Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2012, 09:04 AM   #351
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks guys.
I will get a piece of board for the big sump, good idea.
I have a 2x4 running underneath the smaller one helping to distribute some weight.

The shelving unit was purchased at a commercial shelving supply company here in houston. Each shelf is rated at around 1200 lbs. The wood is a dense press board and more than 1/2" thick, and I sealed it with a couple coats of kilz. If the wood still gets wet/deformed over time, not a big deal to replace. The plumbing is all set up to make draining quick and easy, and the empty containers, plumbing and pump can all be disconnected and removed from the shelving in less than 5 minutes.

The containers are 65g from Tractor Supply. I'm lucky enough to have one just a few miles from my house. This is also where the rubbermaid stock tanks came from.

Cheers!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 10:33 AM   #352
johnnie1960
Registered Member

wow guys those are some impessive setups They have given me some insperation I will definatly be stealing some of your ideas

johnnie1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 11:00 AM   #353
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:47 PM.
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 11:02 AM   #354
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

white bin is ro/di water monitored by Genesis rvoc. fills is automatically when low. brown bin is saltwater bin. run by a reeflo 2600gph snapper dart and a 1/6 hp chiller. Water changes are done by Genesis Renew.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2012, 10:19 AM   #355
jeremyjoslin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Just finished up my water mixing station.
Took a while to figure out being stacked rather than side by side, but I got it.
I needed it to do the following:

1. Send fresh RO/DI water from the top 65g container to the bottom 65g container.
2. Pull water out of the bottom of the bottom container and send back to the top of the bottom container to mix saltwater.
3. Drain water from the top container into a any other container via the flex hose.
4. Ditto for the bottom container.

The last two will work great for getting water into containers and to my office for my nano tank. Also for general draining/maintenance purposes.

You can also see some 1/4" water lines. The blue on top is the feed from the RO/DI unit and is complete with a float valve inside the container. The yellow will be run to my sump for auto top-off. Eventually there will be one more water line run from the bottom saltwater container to the sump which will be part of my auto water change setup using the LiterMeter pumps, just like i had in the old cube.

Concerning running your ATO line off the top tank... sounds like it will work OK now, but just an idea in case you ever progress to electric auto methods (like float switches and Apex unit). I use an Apex to allow ATO 5 times a day for 10 minutes each time. If I used your setup the tank wouldn't see any top off water for several hours after you drained the top tank... until it fills to the drain. An electric solenoid wouldn't like to be on/open for hours in that situation.

jeremyjoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2012, 01:08 PM   #356
d2mini
Registered Member

I typically use gravity and a float valve setup for my ATO. Always worked great for me.
And my auto water change setup is taken care of with my LiterMeter III replacing just ounces of water every few minutes, 24/7. There is an ATO option with the LM, but I just haven't seen a need yet to run my ATO electronically.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 02:18 PM   #357
rrasco
Registered Member

I've been following this thread for months, accumulating parts and designing my system based on ideas found here. And I finally built mine this weekend. ATO bucket will soon be a white 10g brute and electrical is going to be cleaned up. RODI is run through attic from laundry room to here, the fish room. The DT is on the other side of this wall.

Unread 08/24/2012, 10:14 PM   #358
kewadiak
Registered Member

2 65 gallon tanks with a blueline 40xd pump. I have a couple questions?

The tanks are vented is this okay or will my water get contaminated?

Do i need to keep the salt water circulating 24/7. Especially if the tanks are vented

any thoughts suggestions or opinions would be great!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3629.jpg (27.1 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3627.jpg (42.0 KB, 583 views)
kewadiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 04:34 AM   #359
jcmelski
Registered Member

Where r the tanks located? I have mine covered since mine r in my basement. I don't see a problem with the FSW tank being on a timer.

jcmelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2012, 10:39 PM   #360
CarlitosReef
Registered Member

BUMP I am at this stage right now just placed the order on my RODI so I am trying to set up my storage tanks! Bump for more ideas or a better visual explanation since most of you have different plumbing going on! gets me confuse

CarlitosReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2012, 04:48 AM   #361
yardboy
Advanced Bewilderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewadiak View Post
2 65 gallon tanks with a blueline 40xd pump. I have a couple questions?

The tanks are vented is this okay or will my water get contaminated?

Do i need to keep the salt water circulating 24/7. Especially if the tanks are vented

any thoughts suggestions or opinions would be great!
Mine are vented and outside but the saltwater tank is always circulating. I'm paranoid and think that the water will go stagnant if it isn't kept aerated, even though it shoudn't have any life in it.

Current Tank Info: 200g shallow cube, prop tank
yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2012, 05:26 AM   #362
MikeYQM
Registered Member

d2mini:

Looking at your stand, I used what looks to be the exact same for my sump/Fuge. The particle board got wet & started to crumble - would have given out but I caught it. I actually had to jack & brave the shelf while I built a brace.

