Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2018, 03:42 PM   #1
kerrywnm1
Registered Member

Advice on Care & Feeding of Ritteri Anemone

Hello,

I just got a large Ritteri anemone (Heteractis magnifica) and am looking for experience, recommendations, etc., on duration of light, how often to feed and what kind of foods to give.

He seems to be happy so far and is already hosting my two Ocellaris clowns.

Thanks,
Kerry

kerrywnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Akram
Registered Member

You should have asked these questions long before you got him. Humans
Give it stability, and food.

Akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Kinetic
Registered Member

There's a few threads on magnificas already.

They need a ton of light (PAR 300 - 500 seems to be a sweet spot). They are closer to the surface, so they tend to get more white light than blue.

They do like a lot of flow, and will seek that out.

Flat and smooth surface is what they like to attach to (so they'll prefer glass over a porous reef rock).

If you can keep SPS alive in the tank well, then a magnifica should be fine. Just note that they will kill most corals they touch and will walk around until it finds a good balance of light and flow.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 02:10 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Usually given a high perch on rock, and not able to touch glass they tend to stay put reaching up for light.

The main key to keeping mag is bacterial infection they often come w/ on a newly shipped mag, so we always advise qt and observe for deflation of tentacles, and always have cipro ready for treatment should you see deflation, and that action needs to happen asap

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2018, 06:46 PM   #5
pfan151
Registered Member

Assuming it’s healthy now, unless it’s bleached I wouldn’t feed it at all. I have 2 currently and have totally stopped feeding them. They get random bits of whatever I am feeding the fish but I really believe target feeding them is totally unnecessary. Just gives them a chance of getting bad food and it doesn’t really seem to provide a benefit unless you are trying to grow the anemone.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote