Getting to the finish, the wetdry will be held in place by recessing it with a sheet of 1/2 plywood as a shelve for my ballast and other drygoods.

Unread 02/09/2010, 12:47 AM   #23
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Progress... I did some rough sanding to match up all the different edges on the skins and legs, I cant get the arches on the sides perfect but they wont be very visible anyways. I finished the night by applying wood filler to cover finishing nails, screws and basically shave any edges from all the layers of 2x4's, plywood and trim piece for a real clean appearance. Tomorrow calls for some light sanding to clean up the wood filler, addition of slide out tray, and staining the inside of the frame.

I was going to abandon the idea of a tray that can be pulled out for holding frags just prior to gluing, however I figured it was easily attainable and i'll be using some scrap 1/2" plywood i had laying around for the shelf. I'm looking into cutting boards or something so i can contain any mess to line the shelf.

Unread 02/09/2010, 12:49 AM   #24
Jgoal55
Registered Member

great work.....keep the pics coming...from the looks of it, your tank might be up before mine too....lol

Current Tank Info: Being set-up. Timeline: One day.
Jgoal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 01:09 AM   #25
Jboulerice
Registered Member

Im hoping to have my corals in by sunday, I'm trying to give away my old setup practically. I'd like to think I could get the doors in but the etching on the glass could take a while to prepare the stencil. I'll probably have to use a underwater picture of me and my girl so she doesnt urinate or pour bleach in my tank rather than pictures of past livestock for the design. I was thinking of doing some masked designs for the stains but realized it would fail horribly because pine or plywood is so absorbent it wouldn't have clean edges.

Tags
40 gallon, cube, rimless, starfire