I made a 2x4 frame for the tank to sit on that extends just past the rail to keep weight off the board & been ok since.

Heads up from my experience!

MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 02:11 PM   #363
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Ok. I gotta ask... You all have some very beautiful, and well engineered stations. I have been studying this thread and trying to design one myself.

Not criticizing anyone's build by any means, but, I do have one question, though. I was in the process of ordering two tanks when it hit me. Why does everyone have 2 large tanks of the same size? One to hold RO/DI and one to do the actual mixing. If the water is only transfered from the RO/DI tank to the mixing tank, can't the RO/DI water be transferred directly from the RO/DI filtration system directly to the mixing tank? I understand the need for having RO/DI water for top off purposes and such, but, why would so much be needed?

Again, please excuse my in-experience. Not poking holes in anyone's plans. Its just easier for me to design something if I understant the reason for it. May be an opportunity to save money and space by having a much smaller RO/DI tank and running a splitter from the RO/DI filtration system to fill whatever tank I'm needing filled. Mabye, I'll learn something, and end up having two twin tanks as well.

Thanks all!!!

Last edited by CedzAquAddictio; 09/17/2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: fd
CedzAquAddictio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2012, 02:17 PM   #364
rrasco
Registered Member

You answered your own question: just to have RODI on hand. I continually need topoff water, my system evaps 2-3 gallons/day. My RODI station feeds directly to my ATO reservoir at the turn of a valve, so it's basically for simplicity. I don't have to make water but once a week or so. Also in case of emergencies, you have RODI on hand to make new salt.

Unread 09/17/2012, 02:44 PM   #365
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Goodness. Your system actually evaporates 2-3 gallons per day? Mind if I ask how large your system is? I'm setting up a 120 gallon system w a 55 gallon sump. I know I'll have to have some RO/DI on reserve, but do you all think I'll be alright w a 55 gallon mixing tank & a 25 gallon RO/DI reserve tank?

Oh yeah. I also have a 55 gallon FOWLR office tank. That's 40 gallons for the 120 and 15 gallons for the office tank for water changes.

Unread 09/17/2012, 02:50 PM   #366
rrasco
Registered Member

Maybe it's more like 1-2 gallons, I just know I fill it up every other day or so.

The system is a 105 rimless with a 40 sump. It has LEDs, so it's not heat, but I think evap on rimless is typically higher as well.

Unread 09/17/2012, 03:23 PM   #367
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Goodness. I had no idea they could evaporate so quickly. I have my tank 85% covered for now. That may change once I get the canopy built.

Thanks for the info!!!

Unread 09/18/2012, 11:45 AM   #368
Forrest3320
Registered Member

These kind of theards just make me spend money and drive my wife nuts but sadly i have a lows bucket with a big spoon for now but only a 10 gallon tank dont need nothing crazy yet

Forrest3320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2012, 01:59 PM   #369
john reefer
Registered Member

I have a 125 w/ a 55 sump half covered and mine evaporates 1 1/2 gal a day .

john reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 04:50 PM   #370
cmacld
Registered Member

?s

so here is what i have mocked up.. 3 40 gallon tanks, pretty self explanatory.

My ? however is does this look alright to those who have done this already? or should i add a gate valve behind the mixing and ro tank on the intake line? didnt know if i would get unwanted air in the line when just intaking ro water or freshly mixed saltwater.

Current Tank Info: 100g rimless

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:47 PM.
cmacld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 06:00 PM   #371
CarlitosReef
Registered Member

There's no need to have a separate container for mixing because once you have salt water on hold it will constantly needs to be mixing anyways.

Can someone confirm this?

Sent from my private Jet.

CarlitosReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 08:11 PM   #372
cmacld
Registered Member

first of all that is not true.
second i want to be able to mix up a new batch prior to my current being used completely.
i run a continuous water change of 2 gallons per day, i dont want to have to take my water exchange off line in order to make a new batch.

Unread 09/23/2012, 08:21 PM   #373
Padrino
Registered Member

Id just have 2 larger 55 gal barrels. Thats just my 2 cents thou
Cheers

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2012, 11:27 PM   #374
cmacld
Registered Member

i dont have the footprint for 55 gallon barrels, i actually just gave two of them away.

i posted earlier i want to be able to mix a new batch up separate from my current NSW container.

After 24 hours of thoroughly mixing a new batch of SW it will be sent to the NSW res, where it will used in my continuous water change.

the extra mixing container also gives me the option of making any size batch up to 40 gal with little effort, send ro, dump salt, mix and send to res.

this also aids in cleansing of the containers, as i will not be mixing but in one container and the precipitates will only be left in the mixing container. which i can clean and still have my water change in line while doing so.

ill just add the ball valves to be safe, and post with results when finished.

Cheers

Unread 09/24/2012, 12:42 AM   #375
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

I would use at least 2 pumps and more plumbing to be able to control the mixing functionality. You should try to think of every possible way you will want to use this configuration and make sure your pumbing and pipe structure supports it.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote